Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo news 2007-2008

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 8 Jan 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They'll probably have a hand in designing some of the tank displays; they've already done a number of aquarium and vivarium displays for the zoo, night safari and birdpark.

The freshwater attraction (tentatively labelled as the "River Safari" project) goes beyond fish, and will have its main focus on mammals which live in or around water. It will cover about 10 hectares. It is being planned to incorporate a boat ride on the reservoir which will allow viewing of exhibits built along the shore, in addition to many underwater-viewing galleries viewed on foot.

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

Wjhat species of mammal Zooish?

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i bet they try to get some freshwater dolphins...

4. Zooish

I don't know about freshwater dolphins, but plans i've heard include only common zoo species like hippos, elephants, jaguars and waterfowl. What they intend to do is have underwater viewing for species normally not displayed as such like the elephants and jaguars.

This project is still very much under wraps, more details will probably emerge by the end of the year.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hopefully they will take the manatees out of that shared exhibit with the penguins and sea lions, and give them their own exhibit.

6. Zooish

Ah Meng has passed away

Singapore Zoo's famed orang Ah Meng has passed away today, at the age of 48. She died of natural old age.

The zoo has really lost an icon; she will be greatly missed.

7. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

That is sad news, however 48 is a grand old age for an Orang!

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does Singapore actually keep Manatees with sea lions and peguins. I never been and i always thought of it as a more for the animals sort of zoo but i guess i'm wrong.

9. patrick

pat, singapore is like any other zoo in relation to the way it treats its animals. they are undeniably among the world's top zoos, but like all the others have not evaded accusations of animal cruelty and the likes. if you ever can go see for yourself, but personally, i found amongst this gorgeous tropical rainforest environment, plenty of tiny enclosures.

the area you talk of is the "splash amphitheater". as its name suggests it is a small amphitheater with a small show pool with a glass-fronted wall. at one end is an even smaller manatee display pool and the other end a very small penguin display pool. sliding doors allow the animals into the center "show" pool. first time i strolled past a sealion was performing (catching frisbees, thrown by audience members) in the show pool. later when i returned, no show was on and the largest manatee was given access to the larger show pool.

i assume the sealion is kept "out back" someplace when shows are not on.

overall some of the exhibits are world-class and very few can be called "bad" but certainly its not without its flaws.

10. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for that Patrick. Here i was expecting a huge tank with a Manatee, A few penguins and a sea lion swimming around trying to take a bit out of them all.

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this news Zooish, she was a doll

12. Zooish

The sealions have access to salt-water pools at the back (off-show), and that's where they hang out most of the time. The water in the main exhibit is fresh.

13. Zooish

Yeah she was...

Without going into a debate over the ethics of 'humanizing' animals, it was amazing to see 4,000 people turn up early Sunday morning to attend her memorial.

Few other animals can command such adoration. She was truly iconic.

14. Zooish

The sealions have access to salt-water pools at the back (off-show), and that's where they hang out most of the time. The water in the main exhibit is fresh.

The manatees have access to the larger pool at all times. They stay away from it during show times as keepers feed them in the smaller pool. The only time when they are confined to the smaller pool is if they need to be isolated for whatever reasons (medical, transport etc)

Likewise, the penguins have access to all pools, but only the penguins have access to their small private pool.

Its a weird mix, but the animals get along swimmingly (pun intended), with all the species in good health and reproducing regularly.

**Sorry for the double post, not sure what button i hit by mistake

15. patrick

wow! whilst it was obvious the animals shared space i didn't know it was at the same time!!

wonder why they keep the "main pool" fresh? penguins (african from memory?) and caribbean manatees (with exceptions) are both also marine species.

also zooish, whats this "jungle" exhibit thing the zoo is building near the splash/elephant areas?

16. Zooish

The main pool was built a long time ago (late 80s i think), at that time the technology wasn't too advanced yet. To totally retrofit the pool and turn it saltwater was deemed too expensive. So they decided to just build several saltwater pools in the sealion den. The sealions seemed to be the ones most adversely affected by freshwater, with eye problems, so the saltwater tanks were built to alleviate the problem.

The "jungle" exhibit is actually a new covered amphitheatre. They're gonna have a new show called "The Rainforest Fights Back" in May. Sounds tacky enough... lol

17. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Hmm... interesting. Longleat keeps their sealions in a freshwater lake and as far as I know, there have been no problems.

However, if I recall correctly, the keepers do give them salt tablets inside the fish, so this may be a reason why there have been no troubles...

18. patrick

thanks zooish.

"rainforest fights back" sound very singapore. i'm hoping it doesn't include orangutans with boxing gloves ;)

it's of little surprise that manatees are cool with the fresh water. they inhabit it naturally. but i am no fan of keeping true marine species in freshwater, though its common enough in many zoos around the world.

love manatees!!!

19. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

20. patrick

the most successful place with clouded leopards i believe is this CRC, which is funded by the national zoo in washington (?)...

Adopt a Clouded Leopard - National Zoo| FONZ

read the bottom section on the "international effort" - is says they have bred over 70 at the CRC...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.