Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo Arapaimas

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by noobmaster69, 26 Jul 2021.

1. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member

I know they're there in the Primate Kingdom moat, but has anyone actually seen them? Or are they always under the murky water and never need to surface. And can they count as a threat to the monkeys?

2. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Had never seen them in Singapore Zoo, nor do have I heard of them. You probably would have a bigger luck finding them in River Safari. If they are in the murky moats of Primates enclosure, then they would most likely stay there and never surfaced (and Arapaimas doesn't have mouth big enough to snatch the primates anyway, so I don't think they are a threat).

3. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Arapaima have not been kept at the Primate Kingdom (more specifically the Douc Langur exhibit) moat for many years. Doucs are probably too large for the arapaima to prey on and in any case the Doucs almost never descend to the ground.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Shame to hear they're not kept in the moat anymore. On my last visit to Singapore Zoo, they were fed from a pole during the primate talks. It was fantastic to see how quickly they could burst out of the water. Is there something similar at the River Safari?

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sadly not, the arapaima feed is scattered in the water at the River Safari exhibit (manatee tank).

PAT likes this.