Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by red river hog, 31 Dec 2020.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's interesting. What are other people's thoughts on the new migration theme? I'm personally not completely sold on the idea, as I'd prefer seeing many of the exotic birds that won't be included in the new building. I'm not entirely opposed to keeping native birds in captivity, but I do think there needs to be a balance with some of the exotic birds as well.

2. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think its great tbh. Most of the species are in no way threatened with extinction but keeping them has already generated a better understanding of their ecology. This information may very well be applicable to conservation of the species, especially those that are most threatened by a changing climate. Also the exhibit will be a great educational tool. The zoo will still have some exotic birds around the bird house such as cassowary, cranes, kori bustard, and flamingo. So basically keeping the larger birds guests will probably expect the most. They may also have exotic birds in the outdoor walkthrough aviary. As well they still have South America birds in the amazon building.

To be honest I was initially skeptical but the exhibits development has spurred so much interesting husbandry data that I no longer am. As well the zoo still does great work with exotic birds and that will continue. But most of that work is best preformed off display anyways.

red river hog likes this.
  3. Neil chace

They have an Outdoor Aviary as well? If they are housing exotic birds in this Aviary (that I didn't know existed), I guess it is justified to keep more natives in the bird house. Hopefully this Aviary houses the guam rails. There definitely is a need for facilities to house rehabilitation animals and also house songbirds confiscated from smuggling schemes, and this bird house could be a place to do this.

4. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

Personally I like the direction that they’re going. There aren't many bird houses like this and many of the species are extremely rare in captivity.

5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

TinoPup likes this.
  6. red river hog

TinoPup likes this.
  7. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. SaritaWolf

SaritaWolf Well-Known Member

I guess they’re not planning to breed them then?

10. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They aren't going to be bred. The zoo has done all of its breeding of the species offsite for a while now.

11. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most of National Zoo's breeding is conducted at their Front Royal facility. The zoo typically reserves their exhibit spaces for non-breeding individuals

12. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For those who are not familiar with the name Kojo alone: He's a gorilla.

14. Nolie Thornell

Nolie Thornell Active Member

This is good news for Kojo and NZP's troop. Kojo gets his own girls now and the national zoo's five get the entirety of the gorilla line of enclosures and now do not have to share the yard. I would expect them to bring in more new females soon especially as moke gets bigger and Calaya is less focused on him.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How is the current group made up?

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Kifaru Bwana, the current group is Bakara, Calaya, Moke, Mandara (who is medically unable to breed) and Kibibi who is supposed to breed with Bakara once construction on their exhibit is done. No new females are expected.

Kojo is joining Matadi, Nia Lena and Samantha with no breeding expected for the time being.

Quite a few gorilla moves are being done in line with the new SSP, many to free up space for future bachelor groups as there is a large group of young males in the 4-8 year range that need to be sorted out over the next 4 years.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  17. Nolie Thornell

Nolie Thornell Active Member

Isnt there some kind of agreement with the SSP that if you have a breeding group of gorillas you must also have a bachelor group? Or am I just totally making that up in my head? Im asking because it sounded like the zoo didnt intend to get another bachelor group going if anything they said they may want to add one or two more females given the extra space they now have.

18. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've never heard of that before. They say that bachelor troops are necessary for the long-term survival of gorillas in captivity, so I'm assuming they're just trying to get as many bachelor troops in facilities as they can. I don't think they're forcing anyone to have them if they have a breeding troop, though.

StoppableSan likes this.
  19. Neil chace

They most certainly aren't. I know as a fact that Franklin Park Zoo only keeps a breeding group, and no bachelor group- and I am sure other facilities do this as well, although I don't know which ones.

20. red river hog

Yep. Philly as well. I believe they used to have a bachelor group, but not anymore.

StoppableSan and Neil chace like this.