Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo news 2007-2008

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 8 Jan 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I don't think that there is a single organization in the world that can even remotely compare to the offshoot of the Washington D.C. Zoo for breeding clouded leopards. Over 70 leopards is an insanely productive number.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

ah... the clouded leopard.

every zoo connessieurs favorite cat!

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Yep have to agree with you on that, I remember the Howletts zoos have bred quite a few of them, I saw on ISIS that Howletts have 5.5. 2 births, Port Lypmne 0. 3

4. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Singapore Zoo animals will fly first class on SIA

Singapore Zoo's animals will now fly on board Singapore Airlines Cargo planes for transport to overseas zoos. This partnership will mean that freight costs, once a huge deciding cost factor in animal exchange, will no longer be a big issue as SIA cargo will offer a special rate to the Zoo. It also means a shorter, and probably more bearable journey for the animals.

Hopefully this new deal will spur more animal exchange in the next few years.

5. patrick

in that case can i please put in an order for...

manatees, clouded leopards, jaguars, have a couple of those breeding pygmy hippo you keep breeding. also i wouldn't say no to a douc and proboscis monkey.

hmmmmm.....

oh yeah and give us some of the other little things. prevost's squirrels, some hoffman's sloth and maybe an anteater?

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are clouded leopards in the ARAZPA collection plans at all? :confused:

Re on-topic: What new projects are in the works at Singapore Zoo?
    Why is their elephant herd splintered over the 2 parks (Zoo and Night Safari)?

7. Zooish

Manatees, pygmy hippos, jaguars, doucs and proboscis, not a problem, breed yearly, surplus animals all the time. Cloudies, maybe not ;)

Wow, your timing is impeccable Pat, we just had a week-old baby Linne's sloth (Hoffman's were phased out for some weird reason), and a 3 month-old Giant anteater!

8. Zooish

New projects:
    A major new children's zoo is opening in Sept or Nov this year, with mostly domestic animals and some small creatures like reptiles and invertebrates.

A new rainforest-themed show coming up in June, with primates, birds and small mammals.

A boat ride around the Zoo's perimeter starts in June. In future, it will lead to a new 10 hectare zone between the Zoo and Night Safari sites which will be dedicated to freshwater ecosystems.

The elephant herd is split specifically for display reasons, to maintain 2 groups on display at the separate parks. That said, the cows from the Zoo can be walked over to the bull at Night Safari for breeding purposes.

The Zoo's 5 female elephants also include 2 Sumatrans and 1 Sri Lankan which are not for breeding; the rest of the elephants are Malayan.

9. patrick

i was reading a recent update of the subspecies status of asian elephants.

the sri lankan elephant E.m.maximus has been deemed obsolete and one and the same as the mainland elephant E.m.indicus, although its nominate name of E.m.maximus that will be used for this form due to the rules of nomenclature. for many, many years certain scientists have disputed the recognition of sri lankas elephants as a unique subspecies citing among other things, that so many domestic mainland elephants have been brought to the island for so many hundreds of years, that mainland genetic are totally polluted through even the wild population.

interesting.

anyhow, i wonder how many other sumatran elephants there are in captivity in zoos?

10. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I was looking on Pedro's gallery, and I remember seeing some pictures of Sumatran elephants there.

Ragunan and Surabaya zoos have them.

11. Zooish

Sumatran eles in captivity are probably mostly or even entirely confined to Indonesian zoos, save for the 2 in Singapore, which came from Taman Safari Indonesia.

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The first animals under this arrangement have left the zoo two Singapore born chimpanzees have been flown to South Africa to a zoo called "Mystic monkeys and feathers zoo", a new one on me!

13. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

||Genius Loci||

It appears to be a small zoo on a safari ranch.

14. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

There are also two females sumatran elephants in Tierpark Berlin. They're coming from Taman Safari as well and are probably the only ones in Europe.
    I've been to two indonesian zoos so far and I've seen a breeding group only in Ragunan. Surabaya has no breeding so far and the elephants are held in very poor conditions.

15. Zooish

Taman Safari has a good breeding programme going on for Sumatrans. Its a pretty decent zoo too, spacious and well-maintained.

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Do they have a website at all?

17. Zooish

yeah its a privately-run zoo. Not easy finding homes for 2 sub-adult male chimps these days.

18. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

I'll try to go to Taman Safari too when I'll be back to Indonesia.
    Do you know if purple faced langurs will be put on exhibit for summer 08 at Singapore zoo ??

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In fact, the PKBSI (Indonesian zoo association) president is director Jansen Manansang from Taman Safari. He is a visionary guy and plays a pivotal role in most CBSG/ISIS planning exercises! Tempu dulu will eventually prevail in Indonesian wildlife conservation.

Re NGO's and conservation: please give a thought to Walhi, the Kalaweit Foundation and all those other NGO's striving desperately for better conservation programmes of flora and fauna in Indonesia and introducing ethics in sustainable development. Sustainable biodiversity instead of poverty and clearfelling for quick profit (and only driven by western consumers)!

20. Zooish

Very unlikely. No suitable enclosure is available to display them currently. I can't be sure but this species may eventually be phased out and the remaining animals returned to their native Sri Lanka.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.