Join our zoo community

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 5 Feb 2019.

1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Zoo posted on their Facebook page that they lost their only female giraffe (and her unborn calf) to a birthing complication today. Previously another female also died due to pregnancy complications. There are only 2 male giraffes left at WRS parks.

https://www.facebook.com/wrs.sg/

Last edited: 5 Feb 2019
  2. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very sad news.
    However, giraffes in european and us zoos aren't rare. How difficult is it for Singapore to get specimens from there? (Afaik, Singapore had different subspecies, I don't know to which the remaining males belong to)

3. Zooish

I think it is a logistics issue of transporting the giraffes rather than availability. For some reason the Zoo could not acquire the same subspecies when it created its new herd in 2005, so it ended up with a male Rothchild's and two female Cape giraffes. Both females have died, leaving behind the male Rothchild's and one of its male hybrid offspring.

4. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for your answer, Zooish!

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting that that has changed as only a few years earlier Singapore successfully imported a Rotschildt's Giraffe from Burgers' Zoo in the Netherlands. May it have something to do with stricted food and mouth disease regulations?

6. Zooish

Oh transporting a giraffe to Singapore is certainly possible, as you mentioned with the example of the giraffe imported from Burgers'. What I meant was that factors such as high cost, air freight versus sea freight, charter schedule, etc would limit the options available to import giraffes. For air freight for example, i understand that only very young giraffes can be transported using that option as there are height restrictions.

I'm not sure why imports from regional collections were not considered. Safari World in Bangkok for instance has a huge herd of giraffes, i'm sure they could spare a few for export. Perhaps disease control might be a reason.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Zooish

8. leone

leone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

beautiful zoo

9. BucerosKeeper

BucerosKeeper Active Member