Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by Hipporex, 5 Jan 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Meet the Persian Onager Mares

Tells you about..... Well the Persian Onager Mares at the Front Royal campus. However it also reveals that a foal was born on August 1st.

2. Andrew_NZP

TinoPup likes this.
  3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have Przewalski's horses returned to the zoo? Weren't they going to renovate their exhibit and bring them back?

4. Andrew_NZP

They have not. Haven't been to the zoo in a bit, but there were some construction vehicles sitting in the exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually, 3 mares were pregnant this year (the one having already now foaled)!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  6. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

Bei Bei is Turning Four!

This note about Bei Bei's departure is a bit different than the two previous departures. With Tai Shan and Bao Bao, we were notified further in advance and described how the animal would be trained to feel comfortable in a travel crate, etc. This time, they basically say that all the plans and all the logistics have already been worked out, and he'll be shipping out in the coming months. I wonder if the public would have been reminded sooner if the sudden departure of all three SD bears hadn't happened. Trump has just delayed more massive sanctions from September to December, allegedly to make for robust Christmas sales here. With the contract for Mei and Tian to expire in December 2020, it will be very interesting to see if the tariff battle continues to (coincidentally??) mirror panda agreements.

ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is far from incidental and it is an absolute myth to think that politics and other issues or business do not mix and they do affect current affairs as we know them. Alas ...

Really and just to put it diplomatically (d.n. take offence please), not a time to "pride" yourselves in the current administration in this (as well as their entire environmental non-record).

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  8. AmbikaFan

If I come across that way, KB, thank you for pointing it out so that I might clarify. I take absolutely no pride in our current administration and have made impeachment law the subject of a class I teach for two years. I also expressed my disdain at the conclusion of a post in another thread. I only mention the subject here to continue the study of possible panda/tariff cause and effect.

Please, Mods, do not delete this post. I'm aware it's political, but I must clarify my previous post and reiterate that I'm only making this observation regarding a panda connection.

tom1998 and TinoPup like this.
  9. Andrew_NZP

10. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

On my US trip this autumn, I will mainly be in New York, but will have a day in Washington. With limited time in the zoo, what are the important areas to hit for someone visiting from Europe? I'm already excited about the black-footed ferrets...

11. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would prioritize Asia Trail, Small Mammals House, Reptile Discovery Center, and Amazonia. The Addra Gazelles in the Cheetah Conservation Center will be a different ssp to what's most common in Europe so those may be of interest as well.

~Thylo

oflory and StoppableSan like this.
  12. AmbikaFan

If you're from Europe, you might find the sea lions, gray seals, and harbor seal interesting on your walk down American Trail to Amazonia. There are Bald eagles as well. There are the pandas, too, on Asia Trail, including a youngster just turning four.

oflory and StoppableSan like this.
  13. oflory

Thanks both. It's going to be tricky to combine the zoo, the Natural History Museum and the National Gallery into one day but I'm going to try my best!

14. AmbikaFan

Yikes!!!:eek:

Andrew_NZP and oflory like this.
  15. AmbikaFan

Lol. That is surely my shortest post ever! But seriously, it's absolutely impossible, even if you tried it on horseback..

oflory likes this.
  16. oflory

I'm afraid it's going to be (I also want to eat a proper lunch and a proper dinner) - so am limiting myself to dinosaurs in the NHM and highlights as above of the zoo (skipping elephants, giraffes, tigers etc etc). In the National Gallery, my interest is really only European painting 1600-1800 (and even then, I'll be basically happy with just the Van Dyck room...).

17. AmbikaFan

Lol. You keep ADDING instead of delimiting! If you started with the museums, there's a lovely cafe on an open terrace of the Art Musum's East Wing just across the street. It's serene looking at art, like a huge Calder mobile out in the openness all around you.

Terrace Café

Kifaru Bwana and oflory like this.
  18. oflory

Sounds good to me! :)

19. AmbikaFan

Lol. Glad I could at least help with the proper lunch.;)

oflory likes this.
  20. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.