Join our zoo community

Small Zoo in Numbers: Space

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 28 Nov 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Somehow, I enjoy planing for small zoo in my free time. If I had to manage space for new (micro) zoo with area of just 3,000.0 m2, I would consider the next:

-Space for reptiles (for reptilarium): 81.0 m2 (2.7% of total zoo area);
    -Space for birds (parrots (4 species), toucans (1 species), Southern ground hornbill, African fish eagles, Griffon vultures, Marabou storks, small flamingo flock): around 700.0 m2 (23.3% of total zoo area);
    -Space for cheetah(s), initally for solitary female (old maybe?): 300.0 m2 (10% of total zoo area);
    -Space for mantled guerezas, ring-tailed lemurs, white fronted lemurs and for brown capuchins: 500.0 m2 (16.7% of total zoo area);
    -Space for fallow deers, Grant's zebras and red kangaroos or red-necked wallabies: 500.0 m2;

-Administrative small house, small vet-department or place for physical check, and silo for feed: 80.0 m2
    -Limited parking space: 150.0 m2
    -Visitors recreation (mini restaurant and small picnic area): 180.0 m2
    -Small quarantine enclosures complex: 50.0 m2
    -Rest (eg. interenclosure space, peripheral space): 470.0 m2 (the interenclosure space would need to be extremely narrow :)

Is this makes sense? What would you propose? Give example of your management of space for such small zoo? :eek:_O

As I can imagine, maybe some 40-50% of most zoos area is for the enclosures, the rest is non-animal space (?). In my case with micro zoo, the space for animals is more than 68% of the total zoo area.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2016