Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Small Cat at Melbourne Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NatM, 6 Apr 2009.

1. NatM

NatM Member

Could someone tell me what species of small cat is at the Melbourne Zoo that appears to be new (well I have never seen it) and is next to the Serval. It is grey/silver and has hair on the tips of its ears.

The enclosure says there is nothing on display..

Natalie

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's a caracal.

3. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

yeah I just saw the animal yesterday was about to ask the same thing

4. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

According to ISIS, Melbourne's caracal, a male, is the only one in the region.

Have they had him long? Wonder where he came from?

5. zoogal

zoogal Member

Ara, the Caracal is a 12 year old male, he came from Adelaide, he's been there since late 2008. I think it was a housing issue, so he was moved to Melbourne. He's absolutely gorgeous. Pity they wont replenish the small cats which we've lost, would love to see another Clouded Leopard there.

6. dragon(ele)nerd

here, here! ;)

7. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Personally I think Australasia is in an excellent position to have an amazing cat/dog and primate collection. I know all the reasons why not but I think more space could be allocated to these three genre. I can see no reason why each zoo couldn't hold more than the standard pair of each species.

8. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Spot on!
    Any zoo keeping smaller mammals such as monkeys, maned wolves, red pandas, servals, binturongs etc. should be prepared to hold at least four pairs of each, even if not all are on public display.
    Zoos holding just one pair of this and one pair of that are only playing at conservation breeding - they are not fair dinkum.
    As I've said before, even a schoolboy breeding budgies at home knows that he is not really going to get anywhere with just one pair (and more importantly, with only accommodation for one pair.)

If Australian zoos are going to severely limit the number of species that they keep (and they sure are!) on the grounds that they want to be self perpetuating in those species, then they must be prepared to keep more than just the bare minimum.

9. NatM

NatM Member

Thanks everyone.

Here's a pic of him for those who haven't seen him yet.

[​IMG]

10. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

beautiful picture, well done.

11. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

Wow, he's a beauty! And what a great photo!

What a pity he's the only one in Australia.

12. dragon(ele)nerd

yep thanks NatM awesome photo the ears are great!

13. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very different to caracals I have seen in the past (so few zoos seem to keep them these days). I believe he is one of the Asian/Middle East subspecies.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is it just because he's old that he's the odd colour? All the caracals I've seen were a reddish colour (including ones in Australia in the past)

15. NatM

NatM Member

He's actually slightly more 'silvery' in real life, but he wasn't reddish at all as far as I can remember.

Also the chances of getting another pic are low - he does NOT stop moving! That was the only time he paused. I don't think he's quite a fan of being placed right opposite the construction work.

16. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I was thinking a similar thing.

:p

Hix

17. LOU

LOU Well-Known Member

It's rather disapointing that Australian zoos are phasing out so many cat species. We no longer have clouded leopards and bobcats and species including iranian leopards, jaguars, golden cats, pumas and caracals wont be here for much longer.

18. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Or ocelots.

Jaguars, in particular, should be re-established. South American fauna is woefully presented in Australian zoos. There is not a single one that makes a thematic set of exhibits when the potential is there for a fantastic feature area. There are eight species of monkey present that are planned to be retained by the TAG. There are still Brazilian agoutis, Brazilian tapirs and maned wolves in the region, plus of course llamas and alpacas. There are import plans for coatis and, in time, giant anteaters and capybaras. There is a wealth of macaws, conures, amazons and quaker parrots. There are boa constrictors, green and rhinoceros iguanas, green and yellow anacondas, emerald tree boas, eyelash vipers, and double-crested basilisks. There is a range of freshwater fish.

Jaguars would be the necessary flagship species for such a precinct, which is otherwise completely feasible. The monkey species are small, all gregarious and mostly present in good numbers. Llamas, alpacas and tapirs are ungulates so need space but not complex enclosures. Coatis, agoutis and capybaras are small to medium sized and gregarious.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Speaking of which .... why have the lone Persian leopards not been sent back to the EEP/EAZA region, seeing as it is that both have no future in Australia?

20. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Possibly because they are older than Ara!;)