Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Small news from Paradisio

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Gorilla Gust, 15 Sep 2008.

1. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Paradisio
    Only financial news this time:
    Total money: 11.175.000 EUR
    Total Shareholders: 1.116.468

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Sep 2008
  2. Gorilla Gust

One of the "non animal" acquisitions of last year, where the were proud on
    The mummy :)

[​IMG]
    You can find it under the tower, were also the bat's and the frogs are! :)

3. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

I'm to lazy to type the entire births and arrivals list, but here are some significant ones from the last months:

arrivals:
    2 asian elephants (as if you didn't know)
    2 giraffes from Burgers zoo (paradisio has a group of males)
    18! lesser flamingos (they now have 23)

births:
    2 bali starling
    1 hippo (born the 5th of may. after several unsuccesful tries over the years, let's hope this one survives)

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know where have those 18 flamingos come from? And the sex ratio of the entire group? What are their plans with this species? :)

5. forumbully

in the same order: no. no. I guess breeding :p

6. forumbully

The belgian threads seem to have died a bit here.

-so let me change that with some paradisio news (what else :p )
    the little hippo is a male, he's doing well and can be seen with his mother in the outdoor exhibit.
    -Spikey has fathered 3 young. now you all want to know who spikey is?
    It's an indian porcupine that has been adopted by zoosite. he was the first official inhabitant of the kingdom of ganesha.
    -in elephant news: you all knew alexander isn't coming. but Sammy is!!! don't have an exact date on it yet.
    - some other elephant-type thingies will be coming shortly.

7. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Personally translated from Belgian newspaper "De Morgen":

Asian Elephants for Paradisio land at Zaventem Airport.

Two asian elephants have landed yesterday on airport Zaventem. Valentino (5) weights in at 1.600 kg and the 4 year old Annie 1.400. The two heavy-weight passengers where underway for close to 23 hours and arrived yesterdayevening at Parc Paradisio, their new home. They'll have to stay in quarantaine for three weeks, and not untill after that will the public get the opportunity to see the endangered animals, according to the "Laatste Nieuws" (another newspaper) today.

Inside the carrier aircraft from Cathay Pacific the elephants shared their space with orchids, food and electronics. 23 hours before, the two collosal animals left the Indonesian capital of Jakarta and after a short break in Dubai, they eventually arrived in Belgium.

Valentino and Annie where born in captivity in an Indonesian Zoo. They both belong to a species that only lives on the island of Sumatra, but are not directly related to one another.

8. Gorilla Gust

9. forumbully

finally!

it took them long enough to get the animals here

10. Chali

Chali Well-Known Member

Such big tusk for a 4 your old female? I think they confused the name, but also for a 5 year old male that are very great tusks.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am really in limbo on this ... Both Bornean and Sumatran as well as Sri Lankan elephants are recognised subspecies and are morphologically visually distinguishable from mainland Indian/Malayans.

I have some concern that in order to increase the no. of births, we are polluting Darwin's separate gene pools and end up with an admixture ele like we have with generic lions and tigers or orangs and chimps.

Even in captivity we need to look out for subspecies and genes ... why else conserve and set up a back-up for potential re-release (at all)???

12. Gorilla Gust

Annie and Valentino are switched on the pics, and one is a female, one a male so far as i know. About the big tusk? Now idea, but i noticed also.

They come from a zoo in Bogor, West Java.
    About the breeding? No idea what they want at this moment...

Maybe the pressrelaese later on will reveal that. :D

13. forumbully

Valentinos tusks look a lot bigger then they are, just as the animals themselves do on this photo.

that's what you get when you take pictures from frog perspective. trust me the animals hardly reach a grown mans shoulders.

both elephants are pure sumantran and unrelated. Nonetheless, they'll go in to the EEP.
    why? because with 4 sumantrans in Europe aren't a great genepool. Because bringing in at least 30 other sumatrans is highly unlikely (if not impossible). because allthough there are several breeding facilities, it's not that captive elephant reproduction is going smoothly and last but not least because the Asian elephant EEP is already a mix of subspecies with a lot of hybrids and animals of unclear origin.

14. Kifaru Bwana

I do not agree ... (and you only have to look at generic chimps, African lions and tigers to see why). Import of targetted pure-bred elephants of ssp. that compliment the breeding programme would be a more advisable policy and will reap results in the long-term.

This does not go for Sri Lankan, Bornean nor Sumatran elephants. Again, I concur that there is nothing to be gained for the breeding programme in having loads of generic elephants in the long term. We will have simply replaced a non-breeding non viable non socially well-structured population of Asian elephants with generic elephants that do not conform to their wild counterparts in either Indian subcontinent, SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia and Myanmar), Indochina, China and the Indonesian islands of Sumatera and Kalimantan.

By implying that the viability of Sumatrans within the EEP is questionable at best you provide a contradictio in terminis. It is exactly for that reason that the EEP should direct not to import Sumatrans and instead opt for either mainland Asians (which from India to Indochina are same ssp.) and perhaps Sri Lankans given that these are in some numbers in captivity (allthough the ancestry of both Nikolai and Calvin is not completely clear).

Borneans and Sumatrans should principally be integrated into a coop breeding programme in Indonesia for both species along scientific management guidelines. The EEP could simply assist the captive-breeding component of in situ programmes they are already supporting.

15. forumbully

I can answer that in 4 words: IN A PERFECT WORLD.

Unless you work in Blijdorp and just happen to be the elephant EEP coördinator, I doubt that any of what you state will happen.

not that there isn't any truth in it. but as I summed in those 4 words, it's not likely to happen any time soon (and probably late)

16. forumbully

some pics of the "new kids on the block"?

[​IMG]
    Valentino

[​IMG]
    Annie

17. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

At age 18, asian elephant bull Sammy died at Parc Paradisio...

Have seen him pretty often at Amersfoort and even at Blijdorp :(

18. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hoped to be untrue.

Dear Sammy!

19. Kifaru Bwana

Sad and true. R.I.P. Sam.

Most sad is that Sammy was one of the few offspring of the Paris line. Most other offspring have also died prematurely ... I do not know if that is indicative of anything.

The only issue perhaps is the frequent moving around of Sammy .... But discuss it in an even-handed way, I do not wish for another bout of that animal welfarist crap! ;)

K.B.

20. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not aware the frequent moving is causing something. And he only moved from Paris to Amersfoort, staying many years, moving to Rotterdam and growing there, and moving to a country with his native tongue.

We have to see the autopsis.
    And indeed the impressive Paris line from his mother side one adult male, not breeding yet, from his father side beside the above mentioned full brother a younger half brother alone standing and a half sister who is a mother herself. So how to get remain these maternal genes alive?