Join our zoo community

Skink Surprise: Young Hatch Early when Eggs are Disturbed

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by findi, 9 Jul 2013.

Tags:
  1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Herpetologists studying Australia’s Delicate Skink (Lampropholis delicata) discovered, quite by accident, that this species’ embryos somehow sense danger when their eggs are disturbed. In response, the tiny lizards erupt en masse – even if they are not quite ready to hatch! Also employed by Red-Eyed Treefrog tadpoles (Agalychnis callidryas, please see photo) this unique strategy is just one of many new discoveries indicating that reptile and amphibian embryos are more aware of their environments than we imagined (the embryos of some turtles even seek heat within the egg – please see article linked below). The fact that the Delicate Skink is a very common species, and that the discovery was made in a park near Sydney, Australia, also shows the value of studying animals that are near-at-hand – all hold secrets! Read the rest of this article here: Skinks Surprise Researchers - Baby Lizards Hatch Early When DisturbedThat Reptile Blog

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile BlogThat Reptile Blog

Thanks, Frank Indiviglio

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Skink Surprise..

This is on the same principle as baby birds fledging prematurely when disturbed, & refusing to go back to what they perceive as a dangerous place.

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting Frank.

It is very true that even the most common animals and plants in our back yards can be as interesting as the megafauna of the savanna or exotic creatures of the rain forests.