Join our zoo community

Singapore Night Safari Singapore Night Safari News

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Ituri, 28 Feb 2009.

1. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sad to hear. It underlines the fact (or at least my impression) that the zoos of Mandai Wildlife Reserve have phased out more and more species in the last 2 decades. Of course I know that MWR is not alone with that. Still, for me, Singapore Zoo has so lost a lot of its attratcivity as well as Night Safari. Fortunately there was also the birth of a complete new Zoo with River Wonders and there will be one complete new rainforest park and one new bird park (instead of Jurong) in future, but the later will have less species then Jurong BP afaik.

2. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mandai's animal collection has grown over the years with close to 1000 species now. The increase is mainly from freshwater fishes, herptiles and invertebrates though. The bird collection is currently in flux as they transition to a new collection plan for the Bird Paradise. I think the number of mammal species has remained more or less the same. What has been lost are the Southeast Asian small mammals that are rare in captivity. Their populations were not sustainable and the current management at Mandai has moved away from acquiring animals from non-institutional sources. So much of the animal collection now comprises species already represented in zoos and part of species management programmes.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I find this sort of unlucky because local rare species is something that increases attractivity of a collection for us nerds. And while a decision to not aquire animals from animal trade is laudable, there is still that endless stream of illegal pets and black trade that get seized by authorities and needs a new home.

When the new parrot house at Prague opened recently, the head of anti-smuggling department of our Ministry of enviroment made a comment that 3/4 of the inhabitants of the house were actually supplied by them (or are progeny of once seized birds).

Singapore is a trade hub and I guess that also includes live wild animals. What usually happens to them there once the authorities catch them?

zoomaniac likes this.
  4. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not that close to MWR as you are, so that's why I add the phrase with "my impression" as a precaution;);):D
    But before I (completely) surrender, let me still put in a few remarks:
    Isn't it true that MWR had (at the end of the 90s/beginning of the 2000s) about 1000 species as well (close to 700 species at Jurong Bird Park, more then 300 species at Singapore Zoo AND Night Safari)?
    I have no doubt that MWR has now more invertebrate and fish (and maybe also reptile/amphibian) species after River Safari/River Wonders has opened its doors. Also, the new small(er) mammals from South America for RS may have equalized the loss of the small(er) mammal species from SEA at Night Safari and/or Singapore Zoo. But what about other (=bigger) mammals species? About a dozen of ungulate species are phased out (e.g. Red Hartebeest, Black Wildebeest, Springbock, Impala or Kafue Letchwe to name just a few), as well as many crocodilian species and also important species for common visitors like Pumas, Mandrills, Polar Bears and soon Asiatic Black Bear are/will be gone. In the meantime, only Giant Pandas came into the collection as big(ger) mammal species. Also the rare-in-zoos cape subspecie of the giraffe was replaced by boring common subspecies.
    I can (at least mostly) understand the steps of the MWR Mangement in this point. However, I stay with my statement, that for me, Singapore Zoo and Night Safari are less attractive compared to my first visits about 20/25 years ago. On the other hand, those institutions belong quality wise - again: for me - still to the best zoological institutions in the world. And I hope that, after Rainforest Park and the new Bird Park are built, MWR will let my forget my concerns I have at the moment.

Mathijs and StoppableSan like this.
  5. Casuarius_casuarius

Casuarius_casuarius Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the past, live exotic animals that were seized, were first sent to the Singapore zoo's wildlife hospital for any necessary treatment or quarantine, with some eventually being absorbed into Mandai's collection upon successful recovery.

Over the years, the increase in the reputable efforts of the 'Animal Concerns, Research & Education Society (ACRES)', alongside the recent launch of the National Parks Board's new 'Centre for Wildlife Rehabilitation', have expanded the availability of housing avenues for wildlife rescued from the illicit trade.

StoppableSan and noobmaster69 like this.
  6. Casuarius_casuarius

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Zooish

I don't think Jurong ever had 700 species, probably closer to 500 at its prime. But you are right about African ungulates, they were not replaced and probably will not return for the forseeable future. The new Rainforest Wild might get duikers but that's about it. I guess coming from Europe you will find Mandai's collection boring because it is becoming more European! Ever since it joined EAZA many of the new acquisitions are EEP species.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Casuarius_casuarius

I think Mandai’s Rainforest Park would also benefit from the inclusion of regional, eye-catching plants in its future collection, like the titan arum & some lowland (or even highland) Nepenthes & Begonia species.

9. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member

Apparently the main zoo has Kirk's dik-diks right?

10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can they be seen by the public?

Rescued local animals are important for education, because city people paradoxically better know big exotic animals like giraffe or zebra than smaller animals living in their own country. And, in Europe, rescued local animals founded local reintroduction programs where these species were locally extinct.

This is besides that us zoo lovers greatly want to see a linsang or a flying squirrel but already seen too many giraffes.

11. Zooish

I believe both Dik-diks died earlier this year.

12. BucerosKeeper

BucerosKeeper Active Member

ACRES is somewhat open to the public, you can drop them a message on the social media sites or via email if you want to arrange a visit.

Though ACRES rarely holds any of the animals they come across apart from some local birds and mostly illegal pets (common pet tortoises and turtles form the bulk of their collection), most of the animals they rescue actually go to Mandai for medical attention and from there they either remain at the quarantine areas for repatriation or get sent to the National Parks Board.

It’s also worth noting that ACRES is being somewhat condemned by a growing number of the public for aligning more with the views of some extreme animal rights views.

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Does Night Safari still plan to exhibit Tasmanian devils? If so, when are they set to arrive?

14. Zooish

Yes they still do. The Devils might arrive later this year or early next year.

Nix and StoppableSan like this.
  15. honeybadger

honeybadger Active Member

How about the kiwis? Common barn owl occupy the exhibit in front of morepork now.

16. Casuarius_casuarius

There was a Kiwi that arrived in quarantine at the Jurong Bird Park in February of this year, as told to me by an acquaintance who works there.

However, I’m not certain of its current status.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2022
  17. Zooish

I've heard that 0.4 Tasmanian Devils have arrived. They should be ready for display by late November.

18. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Do you know from where they arrived?

19. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’d be from an Australian facility. Devils@Cradle in Tasmania breeds them in large numbers and has supplied a number of zoos around the world in recent years, so that’d be my guess.

Nix likes this.
  20. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member