Join our zoo community

Small zoos under 50 acres

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 6 Jul 2018.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

With Oakland zoo getting a 56 acre upgrade, I started to wonder about small zoos that had a relative size to Oakland's 42 acres before the California trail. Mostly because when I was trying to create a whole new Oakland zoo during my thread "Reimagining Oakland zoo" I realized that the map that I'm basing my design off of turned out to be off from the actual usable land of the zoo. So with the new map, I decided to take an example from smaller zoos similar of size to Oakland to get an idea for exhibit organization. I was going to put this in the fantasy zoo thread but then I realized that this topic doesn't really follow the normal rules for a fantasy zoo thread and only connects to one. So my question is, what are some small zoos (under 50 acres) and what exhibits are there? Preferable if the zoo has elephants but it's not important.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Racine Zoo
    Menominee Park Zoo
    Wildwood Zoo
    NEW Zoo
    Henry Vilas Zoo
    Manitowoc Lincoln Park Zoo

Many, many more...

TheEthiopianWolf03 likes this.
  3. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Philadelphia Zoo
    Rosamond Gifford Zoo (Has elephants)
    Central Park Zoo
    Prospect Park Zoo
    Queens Zoo

4. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably 2/3 of zoo's in the US are under 50 acres, so you have a rather large pool to pull from!

5. Smannsaker

Smannsaker Well-Known Member 5+ year member

50 acres is a quite large space, especially in Europe. I think most zoos in Europe are smaller than 50 acres (20,2 ha).

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This sums it up perfectly. There are approximately 150 aquariums and 600 zoos in the USA and out of those 750 facilities I'd guess that at least 500+ are under 50 acres.

7. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Killman Zoo in Ontario is just thirteen hectares in size.

8. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lintworm has compiled a list of 50 European zoos.

So far the ones covering below 50 acres are: Innsbruck, Vienna, Antwerp, Odense, Besancon, Boulogne-sur-Mer, Doué-la-Fontaine, Paris Ménagerie, Chemnitz, Cologne, Duisburg, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Jersey, Amsterdam, Apeldoorn, Tenerife, Valencia Bioparc, Valencia L'Oceanogràfic, Bern, Bristol

Above 50 acres: Pairi Daiza, Dvůr Králové, Ostrava, Plzeň, Prague, Helsinki, Nesles, Obterre, Saint-Aignan, Berlin Zoo, Berlin Tierpark, Grafenau, Leipzig, Magdeburg, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Walsrode, Arnhem, Rotterdam, Wroclaw, Obregon, Borås, Hunnebostrand, Zurich, Bekesbourne, Burford

9. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I never finished my color coding, but here's my spreadsheet on AZA sizes, based on info provided on websites / wikipedia.

Attached Files:

10. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

I realized the reason why American zoos tend to be larger is because their area includes parking, buffer zones (undeveloped areas within the boundaries) and staff-only areas. For example, the Maryland Zoo has a total of 135 acres but only 45 of those acres are developed as exhibits and public area.

Because of that, my recommendations are Philadelphia Zoo, Roger Williams Park Zoo, and The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore