Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 6 Jan 2015.

1. dcpandafan

dcpandafan Well-Known Member

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The two southern tamanduas have begun mating. Although the species usually mates in the fall, it looks like these two are getting a head start. After it was done, the male was exhausted and took a nap while the female groomed him. Here's hoping for more mating sessions in the upcoming months!

4. dcpandafan

Things are getting interesting in D.C

Does mama panda at National Zoo have a bun in the oven?

There's growing speculation in Washington at the Smithsonian's National Zoo: Is mama panda Mei Xiang about to surprise the world with a new cub?

Yet, there are a few things a little off with this story.

First, there's no solid proof that Mei Xiang is pregnant, reports CBS News correspondent Chip Reid. Second, we don't even know who the father is. But the signs are there -- Mei's hormones have shot up.

And that's not the only clue that there's a bun in the oven.

Is National Zoo's mama panda Mei Xiang pregnant again? - CBS News

Panda-monium! National Zoo tries to find out if Mei Xiang is really pregnant

Mei Xiang is used to the spotlight. In addition to being one of the stars of the National Zoo, the 17-year-old panda is also mom to another celebrity resident — 2-year-old cub Bao Bao.

And she just might have another one on the way!

Panda-monium! National Zoo tries to find out if Mei Xiang is really pregnant - TODAY.com

Zoo: Panda hormone spike could be pregnancy

(CNN) - Panda Mei Xiang started showing a spike in her hormone levels last month, an indicator that she could be pregnant, the Smithsonian's National Zoo said Friday.

Panda hormone spike could be pregnancy, zoo says - CNNPolitics.com

5. dcpandafan

I was wondering if anyone knows what the construction next to the carousel is? I saw it when I was at the zoo and I have no idea what it is.

if you don't know what i'm talking about I believe you can see it on google maps.

6. dcpandafan

Things just got even more interesting in D.C

Part of National Zoo panda exhibit closes amid Mei Xiang’s possible pregnancy

Part of the National Zoo’s indoor panda exhibit has been closed to public view because the female giant panda Mei Xiang is showing some behaviors consistent with pregnancy or “pseudo-pregnancy,” zoo officials said Tuesday.

For example, she is becoming very sensitive to noise, acting restless and moving around.

Part of National Zoo panda exhibit closes amid Mei Xiang?s possible pregnancy - The Washington Post

Pregnant Panda? National Zoo Giving Mei Xiang Privacy

A new panda cub is coming to the Smithsonian National Zoo... maybe.

Scientists with the Smithsonian said giant panda Mei Xiang has shown continued signs of either the end of a pregnancy or a pseudopregnancy, with a conclusion one way or the other expected in the next 30-50 days, the National Zoo reported Tuesday.

Pregnant Panda? National Zoo Giving Mei Xiang Privacy | Georgetown, DC Patch

Part of National Zoo Panda Exhibit Closes as Mei Xiang Enters Final Stages of Pregnancy or Pseudopregnancy

Could a cub be on the way?
    The National Zoo has closed part of its giant panda exhibit because female panda Mei Xiang is spending more time in her den and becoming more sensitive to noise, zoo officials announced Tuesday. But don't get too excited just yet: Those could be signs that the giant panda is entering the final stages of pregnancy... or it could be a pseudopregnancy.

Part of National Zoo Panda Exhibit Closes as Mei Xiang Enters Final Stages of Pregnancy or Pseudopregnancy | NBC4 Washington

National Zoo closes part of panda den amid possible pregnancy

Female giant panda Mei Xiang has been showing signs she may be entering the final stages of pregnancy or “pseudo-pregnancy” for a few weeks now, but today, zoo officials have decided to close the exhibit to the public to give her more privacy.

National Zoo closes part of panda den amid possible pregnancy | Washington D.C. Sun Times

7. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. dcpandafan

9. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

According to the Zoo's twitter, Giant Panda Mei Xiang is believed to be in labour.

10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Facebook the zoo has confirmed Mei Xiang's water just broke. The birth could happen any time in the next several hours. Due to the interest getting on the cam to watch is nearly impossible. The zoo is recommending people download the zoo's app as an alternative.

11. dcpandafan

Panda-monium! National Zoo's Panda Is in Labor

Panda-monium! National Zoo's Panda Is in Labor - NBC News

National Zoo: Mei Xiang's Water Broke, Hoping for Healthy Birth

National Zoo: Mei Xiang's Water Broke, Hoping for Healthy Birth | NBC4 Washington

BREAKING: Zoo Reports Female Giant Panda Mei Xiang is in Labor

BREAKING: Zoo Reports Female Giant Panda Mei Xiang is in Labor | At the Smithsonian | Smithsonian

Giant panda is preparing to give birth, National Zoo says

Giant panda is preparing to give birth, National Zoo says - The Washington Post

and to think I was just at the zoo.

12. dcpandafan

Panda cub born at 5:35 pm live on panda cam... I knew I heard squeaking

Man this cub just took all the star power away from Bao Bao especially since the cub was born one day before Bao Bao turns 2!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2015
  13. dcpandafan

Also I went to the zoo today and saw some things I thought people would like to know

The outdoor gorilla yard is closed and from what I saw it looks like they're putting glass around the whole exhibit and not have some parts open air viewing and others with glass viewing.

The Female Chinese Alligator was moved to an outdoor exhibit behind the reptile discovery center but the male was left in the indoor exhibit.

The zoo has three Red Ruffed Lemur now. They might have add all three for a while now but last time I was there they still had the 1 and the toy one to keep her[?] company.

And finally I saw like this abandoned area of the zoo behind the North American Porcupine exhibit [if you don't know where that is it's behind the outdoor Prairie Dog exhibit] and I say abandoned because it's blocked off by a fence but the trail is covered with fallen leaves and there was a part missing a fence and there was even still animal signs on one of the exhibits [cusimanse] and there was trail that led to a mesh cage that still had bowls for food and crates in it [this part can be seen by going to the old bear grottos and looking down the hill].

I was just wondering if anyone knows what happened to this area of the zoo why it was left how it was.

Edit: I might be going back to the zoo next weekend so I might be able to get pictures of all these things then.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2015
  14. dcpandafan

15. dcpandafan

GIANT PANDA CUB BORN AT THE SMITHSONAIN'S NATIONAL ZOO

Giant panda Mei Xiang (may-SHONG) gave birth to a cub at the Smithsonian's National Zoo today, Aug. 22. The panda team witnessed the birth at 5:35 pm. Mei Xiang reacted to the cub by picking it up. The panda team began preparing for a birth when they saw Mei Xiang's water break at 4:32 pm and she was already having contractions. The sex of the cub won't be determined until a later date.

Press Release - National Zoo| FONZ

16. dcpandafan

Giant panda Mei Xiang gave birth at 5:35pm. Chief vet Don Neiffer says cub is vocalizing well and Mei is a great mom. We're watching 24-hours a day to monitor Mei and our new cub.

From the zoos facebook

17. dcpandafan

Bao Bao turns 2 years old today!

18. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. dcpandafan

20. dcpandafan

[​IMG]

In this photo provided by the Smithsonian's National Zoo, one of the giant panda cubs is examined by veterinarians after being born at Smithsonian's National Zoo on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015, in Washington. The National Zoo in Washington says its adult female panda has had twins. (B

APTOPIX National Zoo Panda