Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 2 Mar 2010.

1. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

There are not panda fees.

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So I think it's pretty certain I'm going to this zoo on Thursday. However, I would like advice on how to view the animals when I'm there. The reason I ask is because it's going to be very hot like 97 degrees. I'm going to be there when they open, but should I try to see the outside animals first since it will be cooler in the morning? I'm hoping to see the orangutans use the O-Line, but I'm not sure if they'll even come out when it's this hot.

So if anyone's ever been to the zoo on a hot day and could tell me from their experience what animals can be a hit or miss, that be great. Thanks!

3. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

We were told by volunteers that the best shot at seeing the Orangs on the O Line is at opening,its worth a shot.Also not sure what part of Pandas if any are open but they are not very active in the heat.

Team Tapir

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A male Whooping crane called "Rocky" has arrived at the zoo, he is 11 years old and came from Homosassa springs park in Florida.

5. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So the zoo has had quite some activity this week with the announcement of the Kids Farm being kept open, red pandas being born last month, and Mei Xiang, the giant panda not being pregnant after all. What is everyone's reaction to these new developments?

I never really cared before if the Kids Farm was closed. But now I'm happy that it's remaining open so the animals can stay in their home. And it will be nice to actually walk on the boardwalk to Amazonia with animals still in fields instead of looking at what once was.

I am happy the red panda has babies, but sad Mei Xiang didn't have a cub. Reading a couple of articles, it seems the zoo is adamant about replacing the current pair. One article said they may give it once last try for next year and other one stated they are already looking into replacing one or both of the pandas. Although I know this is done to substain the species and it may be an agreement they have with China to produce a cub after so many years, but I find it sad that the pandas have to leave their home. Although I know animals move to different zoos all the time and this pair may have had to leave some time down the road. Hopefully I will get to the zoo again before either one leaves. I'll probably wait until Autumn when the weather is cooler.

6. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Regarding the pandas, I think its basically all up to Chinese officials since they own the pair. I assume the zoo could request for a new pair or new female, but its up to China.

7. NAIB Volunteer

Just found this news article about possibly adding Bhutanese Takin to the Asia Trail exhibit. The exhibit would be located right next to the Giant Panda exhibit. Sounds exciting!

News article: Keen on having Bhutanese Takin - Kuensel Online

8. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bhutan Takins alone would have me at the National Zoo in a heart beat! I'll certainly have to keep up with the story and see if it all goes through.

9. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I would rather see the zoo display Mishmi Takins, which are considered endangered compared to Bhutan Takins which are vulnerable. Also I would like to see them import some Mishmi Takins so that they could add some new animals to the population already found in the Denver. Not to mention that they virtually look the same.

10. NAIB Volunteer

11. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

does anyone know whats going to be new at the zoo in summer 2012? like any new exhibits or animals? thks