Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 6 Jan 2015.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

There is a new gorilla at the zoo named Calaya

She came from the Woodland Park Zoo based on a Species Survival Plan breeding recommendation.

By the way does anyone know what the zoos current big project is?

Last edited: 9 Apr 2015
  3. Milwaukee Man

4. dcpandafan

Just noticed the zoo edited it's website a bit

5. Milwaukee Man

6. dcpandafan

I was recently looking on the Smithsonian's website and I found some exhibits the zoo used to have, And I was wondering if anyone had any photos of some of these old exhibits

Search | Exhibitions | Smithsonian

Some exhibits are:
    Australia Pavilion
    Animals Native to India
    North American Mammal Exhibit

7. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was looking at some of the past exhibits on the Smithsonian website and I saw that the Invertebrates exhibit closed in June of 2014. I haven't been since 2010, but I also never remember seeing them mention it was closing. Does anyone know why they decided to close it down? I always thought it was a unique exhibit for the zoo being more than just insects but all types of Invertebrates.

8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This topic I believe has been extensively talked about on this thread in the past so if you dig around a bit you should find some more information. I believe it had to do with the cost of running the exhibit. I, too, find it a huge shame that it closed as it was one of my favorite parts of the zoo.

~Thylo:cool:

9. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I don't think that National Zoo ever had a special exhibit dedicated to animals of India (not since late 90s for sure). The Asian Trail is fairly new but it is not limited to Indian species.
    North American exhibit is still there - they recently revamped the seals and sea lions' pools, otherwise the exhibit is very similar to how it was in the 90s and has almost same species ( though timber wolves replaced Mexican wolves and ravens replaced bobcats).
    Australian pavilion closed when they started work on Asian Trail. Back when it was opened it was housing a small coral reef tank, a few small reptile species, and an indoor mixed exhibit with tree kangaroos, a brush turkey, and a echidna. There were attached outdoor exhibits for red kangaroos, grey kangaroos, emus, and a New Guinean singing dog.

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo management announced that it was going to cost at least a million dollars to upgrade the exhibit infrastructure and they opted to close it instead. There was some outcry about it in the media if you Google around. They said that there are plans for some kind of biodiversity hall in the future that would probably bring back many of the inverts, but that is at some unspecified time in the future.

It was a cool exhibit and a shame that they did not continue it. Invertebrates, giraffes, and hippos are all animals that the zoo now has said that they would like to bring back, but it is unknown if they ever will.

11. dcpandafan

According to website the animals native to India was only a 1 summer thing June 1-August 31 1985
    and the north american mammals exhibit I understand they have the american trail but I wasn't around when they had the exhibit with puma jaguar ect. and they still have the bobcats they just live in the old coati exhibit at the great cats exhibit. The reason I asked if anyone had photos is because I haven't found any at all.

12. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

This is interesting. Do you know which species were kept in India exhibit? I did not even know that North American exhibit had pumas and jaguars, but then i only started visiting the National Zoo in 1998

13. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It sounds like the India "exhibit" was just some special temporary graphics posted on the exhibits of animals at the zoo with ranges in India. This website lists: Indian sarus, Indian elephant, Bengal tigers, leopards, Indian spot-bill duck, red (lesser) pandas, bintarong, sloth bears, lion-tailed macaque, Eld's deer, and hoopoe bird.

Animals Native to India | Exhibitions | Smithsonian

14. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. dcpandafan

Beside the elephants red panda and sloth bears I don't remember the zoo having any of those [I was probably to young] so that's why I asked if anyone had photos of any of these old exhibits I love the zoo and I have always wanted to know what it was like before I was born

16. Milwaukee Man

17. dcpandafan

18. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, but a baby pygmy hippo just tops it all...

19. dcpandafan

20. dcpandafan