Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 9 Apr 2016.

1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

Some updates from the Zoo:

Critters Longhouse is no more. In its place is the Tortoise Shell-ter, a reptile display focusing on endangered tortoises. Current exhibit/species list:

Indian Star Tortoise
    Yellow-footed Tortoise, Green Iguana, Argentine Tegu
    Burmese Star Tortoise
    African Spurred Tortoise, Rock Monitor
    Ploughshare Tortoise
    Elongated Tortoise
    Radiated Tortoise, Veiled Chameleon

The Zoo seems to be beefing up its reptile collection and displays, probably thanks to a new Curator for Herpetology (formerly from Zoo Aquarium Madrid) appointed this year. In particular, the Zoo and River Safari have close to 40 species of Chelonians on display at the moment.

As for the former inhabitants of Critters Longhouse, sadly the Spotted Mousedeer, Pygmy Marmoset, Goeldi's Monkey, African Ground Squirrel and Kinkajou have gone off-display. The Prevost's and Finlayson's Squirrels and Northern Tree Shrew have a new exhibit at Fragile Forest. The Leopard Cat and Malayan Porcupine have moved to Night Safari.

The Zoo also seems to be setting up another Orang Utan free-ranging area, near Primate Kingdom.

*Note from Chlidonias: this thread split from http://www.zoochat.com/266/singapore-zoo-news-2011-2015-a-232867/index10.html

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Oct 2016
  2. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

:( Well as much as it is great that they are expanding their reptile collection, it is indeed a pity to see Critters Longhouse go away. Was actually planning to see what changes have been made this few weeks after such a long refurbishment... well now I have something else to view. The animals housed in the longhouse were some of the most interesting animals in the zoo (to me, at least) so it is saddening to see most of them go away..

Regarding the Orang Utan Island, where exactly in Primate Kingdom do you think they are building it in? Didn't actually notice any construction last week when I was there

Also, did you check out what they did with the African lion enclosure?

Last edited: 9 Apr 2016
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

that is sort of mixed good and bad news. I was just looking at the photos before I came to the thread and my initial thought was "oh no, no more small mammals in there" but then my immediate second thought was "those tanks are better suited to reptiles anyway!"

Its a pity some of the mammals are fully off-display now, especially the spotted mouse deer. Are the squirrels and tree shrews actually in Fragile Forest now, or just in separate enclosures there?

4. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

Hi TheDisneyTeen, I'm sure the small mammals that are off display now will be put back on display when appropriate enclosures are available.

It's not an island for the Orang Utans. The Zoo has put up vines and hot wire on a cluster of Albizia saman trees between the Douc Langur island and Pavilion by the Lake. I assume it is for Orang Utans as it is a similar set up to the existing free ranging areas.

For the Lion enclosure, works were carried out to widen the moat and add an additional fence overhang on the visitor's side.

5. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks appropriate for a reptile display.

Nope, the squirrels have a small glass-fronted enclosure of their own at the exit of the Biodome.

6. Calyptorhynchus

Calyptorhynchus Well-Known Member

It's great to see such endangered species on display at the new Tortoise exhibit. The Ploughshare Tortoises and Burmese Stars are a special treat :D

Singapore's collection of chelonians is probably one of the best in the world. They just received 2 female Aldabra Tortoises that just joined their existing herd (now 7 animals).

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

Any info on numbers of the various threatened tortoises on the collection?
    (esp. the elongateds, Burmese browns and both Madagascan species!)

8. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

From what I can see on display at Tortoise Shell-ter (don't know if there are more off show) - 2 Burmese Stars, 3 Ploughshares, 2 Radiated, 3 Elongated, 2 Sulcata, 3 Yellow-footed.

More specimens of the elongateds, sulcatas and yellow-footed are housed in other exhibits too.

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

Are the Ploughshares new to the Singapore collection? Where did they come from?

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

they were illegal animals seized by the Agri‐Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore in 2009. There were three originally; I think one died later.

If they have three on display they must have recieved some more seized animals?

11. zooboy28

Thanks Chlidonias. It would be fantastic if they bred in Singapore. Presumably these new indoor exhibits provide a more appropriate climate for these species, as well as offering greater security than the external yards.

Ploughshares are a species I have yet to see, so are now ranked as my #1 species to see in Singapore!

12. Calyptorhynchus

Calyptorhynchus Well-Known Member

Two of the Tortoises are from that seize, a third one was confiscated more recently.

And there are 3 Burmese Star Tortoises, 5 Radiated and 2 Yellow-footed on exhibit ;)

13. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

1 Proboscis Monkey born on 1st April.

14. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Another proboscis monkey birth is great. Anyone aware of the current population of the breeding troop in the zoo? Also, in the rainforest walk exhibit, it seems that the zoo has introduced hornbills into the exhibit again. Is the species of hornbill Oriental Pied (based on the diagram on the map)? If I recall correctly, there used to be hornbills in the same enclosure as the monkeys too some time back, (if i remember correctly, was it rhinoceros back then?). Are these hornbills all from the bird park? If I am not mistaken, the exhibit used to house a species of muntjacs. However I haven't seen them in a while, have they been phased out/off-exhibit/moved to other zoos/returned to the night safari? I'm unsure because the map had never represented them on the map but I've seen them on one occasion some time ago and have never every since.

15. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

The monkeys are kept in 3 separate groups. 2 groups for breeding (one of them off-show) and a bachelor pair at the Rainforest Walk exhibit. I don't have the total number though. A male and female pair of Oriental Pied Hornbills and a pair of females Indian Muntjacs are housed with the monkeys at Rainforest Walk.

16. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Thanks Zooish for the information! Have to look out for the Muntjacs the next time I'm there! :)

17. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

18. zooboy28

Singapore Zoo has mentioned (on Facebook) an extension to the Orangutan free-range area, extending towards the "Pavilion by the Lake". This is not marked on the map, but I presume it is the "Garden Pavilion" and the new area takes in what was the elephant ride space? Alternatively it could be extending down towards the Ah Meng memorial area, but that seems too far away.

19. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

@zooboy28: Extension is not an appropriate description as the new area is completely separate from the existing areas. The new area is between Primate Kingdom (douc langur island) and the Pavilion by the Lake.

20. zooboy28

Thanks Zooish. Has that replaced anything? Is the Goeldi's monkey exhibit still there? Do the orangutans just get taken there daily, but still have accommodation in the main area, or has new housing been built as well?

Do you know of any plans for the old elephant ride/bath area?