Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Drew730, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Yes, phasing in is a thing. Little Rock already had an anteater, so this will not be a new species for them.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Besides, it will assist a "lesser" in the deep south-east to develop its profile a little more. This Arkansas facility has seen some nice developments and new species lately, where equally quite a few older long term residents had recently passed away. So, none too bad a location to go to and yes the giant anteater will be there for breeding purposes too. What is grander than a miniature giant anteater baby@!!!

3. Drew730

Drew730 Well-Known Member

I don't know. many miniature giant anteater babies?

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Overhearing a keeper, a female dwarf mongoose arrived yesterday and is in quarantine. She has a dark coloration and is longer and more slender than the others.

Since the zoo's red pandas are not recommended to breed, they are separated until May. Today the male was scent marking and chirping like crazy.

5. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I forgot to mention that when I went to the zoo I noticed that the male (I'm assuming it was the male because it was larger) fishing cat was shaved on both (I believe it was both but i'm not 100% sure) of his sides. I was wondering if anyone knew why?

I'm also assuming that since the two were together the zoo is trying to breed them?

6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, it's the right time of the year for breeding, so that's probably what they're trying to do. Shave marks can be used for indentification from afar, or if someone is unfamiliar with the animals.

7. Andrew_NZP

Makes sense, but would they really need to shave an entire side of his body?

8. Andrew_NZP

The zoo has updated the bird house section of it's website.

It mentions that the building is closed for the new exhibit and the outside area will remain open for several more months. Only animals listed are the ones that live outside, the kiwi and the herons.

Bird House (outdoor viewing)

9. jayjds2

Black-crowned night herons replaced the blue billed curassow and have been on exhibit for a few weeks now. The only animal listed that isn't on exhibit is the kiwi.

10. Andrew_NZP

Interesting. I don't know how I didn't notice.

What happened to the curassow? Sent away i'm assuming?

11. jayjds2

Not sure. I went one day and it was no longer there, and on the next visit the herons were. Probably got sent away for breeding, the AZA's been "rebooting" their program, so to speak.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What is the total AZA captive population like and what is its outlook?
    Any in situ involvement?

In situ status: Critically Endangered (Birdlife). Most of the estimated extant population of between roughly 150-700 birds is in a mountain range near Medellin and the only protected habitat is on the coast in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta)?

13. jayjds2

Page 7 of this magazine has info:
    https://www.aza.org/assets/2332/web_connect_august_2016.pdf

At one point, our population was down to just 4.2 breeding individuals. Through some quick action, as well as imports from Europe and a private collection in Mexico, the population is now at about 45 birds. Can't find any in situation info.

14. Andrew_NZP

Gorilla See, Gorilla Do

"Calaya is not like the Zoo’s other western lowland gorillas. For months, keepers tried to encourage Calaya to train and participate in enrichment activities to no avail. Then came an “AHA!” moment: Calaya learned best not solely through human interaction, but by observing the actions of the other gorillas. That breakthrough, says animal keeper Melba Brown, allowed Calaya to quickly master husbandry behaviors and demonstrate her brilliance."

15. Andrew_NZP

A Pachyderm Project

"How big does a “weeble-wobble” have to be to withstand the strength of six female Asian elephants?"

"Over the fall 2016 semester, students at MICA, the Maryland Institute College of Art, sought to answer that question. Collaborating with the Smithsonian’s National Zoo’s animal care team, they designed and built an enrichment toy that would help the elephants use their natural behaviors in a new and different way."

16. Drew730

I've had a question that I want to be answered: If certain animals can't be out doors in the winter, then why don't they just move to an indoor exhibit, like the ring-tailed lemurs and the others at lemur island, why can't they just move in with the other lemur (red-ruffed) in the Small Mammal House?

17. Andrew_NZP

I don't think they really have the room at the Small Mammal house to do that.

18. Drew730

Fair point.

19. Drew730

Also, I wonder if the peccary pig exhibit will be re-made and have peccarys or other animals back in 2017.

20. Andrew_NZP

A volunteer told me that they had to raise money to fix up the buildings before they bring in a new species.

He said that some of the species that were thrown around were bringing back the peccaries, wallabies, wombats and Tasmanian devils (probably others he didn't mention). However he just said those were ideas and no species was heavily discussed.

Also could we try and keep this thread about news from now on? It's not even two weeks old and it's already at 50 post. I already ruined one thread and i'm not trying to ruin another.

jayjds2 likes this.