Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by IndianRhino, 3 Jan 2022.

1. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The two indoor exhibits are being worked on. Two weeks ago they had the red ruffed lemurs paired with one of the sloths, who stayed in the crate in the exhibit. A week ago I noticed the door to their holding area was opened and one of the sloths was hanging out back there. I believe it's the male sloth, Vlad, and I am guessing that their female sloth, Athena, is behind the scenes. It might have changed since last week, but the aracari was in the two male tamandua exhibit then.

Andrew_NZP likes this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting! Thanks for the update.

3. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Andrew_NZP likes this.
  4. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

During a keeper talk today the keeper said a mate has finally been found for Moyo, the zoos 14 year old Grevy's Zebra and he will be moving to the Bronx Zoo sometime next month. The zoo doesn't plan to acquire anymore zebras in the meantime as renovations to the area will begin sometime soon, and will take about 2 years, probably longer considering it is a federal project.

5. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When will the zoo reveal what these renovations will entail? I'm honestly surprised that they're already starting renovations on the African area, and I'm not entirely sure whether any expectations I have are justified or if I need to temper them...

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  6. Andrew_NZP

If you're expecting giraffes, don't.

Species wise it seems like they're still in like a planning/discussion phase, but it sounded like it'd be mostly the same, since zebras, red river hogs and cheetahs were talked about in a way that made it seem like they'd be back, and the hornbills and vultures would be staying at the zoo while all other species would be leaving during construction. They did however mention wanting a better diversity of birds and hoofstock.

Also while I asked some questions afterwards, they just brought up the renovations during the keeper talk, so it doesn't seem like it's all meant to be a secret or anything, so you could probably just ask someone next time you're at the zoo or send them like an email or fill out one of the contact forms they have on their website and see if they'll answer you.

7. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, no giraffes until the Zoo manages their parking situation better - so not anytime soon.

From the Smithsonian's FY2023

"The Smithsonian requests $5.0 million in FY 2023 to continue renovating the
    Cheetah Conservation Station to include mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP)
    system upgrades, along with related building infrastructure improvements, stormwater
    management and yard renovations, added containment fencing, and pedestrian surface
    repairs. As part of this revitalization, nearly all site and building infrastructure will be
    replaced, which will restore operational functionality and support animal care needs. In
    addition, due to erosion caused by intense storm run-off, the structural foundation for the
    station must be replaced and raised up to prevent future deterioration. The containment
    fence, visitor barriers, and security systems will be replaced in response to AZA
    inspections and to reduce the deferred maintenance backlog. Structural improvements will be made to address the safety of maintenance workers and support best practices in
    animal welfare and management of their habitats and housing."

8. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

9. Smaggledagle

On September 25th, the institute announced that (0.0.60+) black-footed ferrets were born between April 20th and July 19th.

Fallax likes this.
  10. Andrew_NZP

Signage has been put back up for Rüppell's griffon vultures, and they will now be on exhibit with Linda the zoos ostrich. I didn't see them, so no clue if they're already on exhibit or if they've only just put the signage back up.

The zoos pygmy marmoset has been off-exhibit my last two visits, and after talking with a keeper it seems like their return might end up being short lived. Apparently he came with a sibling, but they ended up passing away, and they haven't been able to get another to pair with him, and it sounded likely that they'll probably end up sending him back to live with his family in the Bronx.

The zoos last Northern Luzon giant cloud rat was sadly put down, and their old exhibits have now been taken over by a pair of pygmy slow loris. I believe they said it was a breeding recommendation, but either way they're both currently a bit too young anyway.

Jacob F, TinoPup and Grant like this.
  11. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any updates on when the new bird house will be opening? I feel like it's been in development for as long as I've been on this site and yet there is still no indication it'll be opening soon that I can find.

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  12. Andrew_NZP

The website just says 2023, so all we can do is hope that it opens before the sun dies.

In the meantime however they did do a sneak peek last year where they showed some construction photos if anyone is interested. Things probably look a bit different now considering the video was released a year ago.

13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Devastated about the rats, loved those guys :(

SaritaWolf, ZooBinh and Andrew_NZP like this.
  14. Smaggledagle

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two cheetah cubs were born on October 3rd at the Biology Institute.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Oct 2022
    TinoPup, IndianRhino, Fallax and 2 others like this.
  16. Andrew_NZP

StoppableSan and TheGerenuk like this.
  17. Andrew_NZP

In the story about the zoos new owls posted by @Smaggledagle it says at the bottom:
    "The Bird House is currently closed for renovations but stay tuned for opening news in early 2023."

I also contacted the zoo about it and this is the response I got:
    "The new Bird area has certainly taken much longer than predicted! The word we have now is winter of 2023. But I guess no guarantees.."

So it seems like the current plan is for the area to open sometime in January-March.

18. Smaggledagle

On October 6th, it was announced that the zoo acquired a (1.0) maned wolf named Niko from the John Ball Zoo in Michigan.

SaritaWolf and StoppableSan like this.
  19. Smaggledagle

Andrew_NZP likes this.
  20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Smaggledagle likes this.