Join our zoo community

Six parks/zoos near Johannesburg

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by MRJ, 4 Mar 2018.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I am currently staying in the Mulders Drift district just a little North-west of Johannasburg. This region has a number of wedding venues, country hotels, wineries etc. While here I became aware of the following six private parks in the region. My schedule (I am attending a wedding) prohibit me from visiting any of them but I thought I might mention them so that another zoo-chatter visiting the region might be able to include a visit.

The Elephant Sanctuary
    Rhino and Lion Reserve
    Lion & Safari Park
    Monkey Sanctuary
    Hattie’s Horse Trail Safari
    Mountain Sanctuary Park (this one at 1000ha is much closer to a wild environment)

I would be interested to hear if anybody has visited any of them.

2. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

You're probably no longer in SA but I've been to every one of these except monkey Sanctuary.
    If you ever do visit again, Rhino and Lion Safari Park will be the nicest and have the most species out of the list. ;):D

MRJ likes this.
  3. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

You would be right, I'm no longer in SA. In fact I was only there for I think 3 or 4 nights attending a wedding, then 4 nights at Chobe National Park in Botswana then back home to Australia, and all that was back in 2018, I'd encourage you to write a short review on these properties (what they are like, what animals they have) if you have the time. I am sure others on Zoochat would appreciate it, and I am interested to learn a little about what I missed.

Nix likes this.