Join our zoo community

Small Carnivore Conservation: what has changed?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by DesertRhino150, 27 Mar 2012.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A shame for me, since I love small carnivores. I've been hoping that with the recent trend of "nerds and science are cool!" there would be more interest in obscure animals. I'm still holding out hope!

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for posting this link Chlidonias ! I already knew it and have seen a lot of the articles so no sleepless nights for me ;) !

4. Chlidonias

I think it is unlikely given the short lifespan of pretty much all the captive specimens. In fact I came across a 2006 paper in Oryx which explicitly said they have never been bred in captivity.

5. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I feel like small mammals in general are increasingly on a trend out, with the few remaining specimens/species usually focused on those that are active or cute and cuddly. Small carnivorous mammals are rarely either of those things, and small cats and dogs come closest, but are easily substituted by lions and wolves. It's a shame, because in a good exhibit, I think small carnivores could be highlighted well.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Always a fun read!

I believe the Wassenaar animals got to something like 6 years, so lifespan would not rule it out. Be interested to root out that paper, mind you :)

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Crazy. Small mammals (especially the carnivores!) are some of the cutest animals around, that's why I was surprised to hear that they're unpopular with zoos.

8. Chlidonias

from a display perspective there are all sorts of issues with small mammals, high amongst them being that most are largely or entirely nocturnal; a lot of them are anti-social so can't make meerkat-style exhibits; a lot are relatively short-lived so the captive populations can crash easily; in some species if they aren't bred the females become sterile; most of the mustelids are stinky. Just a few of the reasons there aren't more species in zoos.

9. Chlidonias

did they even have more than one otter civet? The maximum recorded longevity in captivity was the female at Wassenaar at 5 years 2 months, from June 1967 to August 1972 (this is the 1967-1972 date given in Zootierliste, so not six years total).

I can't find anything else which mentions any other individuals being kept there.

10. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. baboon

This is so sad as the Blanford's fox is the only fox species adapted for a cliff habitat. Very interesting species!

12. baboon

Thank you ! European zoos are so interesting that you can always find some rare species unexpectedly ;)

I am interested that why western zoos don't lik large Indian civet, I think it is the most beautiful civet species :confused:

13. baboon

Than you ! It is cool!

14. Chlidonias

that's what Europeans think about Asian zoos! :D

15. Chlidonias

the main problem with that idea is that the "responsible zoos" are then actively supporting that (often illegal) wildlife trade. Once they start buying up animals in the markets the result would actually be an increase in trade in those species. Firstly you've still got the demand from the locals who would normally be buying the animals the zoos are buying instead, plus as soon as it is known that the zoos are willing to buy all these small mammals the level of trapping would increase dramatically to fill that need. So the zoos would be driving an increase in a probably already unsustainable level of trapping.

It is jolly hard visiting animal markets and not wanting to buy the animals to set them free, but to do so is actually counter-productive. (Not for the individual animals of course, but from the point of view of the trade itself).

The way to do it would be for a zoo/zoos to organise specific trapping of a target species, so that it does not create the idea that there is an additional demand for it amongst the local hunters.

16. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or try to obtain already captive animals from a local zoo (via animal exchange) or from wildlife shelters (like confiscated slower loris). Lots of red tape involved, one way or another.

17. baboon

I Agree with you. Thus it seems that one of the best way is attaining animals from the police or rescue center. :)

18. Chlidonias

yes those ways would be ideal also. I was thinking of the rarer and more unusual species which aren't normally in the zoos or seizures (mainly because of the talk about otter civets!).

The procedure would be tailored to the required species of course, as to whether wild-capture, zoo transfers, or "rescuing" seized animals would be most applicable.

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

On checking my copy of Walker's Mammals, I found I had incorrectly recalled the figure given there, which I had thought said 6 years and presumably included the age of the animal on arrival - but as you note, it says five years and presumably does *not* include the age of the animal on arrival :p

I had thought two animals arrived, actually, but I may have been wrong. I daresay Tim May or Gentle Lemur may know for sure, as I think both of them visited the collection during this time.

With the exception of Binturong, viverrid taxa are pretty uncommon as a whole - much to my regret.

20. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just a general observation but is it possible the decline of small carnivores and ungulates in proper zoos is in correlation to their superficial resemblances to pets or farm animals?