Join our zoo community

Small Carnivores in UK collections

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hexaprotodon, 3 Feb 2015.

1. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Following the very interesting exchange on the RSCC thread I thought it might be interesting to find out which small carnivore exhibits zoo chatters are finding particularly interesting around the UK at the moment?

Obviously the plethora of meerkat and coati exhibits are somewhat boring for those of us who enjoy the more unusual species that are on offer.

So what's your favourite small carnivore exhibit in the UK and why?

Thanks,

Hex

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It goes without saying that the Owston's Civet enclosures at Shaldon and Newquay are fantastic, both in terms of displaying a very odd little species and displaying it well - and of course Newquay also has a damn nice mixed exhibit showing Narrow-striped Boky and Crowned Lemur.

However my favorite small carnivore exhibit in the UK is no longer extant, to use rather appropriate parlance - I really enjoyed the enclosure at Edinburgh which used to hold Marbled Polecat, which permitted both indoor and outdoor viewing and within which I never failed to view the taxon, provided I had the patience that all small carnivore exhibits require.

Then the zoo chose to go back into meerkats and turfed the Marbled Polecat out of the enclosure so they could use it to quarantine the meerkats whilst still having them onshow, moving the odder taxon into a different enclosure with much worse viewing ability..... and not long after that did away with the species entirely :(

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Disappointingly, the same can't be said for the Owston's Civet enclosure at Port Lympne

4. Hexaprotodon

I'm quite excited at the prospect of seeing the Eastern Quoll at Bristol Zoo. That's certainly an interesting small carnivore species.

5. TeaLovingDave

Even if it is not a small carnivoran :p

Bloody nice species though.

6. Hexaprotodon

Well I'll concede that as it does not fall into the phylogeny of the Carnivora, but it is a small mammal that is a carnivore!!

I quite like some of the Pine Marten enclosures with the linking tunnels at the British Wildlife Centre. They have a fair few small carnivores there - Stoats & Weasels, Polecats, European Otters, Badgers - more indeginous mustelids than you can shake a stick at!

7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Small Carnivores...

Yellow-throated Martens at Exmoor are well displayed

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am very intrigued by the new walk-thru pallas cat exhibit at Port Lympne. I have not seen it myself, as my two visits to the park were in years prior to this. But it seems to be a great design from what I can tell.

9. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Walk-through pallas cat? That's definitely a new concept

10. TeaLovingDave

It's not a true walkthrough enclosure, per se - it is akin to the Eagle Owl, Carpathian Lynx and Kite enclosures at Zoo Magdeburg insofar as much as the enclosure is viewed from within a small house, with only a chest high barrier between the public and the animals.

11. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

And, if I remember correctly, a small moat next to the barrier?

12. TeaLovingDave

In the Port Lympne enclosure, yes :)