Join our zoo community

ZOO Antwerpen Small news from Zoo Antwerp

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Gorilla Gust, 15 Sep 2008.

1. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Zoo Antwerp
    -Tomorrow arrives the 4th Giraf for the Antwerp Zoo, it is one year old female from Berlin Zoo
    -Elephant Khaing Phyo Phyo, the mother of May Tagu will give birth in March 2009. (Father of the new calf is Alexander)
    -In October there will be also a birth with the Okapi Yente.
    (Antwerp news translated from Litoria on 'h'echte (dieren)vrienden van de Zoo :: Index)

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Sep 2008
  2. Gorilla Gust

more details about the Giraf, its a female called Buna from Berlin Zoo.
    She is +/- 13 months old, and is a hybride...

3. Gorilla Gust

Not important, but there are also keygadgets available with the new logo ;)

4. GorillaFollower

GorillaFollower Well-Known Member

Hi GorillaGust,

Just joined ZooBeat and wondering whether you have news of the chimp group in Antwerp. I know Jamie from Dublin Zoo before he joined the group in Antwerp and have been to see him there and am very fond of Cheetah as well, any news would be great indeed.

Many Thanks:)

5. Gorilla Gust

The Chimpgroup has now two "exhibits", (all chimps has acces to both).

With Jamie is it goes good i think, he has no troubles in the group because he is watching to much people. Something that Chita does have. Chita is more with the humans at the window, then in the group. Due fights herefor he has lost a finger for example.

But ok, the humans that yell there name? It is mostly a group of 5 people. (I will say no names), and those people has been corrected by the zookeepers. But they still go on... They also call for Jamie. But lucky he doesn"t go to the windows then. Not all the time....

Perhaps Hippo (member here) can say more?

6. GorillaFollower

Many Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't been to Antwerp for about 2 years so very interested in how the group is doing. Chita is so very very sweet but yes he is always with the humans at the window! I guess this is because of his few years of living with them at the beginning of his life!! I am so sorry to hear that he lost a finger, how long ago did that happen?

I have known Jamie since he was a few months old. He was always a character at the Dublin Zoo and did badly bite a keeper's finger once! As I am sure you know he was hand reared as his mother rejected him so he has always been the centre of human attention. I came over to see him when he had just arrived at Antwerp and when he was in with Siri. I wonder how she is as well if you know? I am so pleased that Jamie has fitted into the group in Antwerp, I hope the people who are calling him are not being too much of a pain!!! The two exhibits you mention, is that an additional space than before or the same bigger space with the big window and the indoor spaces or have they now got more space?

I spend alot of time at London Zoo and Howletts and Port Lympne as I work and live near to both zoos. I do love Antwerp zoo, it is always very friendly.

Thanks Gorilla Gust for your help, always good to speak to another primate person!:)

7. Gorilla Gust

Do you know the original Orang Utang exhibit? Well, that's now also for the chimps... :)

8. GorillaFollower

Hey Gorilla Gust,

Thanks for letting me know. Yes I do remember the orang enclosure. I am pleased that the chimps now have more space, the old bonobo outdoor space, which animals live there now?

9. Gorilla Gust

Sorry for the late answer, but i have no internet access at my home at the moment.
    But the old Bonobo outdoor space?
    Where was that? I can't remember them there. (but i know they were there ;)) If you can say the old place, then i can say what is standing there now...

10. Yero

Yero Active Member

The bonobos were (during several intervals) housed in the enclosure of the ape house that was originally designed to house young hand-reared apes. Before 1992, this enclosure housed the three young bonobo males Kidogo, Ludwig and Joey, until they left for Planckendael. Then the bonobos from Japan, Mobikisi and Kosana have been housed here. Amahoro, the young gorilla, and Siri and Jaimie, the young chimpanzees have been also housed at this enclosure. Then it housed the two bonobos Joey and Mobikisi for a while, until they left for Apenheul. Since then it houses the siamangs.