Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by IndianRhino, 3 Jan 2022.

1. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Well it was never posted here so I'm guessing this is going to be as official as it gets unless something related to the maned wolves gets announced.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Because it happened last November and was posted in the 2021 news thread.

Mr Wrinkly, Okie, MeiLover and 7 others like this.
  3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Still nothing on the Birdhouse?

4. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sometime in 2023 is the tentative timeline for the Bird House's reopening. Because this is a historic building, it does take a significant amount of time to replace aging infrastructure and restore elements that are necessary to restore.

5. Smaggledagle

On July 25th, the zoo announced that a (0.1) Hereford cow named Rose has passed away due to a decline in health. She was 19 years old.

Smithsonian’s National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute
    Hereford Dies at Smithsonian’s National Zoo

Also should be of note: if anyone uses the Smithsonian email to receive updates about events and news at the zoo, the company they use (Wordfly) suffered a ransomware attack on July 10th and your data might be at risk, though they have said it's been deleted.

Smithsonian Statement: WordFly Data Security Incident

Andrew_NZP, TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  6. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A conversation with a keeper from my visit yesterday confirmed the death of the zoo’s Philippine Crocodile back in this spring. :(

7. Smaggledagle

8. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

Really? It is still listed on the zoos website and I saw her back in April

9. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Keepers and vets are always accurate when you get information from them but not when others do?

10. TinoPup

They may just be behind on updating the website, that happens plenty. The employee works in the reptile department and is an employee who works with the animals, not just a volunteer or front-office person, so would know best. There's also two more months to spring after April, so that's plenty of time for the death to still have occurred in spring.

11. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

Garrett, the zoos 12 year old male lesser kudu, has died. The kudu are currently off exhibit as one of them is recovering from an injury(idk which one) and Machi is permanently separated from the group being a growing male. Even though the kudu are listed off exhibit, Machi is sometimes still on exhibit alone with the hornbills. Machi and Garrett used to live together and I saw them both back in April. I hope the plan would be to move Machi to another institution if he is permanently separated(since kudu are social animals.)

StoppableSan and Smaggledagle like this.
  12. Smaggledagle

On August 3rd, the zoo announced that a (0.0.1) golden-headed lion tamarin was born on July 15th.

Andrew_NZP likes this.
  13. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's now a pygmy marmoset (apparently named "Chorizo") on exhibit in the SMH, per photos posted on FB by a couple people.

StoppableSan and Smaggledagle like this.
  14. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo has a new cheetah named Carmelita (or "Lita", according to the website) and the brother duo Donnie and Copley are gone, no clue where they were sent.

It appears that Chorizo is the only pygmy marmoset they have, as they were the only one I saw and there was a stuffed animal in their exhibit with them.

On my last visit in July, the second tree shrew exhibit located near the cloud rat was converted into an exhibit for degus, with the degus old exhibit across from the goeldi's monkeys being empty. Today the old degu exhibit (by the goeldi's) is now signed for northern tree shrews and the degus were gone, with all three exhibits by the cloud rat (including hers, obviously) having the nocturnal lighting setup, though the cloud rat appeared to only have access to one.

The red ruffed lemur, and the golden lion tamarin/sloth/green aracari exhibits were both empty and had paper covering most of the window. All the animals except the green aracari were signed at the exhibits outside in the back. The golden lion tamarins were back there back in July, but the others weren't. I don't know anything and there wasn't anybody to ask, but I'd guess they're doing some kind of work in those exhibits, otherwise why cover the windows in paper and not just put "nobody home" signs in the exhibits? Somewhat interestingly the sloths were signed in the same exhibit as the red ruffed lemurs (which is the old black howler exhibit) and not with the tamarins, though I didn't see any sloths.

Two new goats named Wilma & Betty are on exhibit at the Kids Farm in the old hog barn.

There are once again red-bellied piranhas exhibited in Amazonia.

Two new exhibits were installed in the reptile house, no clue if the animals signed will be the animals put in them, or those are just leftover from the old exhibits.

Attached Files:

15. TinoPup

Donnie and Copley should have gone down the road to Baltimore, with Bud & Davis going to St Louis.

StoppableSan and IndianRhino like this.
  16. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Bud and Davis are still at Baltimore

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. TinoPup

They should be leaving, per breeding recommendation.

18. Smaggledagle

ZooBinh, Fallax and Andrew_NZP like this.
  19. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

20. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That plan must have been altered. I heard the two cheetahs in Baltimore are staying there and the DC pair went to a zoo facility in Kansas (I wasn't told which one).

TinoPup and IndianRhino like this.