Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 6 Jan 2015.

1. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have two things to say.

1. I was at the zoo today and they said they don't know for sure if they are gonna get a bull to replace kandula, since it might not be worth it since they only have one breeding female and AI would be cheaper than keeping a bull in the long term. They said they might consider AI instead of getting a bull since if they got a bull it would limit the space the current herd could use.

2. I know this isn't really news, but I thought this might be appreciated by someone at least anyway:

I just got back from a two day mini vacation from DC, and I made sure to go to the national zoo. It was incredible. I am from massachusetts, and here in new england our zoos aren't really too great. But the National Zoo was amazing. The only complaints I had are that it was kind of hard to navigate since maps aren't free and the only way to get one is to buy a tour manual. I think that if you have to buy a map like that they should have the signs of maps more frequently spread throughout the zoo. So, what I really enjoyed: I especially loved the elephant habitat. (The asian area in general was really really good) I know that elephant trails isn't exactly up to par with other new elephant exhibits, but it is the best one I have seen so far (since I am not really a big traveler) and so I spent a lot of time there and appreciated it immensely. When I was in the elephant barn, I saw Shanthi playing tetherball and with a big ball chained to one of the supports, and I also saw Ambika (I think) and Kamala or Swarna sensing vibrations in the ground with their trunks. Shanthi also played some music too. I also noticed them walking around very confidently with a bounce in their step. I also noted lots of vocalizing. Another one of the things that I really liked was how active the animals all were. In the zoos near where I live, it is really important to come in the morning or else all the animals will be sleeping, but at the National Zoo most of the animals were active all day long. The only animals that I didn't really see being active were the great apes and the tigers, which I was more or less okay with, even though I wanted to see the O-line in action. The sloth bears were even still foraging when I came back up the hill to leave. So I know that this might all be boring and stuff but I thought someone might appreciate it and I just really loved and enjoyed my visit to the zoo today. I will definitely return the next time I get the chance.

2. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

Believe navigating the zoo gets easier the more you go especially since a majority of the exhibits are on the olmsted walk.

Elephant trails was a major and great upgrade for the zoos elephants but what was built is really disappointing compared to what the original plan was. Money tends to be the biggest issue with the zoo which is why the maps are like what 5 dollars?

The O-line is only used for a believe an hour and I think it's between 11 and 12 so you have to get to the zoo somewhat early {well early for me I go at 1} to see it being used.

Do you have pictures? I can't really go to the zoo as often because of school and I like seeing new pictures of the zoo.

Did you see if there was any sign of something new in the old maned wolves exhibit?

3. ZooElephantMan

If money is an issue for them, it's definitely a much bigger issue for literally all of my home zoos in Massachusetts.

I went from 11-1, and the whole time all the great apes where in the great ape house the whole time.

I do have some pictures and a really nice video of shanthi which I will upload tonight.

No signs of anything at all going on with the maned Wolves.

How old are you? I am 15 and I went to DC for just the weekend. I was going for other reasons and the zoo was an added bonus.

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the hours may be a little longer than that. I think that's the prime time to see them, but I have ventured down the hill at like 1:30 and they were crossing the O-Line. However, I think there's a presentation at Think Tank around that time so they may know that and go in for a treat.

I know your question wasn't directed to me, but PM me if you want to see photos of the zoo. I can send you a link to my facebook account with my albums, or actually I think it's attached to my profile.

5. dcpandafan

That's what I meant when I said between 11 and 12.

I look at the photos on your facebook and those albums have more pictures of tamanduas then any person will need in their lifetime. They're so cute.

6. dcpandafan

I'm 14 and I used to go to the zoo every weekend but school started, it got colder, my mom works nights and sleeps during the day so after you add all of that up I don't really have time to go anymore.

7. ZooElephantMan

Oh yeah. You are so lucky to have a great zoo like this near you.

8. dcpandafan

9. dcpandafan

10. dcpandafan

Well here's the answer.

Scovill Zoo loses Tusa

Scovill Zoo loses Tusa | Local | herald-review.com

Doesn't the zoo have the most red pandas in the country out at Front royal?* Why do the need to bring in two pandas from other zoos.

* could be outdated info

11. blospz

I was hoping we would get Rusty back, but perhaps he's valuable at Front Royal. I am excited to see that exhibit full again though.

EDIT: I just heard from a docent they will be in the Small Mammal House for a bit. Mostly likely to complete the renovations to their exhibit in Asia Trail and to avoid the loud throngs of people who will be lined up to see Bei Bei inside.

12. dcpandafan

SMITHSONIAN’S NATIONAL ZOO AND CONSERVATION BIOLOGY INSTITUTE RENEWS GIANT PANDA BREEDING AGREEMENT

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/publications/pressmaterials/pressreleases/press-release.cfm?id=2741

Zoos facebook.

13. dcpandafan

National Zoo needs shorter hours so its trucks won’t hit joggers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...shorter-hours-so-its-trucks-wont-hit-joggers/

^
    Has an accident that involved a truck and a jogger ever happened?

14. dcpandafan

Zoos facebook

15. dcpandafan

16. blospz

17. dcpandafan

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sumatran Tiger, Sukacita has left for Dallas

19. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

20. dcpandafan

I just copy the title from the article... I don't know why they're yelling at us.