Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by kiang, 23 Jan 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

electric blue gecko is a nice one! Horned lizard and caiman lizard are also not too shabby. Interesting that all the species in publicity are exotic ones.

2. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps entirely intentional, as the Southeast Asian herptile collection will supposedly be presented at the new Rainforest Park. Or maybe its just because those exotic species have nice colours!

zooboy28 likes this.
  3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

... or are simply more interesting for Singaporians then the "common" local herpetofauna like cobras, reticulated pythons, water monitors and asian turtles that can be found in the backyard ...;)

Zooish likes this.
  4. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Red-shanked Douc was born on 24 April (sex unknown at present).

To answer a question from earlier in this thread, the Geoffroy's Spider Monkeys came from Switzerland (Basel Zoo).

Kifaru Bwana, Zooish and zooboy28 like this.
  5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

zooboy28 likes this.
  6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Singapore will be sending a 5 year old make and 1.5 year old female, I guess offspring they wish to offload given limited off-exhibit space required to prevent inbreeding?

Do they need more elephants? Will these be displayed at the Zoo or Night Safari?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Neither exhibit really feels spacious as it is.

8. zooboy28

I hope an expansion of the Zoo exhibit is planned for the future, especially as species leave the Zoo for the Rainforest Park. The elephants used to get walked through part of the Zoo to the bathing pool and ride area, but I don't think that happens any more, which reduces their available space. I can imagine Singapore could create a much nicer exhibit than the current exhibit as well, which feels smaller as it is largely circled by the path.
    I'm not sure on the size of the Night Safari exhibits, but at least the cows there get some time in the other exhibit near River Safari during the day.

9. Zooish

Interesting news, I didn't think WRS needed more elephants. It already has 11, 2 of which are males. Of the females, 1 is E.m.maximus, and 2 are E.m.sumatranus; the rest are E.m.indicus.

The new elephants will likely go to Night Safari. Besides the enclosures seen from the tram, there is another enclosure which can only be seen from the River Safari Cruise.

There was a plan to consolidate all the elephants at the Zoo and Night Safari into one herd at a single location. Perhaps that might happen at the new Rainforest Park South section.

zooboy28 likes this.
  10. Zooish

I'm told the elephants do get walked around the Zoo outside of park opening hours.

zooboy28 likes this.
  11. zooboy28

Are you suggesting that elephants would no longer be displayed at either Zoo or Night Safari in that case (or perhaps shuffled between Rainforest Park and Night Safari daily)?

12. Zooish

Possibly no more elephants at the Zoo. For Rainforest Park South (the section that sits on current Night Safari land), there is a plan to integrate the exhibits with the Night Safari's tram ride - so the exhibits can be viewed both in the day and at night.

PAT and zooboy28 like this.
  13. Zooish

First look at RepTopia courtesy of the lighting contractor's Instagram account:

Instagram post by Metalmek • May 22, 2017 at 2:42am UTC

Quite a change from the old snake house. RepTopia will be divided into 4 zones - Indo-Pacific, African Jungle, Neotropics and Deserts of the World. It opens to the public this Saturday.

zooboy28 likes this.
  14. zooboy28

That looks way different and much more modern than the Snake House, and I am very keen to hear the full species list once it has been visited! The lack of natives is surprising, but presumably this is due to the eventual display of these species in the Rainforest Park.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really looks neat!

Perhaps timed for another visit some time soon!
    When is opening scheduled for?

16. zoomaniac

Sorry, judging from the pictures(!) I'm not that happy. A lot of mock rock and artificial plants (although nicely designed) that could have been used for (additional) animal exhibits.

By the way (I'm not a herpeto expert): Is it necessary to create a building with clima controlled conditions for tropical reptiles even in Singapore?

17. Zooish

27 May, this Saturday

18. Zooish

Those are live plants actually!

A number of species are non native and will need some level of climate control. I suspect the air conditioning is mostly for visitor comfort though.

19. zoomaniac

Sorry for the confusion: I did not mean the small green plants, I was thinking at the trees surrounded by strangler fig roots. (Or are they really real? - if so, then I beg your pardon of course).

Thank you for explanation for phrase 2. Yes, I remember that air condition at Singapore Zoo could sometimes be very welcome...:)

20. Zooish

Those "trees" are fake indeed :)

*Sorry folks the Instagram post has been removed.

Last edited: 22 May 2017