Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Smaggledagle, 26 Sep 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

The Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute is a private facility located in Fort Royal, Virginia. It is a part of the Smithsonian Institute, and animals at the facility includes dama gazelle, Persian onager, Eld's deer, maned wolf, clouded leopard, Guam kingfisher, Guam rail, loggerhead shrike, and hooded crane, among other species.

On June 3rd, the institute announced that (2.0) North Island brown kiwis hatched on March 13th and April 7th respectively.

Welcome, Kiwi Chicks

On June 17th, the institute announced that a (0.0.1) whooping crane hatched on May 26th, marking the first time the facility has successfully bred the species.

First Whooping Crane Hatches at Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute

On June 30th, the institute announced that a (0.0.1) red-crowned crane hatched on June 2nd.

Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute

On July 1st, the institute announced they have acquired (1.2) red pandas named Rocket, Xena, and Scarlet from other unspecified AZA facilities for breeding purposes.

Meet The New Red Pandas

On September 26th, the institute announced that (0.0.60+) black-footed ferrets from 14 litters were born between April 20th and July 19th.

Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All of these news updates were already posted in the Smithsonian Zoo thread, half of them by you.

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Furthermore as was already pointed out to you, this facility is directly part of National Zoo and does not have its own website or social media, being a closed off breeding center with zero public access. This thread is redundant and all related news belongs in the Smithsonian National Zoo thread.

4. Smaggledagle

you can just delete the posts off Smithsonian Zoo's thread and it's all good

5. Great Argus

They belong ON the Smithsonian National Zoo's thread, not this one.

6. TinoPup

Those posts have been fine all year, until the creation of this unnecessary thread.

Neil chace, nczoofan and Great Argus like this.
  7. Smaggledagle

if there is a separate thread listing I'm going to use it.

8. Great Argus

You got it created even after multiple people told you it was unnecessary. So I don't count that as a valid excuse. Not every facility needs it own tag and thread, ESPECIALLY when it is completely unnecessary and redundant.

9. TinoPup

And none of this is news, given it's all been posted before.

10. Smaggledagle

I did request the thread but I did not have a say in if it got created or not.

The last news item is news. In hindsight I should have just used the latest piece of news to start the thread, and then have a staff member move other items from SCBI from the zoo thread over here.

11. TinoPup

You realize these "staff members" are volunteers, right? That you constantly make more work for?

12. Great Argus

You could have said, "Scratch that, we don't need it." Instead you posted a sarcastic "UH OH" apparently finding it quite funny.

Again, all this news belongs in that thread. End of question.

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Job is my assistant and is not a zoo expert - she can't be expected to know if creating a new facility is a good idea or not.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm - you really are creating a lot of work for people (including me) and a lot of unnecessary clutter on the site.

I agree with the comments made by other members here - it is my understanding that this is a private breeding facility which is unlikely to ever have any photos from it, and given it is a part of an existing facility, any discussion can take place in those threads or a new thread created using the existing prefix.

I have deleted the prefix created for the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and replaced it with the Smithsonian National Zoo prefix.

I will close this thread shortly - please post any new news in the existing Smithsonian National Zoo news threads.

I think at this point I will need to change how the New Gallery Request thread works.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.