Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 6 Jan 2015.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. blospz

3. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

4. dcpandafan

This is from the zoo's facebook

"We hope you’re enjoying the Zoo’s animal cams! We’re sorry to announce that the software running some of our older cameras will no longer be supported and must be taken offline. The naked mole rat cam, clouded leopard cam, orangutan cam, fishing cat cam, and Asian small-clawed otter cam will go dark on June 1, 2015. Please note that the panda, lion and elephant cams are not affected and will stream without interruption. We’re exploring new technology and funding opportunities to expand online viewing in the future. Be sure to follow us on social media for the latest updates."

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. dcpandafan

According to a newsletter I got from the zoo the Chinese alligator laid 24 eggs this year

Also in that newsletter it there is a section called "We're expecting" and you can donate to the zoo to help them with all the animals expecting to give birth I couldn't find anything about these animals giving birth except for in this newsletter so I thought I would list them off.

Cuban Crocodile
    False Water Cobra
    Flamingos
    Roseate Spoonbills
    Stanley Crane
    Micronesian Kingfishers
    Gibbon
    Orangutan
    Chevrotain
    Red Ruffed Lemur
    Black Footed Ferret
    Golden Headed Lion Tamarin
    Fishing Cat
    Sloth Bear
    Clouded Leopards
    Cheetahs
    Scimitar Horned Oryx
    Addra Gazelle
    Persian Onager
    Red pandas
    and a possible sibling for Bao Bao

I don't know if some of these animals have already given birth or are even confirmed to be pregnant this is just what was under 2015 births. Also sorry for the long post.

7. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This hasn't happened yet, but the zoo is planning on breeding elephants Kandula with Maharani. I thought I would mention it since you are talking about breeding and its on topic. Maharani has had miscairrages before, so there is no worry about her being over 25 years old for when they mate.

8. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Aren't they related? I'm pretty sure Rani's mom, Kamala, is Kandula's paternal grandmother, therefore making Rani his aunt.

9. ZooElephantMan

Are you sure? Where did you see that? If thats true, then they should probably get Kandula out of there and bring in a different male, as sad as that would be.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2015
  10. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I heard that Bozie was being evaluated as a possible mate for Kandula as well. She was supposed to undergo a fertility assessment and also she got very excited when she encountered Kandula's poop when she had her introduction to the herd. Does anyone know how that went or is her being bred now out of the question? I understand she has a daughter and grandchildren in Houston, so this wouldn't be her first breeding but at the same time her genes have already been passed on so it isn't the end of the world if she isn't.

11. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kandula is related to Maharani. I believe they are nephew and aunt as well so breeding would be a very bad idea between these two.

That being said Maharani was with former mate Spike until his departure from Calgary. It is possible she is currently a year or so into a pregnancy. Nothing 100% on that but breeding was observed prior to Spike leaving. They never had much trouble getting pregnant. The problems happened once she gave birth or thereafter.

12. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed. Kamala had two calves with a male named Bandara while at Calgary, those calves being Chanda and Maharani.

Chanda is Kandula's father, making Rani and Kandula full aunt and nephew. As such, they would most certainly NOT be breeding that particular pair.

Additionally, Rani has not had any miscarriages. She has had 2 live born calves, and a single premature stillborn.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2015
  13. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds like you are getting dubious information.

14. ZooElephantMan

Ok sorry. I wonder why they got that Calgary herd if Kandula can't breed with any of them. It might of been smarter to move those elephants to a different zoo, unless they move Kandula to get a new bull, or supposedly breed him with Bozie like Wensleydale said bwfore

15. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

I have it on good authority that Kandula is being moved West to breed with several unrelated females and a bull will be moving to National to breed the young Calgary female. No other females at National are being considered for breeding except the young female

16. blospz

Oh I will miss seeing him, but glad he is going else where to pass on his genes.

17. blospz

I saw this in the email newsletter too and it was a bit confusing! At first it had a picture and mentioned in the headline of a gorilla expecting, but it was not on the list. I'm also curious about some animals, like the sloth bear, when breeding season hasn't even begun between Hanna and Francois this year. I hope orangutan and chevrotain is accurate, I'd love to see those babies!

18. ZooElephantMan

Kandula is a very, very special elephant. I will miss him too.

19. dcpandafan

I know right! The whole gorilla thing confused me as well. Also I do hope all the animals listed are accurate I would love seeing all those animals with little babies and I really hope we get to see a sibling for Bao Bao while shes still at the zoo.

20. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member