Join our zoo community

Randers Regnskov Tropical Zoo Small news from Randers

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by jwer, 17 Jun 2011.

1. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Hvedekorn, I visited this winter. I did not make a species list, but based purely on my memory none of the species you mentioned were present. I guess the person who updated zootierliste must have based it on a visit quite some time ago.

2. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wrote to Randers Regnskov themselves after writing my post, but they haven't replied. I think I may have figured out of a possible reason, though; on their website, the aforementioned species are still mentioned, though it says that they're "not part of the exhibition". The person did correctly update Zootierliste with some animals that have arrived very recently, like naked mole-rats and springhares, and writes "02/2017" as his source, so I think it was a recent visit. Maybe he visited the website afterwards and assumed all those species were kept behind the scenes? I do know Randers keeps several smaller animals, like reptiles, behind the scenes and regularly rotates them between the public exhibits and the off-show exhibits, but I can't imagine that they have kept big animals like collared peccaries in small off-show exhibits since 2011 (which was when they left the on-show collection).

I'm not updating anything before I get final confirmation from the zoo itself, though.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14 fertile bushmaster eggs.

[​IMG]

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  4. Hvedekorn

Other news:

- On May 12th, the tapirs moved into their huge, new outdoor exhibit which with its 4500 square meters and resemblance to a South American wetland area seems like a massive improvement from their small all-indoors exhibit in the South America dome.

- Earlier this year, two new night zoos opened - "Junglen om natten" ("The jungle in the night") in the Africa dome and "Templet om natten" ("The temple in the night") in the Asia dome. "Junglen om natten" is just a revamp of the existing night zoo "Afrikagrotten", while "Templet om natten" is an entirely new area. According to their website, new species include naked mole rats and springhares for "Junglen om natten", and coconut crabs, tokay geckos, and Asian garden dormice for "Templet om natten".

zooboy28 and kiang like this.
  5. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Margay kitten born yesterday. First for the zoo, which also means first in the country as not kept elsewhere.

6. Hvedekorn

A new species has moved into the vacated indoor tapir exhibit - greater rheas. They aren't exactly rainforest animals, are they? At least it's the first time I've heard of rheas being housed in a tropical house.

What are the EAZA standards for rhea exhibit size? The delegate deemed the tapir exhibit to be too small, and I'd like to imagine that it's also a bit on the small size for rheas unless they've expanded it.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Hvedekorn

Two new free-ranging species for the South America dome: Emperor tamarin and chaco owl. The tamarins are the group from Hannover Zoo.

annebn and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. vogelcommando

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. vogelcommando

On Nov. 4 2018 3 of the 8 Burmese star tortoises were stolen. Because of the publicity the thief has decided to return the animals to the zoo were they now can be seen again in a more secure enclosure.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to the Artis forum he did ;)

13. Hvedekorn

Randers recently announced their newest project for their 25-year anniversary in 2021 - an prehistory-themed zone in their outdoor area "Danmarksparken" with exhibits for Eurasian lynxes, hyenas (no species specified, and wolverines. There's also be some other exhibitions to be made in collaboration with the town museum (which has a pretty good and modern exhibition on prehistory).

Collection-wise, this is pretty good news as there are no wolverines in Danish zoos and almost no hyenas (no striped/brown/aardwolf and only one zoo keeping spotted hyenas). Even better, no animals will leave to make room for them as the exhibits will be built where there's currently picnic areas/playgrounds.

The entire zone will be called "Tidsrejsen" ("the time travel").

14. Hvedekorn

Randers Regnskov is opening the first part of "Tidsrejsen" (mentioned in post above) in June - an exhibit for spotted hyenas named "HyƦnesletten" ("The Hyena Plains"). They are receiving two females from Parco Natura Viva and have just had two zookeepers visit Leipzig Zoo to receive advice on husbandry.

15. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this part of the "Rewilding" project they had on the books years ago involving Asian elephants?

16. Hvedekorn

Sort of. I don't think they intend to get elephants anymore - that was part of their ridiculously ambitious "Planet Randers" project which they have since abandoned - but I believe it's still part of their masterplan to represent other types of nature than just rainforest, and the "Tidsrejsen" area is the first phase of that. I get the impression that the idea of a Danish Ice Age landscape arised when the nearby town museum opened a new and modern prehistory exhibit a couple of years ago, which made collaboration easy.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Starting April 21st, some emerald tree boas have hatched.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Apr 2020
  18. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Possibly emerald tree boa Corallus caninus?

19. Jungle Man

Yes I think indeed it is.

Mo Hassan likes this.
  20. Jungle Man

On May 11th, twin Golden Lion Tamarins were born.

[​IMG]

A new Reticulated Python arrived from Germany on early June.

[​IMG]

A porcupine was born on June 6th and a Gibbon was also born on May 29th.

A pigeon (can somebody tell me which species) was also born at the end of May.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Jun 2020
    Mo Hassan and Kifaru Bwana like this.