Join our zoo community

Small zoos

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by annebaines, 21 Jun 2011.

1. annebaines

annebaines Member

Was just wandering if anyone can list small quite unknown zoos in the uk, theres something about small family owned zoos i like
    many thanks annex

2. nb123

nb123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In cornwall small one's i can think of are:

-Wingz bird sanctuary
    -Porfell animal land
    -Cornish birds of prey Centre
    -Tamar otter and wildlife centre

3. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Newquay is often classified as a small zoo (well at least on these forums), al;though it far exceeds other small zoos (and some larger zoos) in terms of quuality and is certianly not family run.

4. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I don't know if you would class the Yorkshire Wildlife Parkas a small but it's well worth a look.

5. hantslad

hantslad Well-Known Member

Small ZOO,S

Hi, have always throught the East of England, is well topped up with smaller collection,s, saying that the West Country, as well has a fair few hidden collection,s which are in general not really comented upon.

6. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

What about the south east? Would love to go to a few lesser known zoos in the area ... Tropical wings in Essex is a lovely small zoo :)

7. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Lakeland Wildlife Oasis in Cumbria is well worth a visit, a very nice collection for such a small park... :)

8. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

Shaldon Zoo is probably the smallest zoo in the UK. But it does have an interesting and well cared for collection.

Shaldon Wildlife Trust

9. minicb

minicb New Member

10. Mike11

Mike11 Well-Known Member

I'll just put a quick mention in for Linton Zoo in Cambridgeshire, It holds around about 100 species, with a bit of everything, Big Cats, Owls, Hornbills, Kangeroos, Lemurs, small reptile collection and is most definately family run, being run by the Simmons family since 1972, nearly fourty years!

11. johnstoni.

johnstoni. Well-Known Member

The first that springs to mind is Thrigby Hall. Its a very small collection, but the site has a real magic to it, set in the grounds of a stately home, with walkways through the trees and several interesting indoor houses for various species. Similarly, Amazona zoo, also in Norfolk, is also worth a look. Thrigby specialize in the species of asian countries, Amazona keep species from South and Central America.

12. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Just a quick note how about
    Birmingham Nature centre or Dudley Zoo both are small compared to quite a few zoos or collections in the UK

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Five Sisters near Livingston, Scotland certainly fits the bill. It has a nice selection of unusual mammal species, a fantastic nocturnal section (many much larger zoos could pick up some tips from here) and a few unusual herps.

They also serve "stovies" and you can go in and feed the Ring-tailed Lemurs for about an extra £5.

14. ark1

ark1 New Member

You Could check out The ark animal sanctuary evesham ,Birmingham nature centre, Brookwood animal sanctuary near dudley, Gentleshaw wildlife centre, near stone :)

15. Ajkwba

Ajkwba Well-Known Member

16. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I'm a little disappointed that you failed to mention that the King Penguins are the only ones in England and Wales.:eek::D

17. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

If I remember correctly, the sign at the gate advertises them as the only ones in England, Wales and Ireland, doesn't it? This is undeniably accurate, but you can almost feel the sign designer trying to work out if they could justify including any other countries! :D

18. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Sewerby in Bridlington is a small municipal zoo with an interesting collection including what are rumoured to be the oldest breeding Humboldt's Penguins in the UK. Not far up the coast is the Filey Bird Garden and Animal Park, a small family run collection now in its fourth year. I like it very much, but it does not claim to be a zoo as such. In West Yorkshire Lotherton and Harewood Bird Gardens are excellent. Moving swiftly to Somerset I am a great fan of Tropiquaria, and then of course there is the one hundred per cent wonderful Exmoor in North Devon.

19. twycrosszoo

twycrosszoo Well-Known Member

People haven't mentioned Wingham wildlife park or RSCC in kent, Shepreth Wildlife Park in Cambridgeshire, there is Wetlands Wildlife park in Notts, Pettitts near Great Yarmouth has monkeys etc, There's also the Raptor Foundation in St Ives, Cambs with a good collection of birds of Prey, Baytree Owl Centre near Spalding, The butterfly and Wildlife Park near Long Sutton, Skegness Natureland, Mablethorpe Seal Sanctuary, Woodside Wildlife Park near Lincoln plus lots of smaller collections around.

20. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

What and where is Brookwood?