Join our zoo community

Randers Regnskov Tropical Zoo Small news from Randers

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by jwer, 17 Jun 2011.

1. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have i picked up correctly that Randers now holds Blue duiker? If so, does anyone know where it (they?) came from?

Edit; hmm, on Zootierliste I found that it held a maxwell/blue duiker hybrid and it's now gone (dead?). Was that the only animal there and did it die?

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Randers did hold a maxwell/blue duiker hybrid free-ranging among visitors in their Africa Dome. She was an old female who has lived there for as far as I can remember when visiting Randers, so at least 10 years (quite possibly more). She was really a visitors' favourite and I saw her last time in August 2010. Last rumour I heard was that she was dead now simply of old age but I have not had it confirmed.

3. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I visited in February this year, I didn't saw the duiker itself nor it being pictured on the sign of free-ranging animals. So I suppose the rumor is true.

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Pileated gibbon born in Randers

Happy news from Randers as their pileated gibbons have bred again. Here is the article taken from Randers Tropical Zoo's own website:

5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Can you tell us more about the coati exhbit mentioned in another thread and how it is innovative? Thanks!

6. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The coati exhibit is divided in two parts. The biggest part is their "day room" where they spend most of the day. This is quite nice and shaped like a little bit of rainforest. Not very innovative though. The great part is that visitors observe the coatis from a researchers hut with all kinds of information about the animals. In this hut there is a small kitchen with a tunnel leading to the coati enclosure. Twice a day guides to feeding presentations where the guide invites the audience (mostly kids) to come in and hide different kinds of food all around the kitchen, in pots, pans jars, bottles, buckets, etc. The guide then does a talk and lets the coatis in and all hell breaks loose. The coatis tear apart the kitchen creating a terrible noise of banging and clanging while rummaging through the kitchen in search of food.

The message with the exhibit is a very important one: While we may find coatis all cuddly and cute the native Indians see them as a pest. Imagine if they got into your kitchen! It helps to show the situation from the locals perspective and also show the ingenious foraging behaviours of these creatures.

Without a doubt the coati exhibit I have spent the most time by! I might be able to post a few exhibits later.

7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Thanks, it sounds quite an interesting way to exhibit animals.

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some intresting births at Randers :
    7 Coatis
    1 Colobus monkey
    1 Goeldi's monkey

9. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Randers Tropical Zoo is currently working with Jens-Christian Svenning, an ecologist from Aarhus University, to keep Asian elephants in a fenced reserve adjacent to the zoo. The elephants are to serve as proxies for the extinct straight-tusked elephant with their ecological impact on the reserve being assessed in detail.

This information comes from the very last paragraph in this article:
    http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/39799/title/Where-the-Wild-Things-Were/

10. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On third Sunday of Advent a Lowland tapir have been born.

A female melanistic Jaguar cub which is 5-6 month old has moved to Randers from Skaerup Zoo, Denmark. Next year on March 27 opens a new Jaguar exhibit next to the South American dome.

11. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Two jaguars arrived from Zagreb Zoo. Their new exhibit is mostly outside (as opposed to entirely within the rainforest domes) and it will open tomorrow for the general public. Another section for them will be added next year.

A bit of random news from the last two months:
    Bush dogs and Prevost's squirrel have bred again.
    The extinct-in-the-wild Moorea tree snail is now on exhibit. They've had them offshow since 2009 but they're breeding so well that they're putting some on show.

12. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There has recently been more information posted about Randers' plans to use elephants as part of a landscape managing project. The plan is for 3-4 Asian elephants to come from other zoos.

http://www.tv2oj.dk/artikel/259151:Randers--Elefanter-paa-graes-i-Randers

This is the article translated from Danish via Google translate:

Elephants grazing on the meadows at Randers.

It will be able to see in the foreseeable future if it is to the Director of Randers Rainforest, Henrik Herold.

Randers Rainforest gets serious thought about using 3:00 to 4:00 Asian elephants for landscaping in a region at Gudenåen.

- We expect to see the same effect as elephants are in Asia and Africa - that biodiversity - species-richness - will flourish when using some of the big wild animals for landscaping, explains Henrik Herold DR East Jutland.

Is not it dangerous to have elephants walking?

- It's a very, very large animals and therefore it must also be controlled. So we let them not just loose. There must be someone to look after them or be fenced in in, assures Henrik Herold.

- They graze, but also destroys the trees. They pull up bushes and so on, creating the momentum we well see in nature.

Henrik Herold can not say when the elephants start working. They must come from zoos, as the rain cooperates.

13. vogelcommando

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. vogelcommando

16. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male aardvark has arrived from Prague.

17. vogelcommando

This is the one-year old male Kito which will be paired to the already at Randers living female Maxima.

18. temp

temp Well-Known Member

After an exhibit renovation the American alligators are back, but this is apparently only temporary as they are scheduled to leave for France in the Spring of 2017. I don't know what will replace them in the newly renovated exhibit then.

About a week ago a blue duiker arrived from Asson Zoo in France. An elderly female and I guess Randers will be her "retirement home".

Last edited: 5 Nov 2016
  19. Hvedekorn

A bit of a correction: I visited about a month ago, and the American alligators have been on-show the whole time, but they are housed in the original exhibit in the Asia dome. The zoo has received two new alligators who'll live in a new exhibit in the South American dome. This exhibit is the old exhibits for dwarf caimans and Cuban crocodiles which have been revamped. As such, the dwarf caimans and Cuban crocodiles have left the zoo (or gone off-show - I'm not entirely sure about their whereabouts). So I presume the zoo will keep the alligators from the Asia dome even though the two new ones are leaving. Though I don't know what'll happen to the South America dome exhibit after they leave either.

20. Hvedekorn

Would the person who recently updated Zootierliste's holdings for Randers Regnskov in February 2017 happen to be a Zoochat user?

I was just wondering since that person has re-added a lot of species that Randers Regnskov hasn't kept for a while, like sacred ibis, red-bellied lemur, grey-winged trumpeter, golden-headed lion tamarin, cotton-top tamarin, bare-faced curassow, collared peccary, and marsh mongoose. I visited in October 2016, where none of those species were kept at the zoo. So I wonder if all of them made a return during the winter, or if it's a mistake? I'm considering making a revisit during the spring to find out if the species list is really correct, but it'd still be nice to know beforehand if it's a mistake.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2017