Join our zoo community

Planckendael Small news from Planckendael

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Gorilla Gust, 15 Sep 2008.

1. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

With the group in Planckendael there are small problems aftherall, and the two groups are kept seperate now. The introduction will take in several phases now...

2. Gorilla Gust

Sad news from Planckendael, Kidogo has died...

Due? The most likely reason is now these according to my sources within the KMDA: The Apenheul monkeys carried a virus with them from Apeldoorn to Mechelen. Every bonobo has been sick (Hermien, Djanoa, Huenda and Habari also, but they got better now), but just one died...

3. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That is pretty sad, a severe deprivation for Planckendael. Planckendael has no adult male now....

It would be a good opportunity to establish a bredding group that is unfettered by "Masikinis blood" (Stuttgart breeding male, died in 2000, father of "Kidogo", his genes are highly over-represented in the European population). But I think it is most important now to receive a new male, that is able and experienced in breeding.

I hope the EEP will act quickly and will obtain a suitable male....

Suitable male would be:

Kindu (*23.09.1984, Cologne, Clyde x Bonnie, did not breed so far, hardly represented in the European population)
    Birogu (*11.08.1989, Wuppertal, Mato x Catharine, inbreeding with his sister Lisala in Wuppertal)
    Louisoko (*19.04.1998, Stuttgart, Masikini x Lina)
    Heri (*23.01.2001, Frankfurt, Ludwig x Natalie, hardly represented in the European population, maybe to young)
    David (*27.07.2001, Stuttgart, Kirembo x Daniela, grandson of Masikini, maybe to young)

@Gorilla Gust
    Do you know the exact date of his death??

4. Gorilla Gust

For the breeding program this means that a number of decisions (taken previously) will be reviewed again, so that there can be found agood replacement for Kidogo...

Thursday on friday night... According to my sources...

5. john

john Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Related to the Masikini bloodline or not, there are now two points. First is there a virus and so which virus that caused illness in the Planckendael group. Is that virus amongst all the Apenheul members? What does that mean for Hortense and her three sons? What does that mean for the future of the now Apenheul members. Is there still a zoo (in Europe or in the USA, Canada) willingly to receive a member of these animals. Don't forget that the animals in Apenheul faced years ago the death of some of their bandmembers. Besides that Lomela and Jill at Apenheul are very dominant. Special towards males without a mother. How has Lomela played her roll at Planckendael? Apenheul lost in these few years they have bonobos three of their males (Hani wildborn died, Mwindu wildborn died, Joey (born Antwerpen) has gone in the end to Leipzig. And Mobikisi has faced difficult times at Apenheul as being the lone male.

6. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mybe it was something simple like flu or a cold, that can happen anytime and would not hinder any future transfers.

7. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have a question, maybe you can answer that gorilla gust - when will construction of the new elephant enclosure in Plankendahl start? Thanks!

8. Gorilla Gust

Still possible, the labresults will be in soon...

Yes i can ;) At the moment the plans are around 2011-2012 for the start with the project. :)

9. Gorilla Gust

The bonobo's that are in Apenheul (from pld) are doing it great. Redy (the most) and Zamba are not yet really good into the group, but they are doing alright now. And important, that never were sick...

Hinchinbrook, the koalamale that would go to Duisburg has died, together with Itsji Bidji. Why? Due toxoplasmose... (from a Cat)

10. Gorilla Gust

about the bonobo's,

They are planning to move Hermien to Stuttgart. Planckendael saids further in a article of the CRC (in the KMDA abo magazine) why they are doing this. I scanned for you guys the little "plan" that was in the magazine...

[​IMG]
    Brown/red: The animals with have a common bloodlineage
    Yellow: The animals with have a not so common bloodlineage
    Pink: babies... and little one's
    M: male's

The plan is to extend the group from 90 animals to 200 animals. Herefor the are going to breed with animals that have a common bloodlineage and other animals that also have a common bloodlineage. This should let the group increase in a couple of years.

The animals with have a not common bloodlineage will breed with other animals that have a not common bloodlineage.

But this was the plan before Kidogo died in Planckendael,
    it will change a little bit now...

I hope you guys understand it?
    Because my English is not so very good...

11. john

Is bonobo male Mobikisi from Apeldoorn moving to Planckendael or to Stuttgart?

And who will be the breeding male for Hortense at Apeldoorn?

Which female from Apeldoorn is moving to Stuttgart, and which female from Apeldoorn is moving to Koln?

12. BjoernN

@John

I think "Lingala" is going to move to Stuttgart and "Kumbuka" is going to move to Cologne.

13. john

Tanks BjoernN. I forgot Kumbuka. But at Apenheul is no Lingala. As far as I do know. Lingala?

And what about the move of Mobikisi, and who will be the new male for Hortense?

14. BjoernN

@John
    "Lingala", born 17.07.2003 is a daughter of "Jill" and "Mwindu" and still at Apeldoorn...

I think, "Mobikisi" is going to move to Stuttgart, because "Kirembo" and "David" will got to Leipzig, "Louisoko", "Lucuma", "Lingoye" and their mother "Lina" to Planckendael.

I do not know about the new male for "Hortense", maybe a new male from the United States....

15. john

Thanks BjoernN
    To complete: So Liboso stays at Apenheul? What is the name of her daughter, when is she born, who is the father?
    And who is the father of Kumbuka?

16. BjoernN

"Liboso" stays at Apenheul. Her daughters name is "Nayembi", born 26.04.2006, her father is "Mwindu" (died in 2007 or 2008??). "Libosos" parents are "Hani" and "Zuani".
    "Kumbukas" mother is "Molaso" (born ~1985, died 11.07.2002), her fathers name is "Hani" (born ~1990, died 19.10.2001).

17. john

Is bonobo Mobikisi the father of the son of Jill?

18. BjoernN

Father of "Jills" daughter is "Mwindu".... "Mobikisi" never bred at Apenheul....

19. john

Yes the daughter of Jill is by Mwindu. But the son of Jill can never be from Hani or Mwindu. So, who is the father of the son of Jill? Joey or Mobikisi?

20. BjoernN

"Jill" has only one daughter, "Lingala" (born 17.07.2003), at the Apenheul.

Her first child, "Tarishi" (born 17.09.1998) died in 2002. His father was "Mobikisi"...

"Joey" is not able to breed, he does not know how to mate with a female....