Join our zoo community

Smithsonian National Zoo Smithsonian National Zoo species list.

Discussion in 'United States' started by dcpandafan, 12 Mar 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Right you are! All the little things I'd forgotten... There is a bird in there I don't know the ID of, but I haven't posted a picture yet. I'm rubbish at macaws, but I gave it my best shot :p. I think that completes our list of what is at the zoo.

2. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Great list! I have visited the Reptile House today and have the following additions:
    additional species (not mentioned by jayjds2): Caiman Lizard, Green Tree Python, Hellbender (in the Salamander Lab), Dyeing Poison Dart Frog, Blue Poison Dart Frog, and Oriental Fire-belly Toad. Also, they have Western Diamondback Rattler, not Eastern Diamondback:)
    I did not see Indian Flapshell Turtle labled today (used to share the exhibit with Gharial, but today I saw Bornean Painted Batagur there instead); also the window into Japanese Giant Salamander Lab was completely covered with paper

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

For the mammals, there was also dark cusimanse (Crossarchus obscurus) in the Small Mammal House. I have a few photos of it halfway inside a leather sack.

The agouti is probably red-rumped/Brazilian (Dasyprocta leporina).

The site lists they also have lesser tree shrew, but I didn't see any. Does anyone know if they are off-exhibit?

4. zoo_enthusiast

Are you sure about Cusimanse? They had them years ago, but I thought they are long gone. Small Mammals House no longer even has a label for them. In fact I thought the species is gone from AZA...

5. jayjds2

There was no dark cusimanse. The agouti is indeed Brazilian. Lesser tree shrew would be in the small mammal house, but it wasn't a few weeks ago and the website is very outdated.

6. zoo_enthusiast

Small Mammal House also has Two-toed Sloth (as of yesterday in two separate exhibits). Also, during my yesterday's visit the House did not have any Rock Cavies and Prairie Dogs, and those species were not even labeled (however, I believe I saw both species as late as December 2015)

7. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo does not have Cusimanse. I'm 99% sure you're talking about the zoos Banded mongoose. The zoo doesn't have Lesser tree shrews. Never trust the website. It still says the zoo has 1 Ring tailed lemur and doesn't mention Black and White ruffed lemurs despite the fact that they have 5 Ring tails and have had Black and White since November.

Pretty sure the Prairie dogs were moved to the outdoor exhibit. I don't really have any evidence backing this up but since its spring now it just makes sense.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2016
  8. Coelacanth18

Yes, I apologize for the confusion. I went back and looked at the picture, and it is indeed a banded mongoose. I could have sworn that I saw signage for cusimanse and not banded mongoose on the enclosure (otherwise I'm not sure why I would have made that mistake) but I could be wrong on that also. In any case, if there was a sign I guess it's been taken down now.

9. Andrew_NZP

I went to the zoo today and here's some notes.

* Kids farm is still closed. However the walkway to the Amazonia is open so you can still see some of the animals.

* An Arapaima was having some sorta operation today so the top part of the river section and the forest were closed sadly.

* I asked a lot of questions to a volunteer on American trail and here's what I asked and his answers.

* I didn't know this before but apparently the two Harbor seals the zoo received are actually elderly animals. Since the Adventure aquarium closed their Pinniped exhibit I asked if that's why the zoo got the Harbor seals or if they were always gonna bring in some. He said that he never said it wasn't the plan but because the aquarium closed their Pinniped the zoo kinda got "lucky".

* I noticed that the two Gray wolves were separated and I asked why. He said that Coby (black/gray) attacked Crystal (white) and she had some bad scars around her neck. I asked if the zoo has thought about possibly expanding the pack and bringing in more wolves. He said that both of the wolves are elderly and if they ever thought about getting more it would probably be after they pass on but its always possible.

* He said they might bring in another North american river otter to keep the other company since his brother died. He also told me that if the otter dies before they bring in another one they would still keep otters there and not bring in a new species.

* The two center exhibits in the Small mammal house have made progress. Someone was actually working on them while we were there.

* According to a volunteer the Fennec fox kit should be on exhibit soon.

* Lulu (Sand cat) has gone into estrus so today for only the second time ever. They put Lulu and Thor together.

* Same volunteer said that the plan for the Short eared elephant shrew and the exhibit is to just let the one shrew live out the rest of her life and when she passes on they'll go from there.

* The volunteer at the Cheetah conservation station said that the zoo might bring in more cheetahs but they're gonna keep it at just the 2 for now.

* I asked her what happened to the second Sitatunga. She said it was sent to another facility which makes no sense to me since the zoo had only had it for less than a year. I asked if they were gonna bring in another one and she immediately said yes, but than she was gonna ask about it because she wasn't sure.

* She said the zoo is gonna bring in 2 Maned wolves from another zoo. I asked why they weren't sticking to the theme and bringing in an African species, and she said it was because the wolves always lived there. Well before the zoo turned it into the zoos official African area.

* A lot more exhibits in the Bird house are empty compared to the last time I went. Although I last went in late 2015.

And that's really it. I think i'm gonna upload these "notes" in here instead of the news thread since this isn't really news but rather notes/updates.

I also have pictures but i'm tired so expect them to be uploaded at random times.

10. Andrew_NZP

I have always been fascinated by the history of the zoo and recently I've been reading about some of the zoos original plans for certain exhibits.

I found this old zoogoer article from 1997 and it talks about the original plan for Beaver valley (now American trail). The exhibit was originally gonna be called Aquatics Trail, and it was supposed to be an exhibit based on water. The reason is because the zoos sea lions, seals, otters and beavers lived on the trail.

ZooGoer: Water

http://web.archive.org/web/20000304132342/http://www.fonz.org/zoogoer/zg-archives.htm

Also according to an old version of the zoos website. The original plan for Asia trail was in multiple phases. The first phase was supposed to open in 2005 and species included were sloth bears, fishing cats, clouded leopards, red pandas, and giant pandas. Phase two would relocate the elephants to a new area of the zoo to make an exhibit big enough for a breeding herd. The old plan included improved habitats for muntjac and gibbons, and was gonna bring in new animals such as tufted deer and giant salamanders.

https://web.archive.org/web/2003100...Publications/PressMaterials/NZP/FactsFigs.cfm

Also this is a pdf talking about some of the first plans for Asia trail.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/AboutUs/FuturePlans/Asia Trail EA 16dec03 web.pdf

11. jayjds2

Some updates, mainly for the bird house:

Elegant crested tinamou and guira cuckoo are gone. The kiwi exhibit was inaccessible.

In a variety of exhibits, these four species have been added:
    Scarlet tanager, ovenbird, indigo bunting, and common yellowthroats. They are all for the Experience Migration exhibit.

The birds I had listed as red capped cardinals are actually red crested cardinals (aka Brazilian cardinals).

A lot of animals got shuffled in the small mammal house. Several exhibits are empty right now. The two exhibits in the center have now been completed. The one closer to the entrance holds golden lion tamarin and la plata three banded armadillo, while the other side holds golden headed lion tamarin.

As it died, there is no longer a Japanese giant salamander on exhibit in Asia Trail.

12. Andrew_NZP

I'm gonna try my best to update some of these list. Some of these aren't gonna be 100% complete. I'm also gonna skip the Bird and Reptile houses.

Italic= Not sure if the species is correct/ don't know the species.

Underlined = Not 100% the zoo still has this species/ didn't see.

Bold = Species isn't on exhibit.

* = incomplete list

Amazonia*

Arapaima

Black pacu

Arrau Turtle

Red-tailed catfish

Oscar

Silver Arowana

Electric eel

Banded Leporinus

Cory catfish

Striped Raphael catfish

Panda cory

Royal Plecostomus

South American lungfish

Silver dollar

Red-bellied piranha

Violet line piranha

Cardinal tetra

Neon tetra

Bleeding heart tetra

Blue whale catfish

Retzer's Elephant-nose Knifefish

knifefish (I remember glass knifefish while my mom remembers black ghost)

Freshwater stingray

Mata Mata

Amazon milk frog

Smooth-sided toad

Rainbow boa

Red-footed tortoise

Roseate spoonbill

Yellow-rumped cacique

Green aracari

White-eared titi

Amazonia Science gallery*

African clawed frog

Western Tiger salamander

Aquatic Caecilian

Sabana Surinam toad

Eastern red spotted newt

Green and Black poison frog

Blue poison dart frog

Yellow-banded poison dart frog

Golden poison frog

Panamanian golden frog

Dyeing poison frog

Gray tree frog

Fowler's toad

Various unsigned frog species

Coral Lab*

Clown anemonefish

Warty frogfish

Peacock Mantis shrimp

In between Amazonia and American Trail

Andean bear

American Trail

California sea lion

Grey seal

Harbor seal

Grey wolf

North American beaver

North American river otter (Will return in 2017)

Hooded merganser

Wood ducks

Bald eagle

Brown pelican

Hawk

Asia Trail

Giant panda

Red panda

Fishing cat

Clouded leopard

Asian small-clawed otter

Sloth bear

Asian elephant

Elephant Trails

Asian elephants

Cheetah Conservation Station

Cheetah

Grevy's zebra

Sitatunga

Red river hog

Dama gazelle

Scimitar-horned oryx

Rüppell's griffon vulture

Maned wolves

Abyssinian ground hornbill

Lesser kudu

American Bison Exhibit

American Bison

Small Mammal House*

Northern tree shrew

Golden lion tamarin

Southern three banded armadillo

Dwarf mongoose

Fennec fox

Prehensile-tailed porcupine

Two-toed sloth

Golden-headed lion tamarin

Coppery titi

Geoffroy's marmoset

Red-ruffed lemur

Greater mouse-deer

Pale-headed saki

Brazilian agouti

Rock hyrax

Rock cavy

Screaming hairy armadillo

Brush-tailed bettong

Malagasy giant rat

Southern tamandua

Meerkat

Black-footed ferret

Chinchilla

Small Madagascar hedgehog tenrec

Prevost's squirrel

Banded mongoose

Striped skunk

Von der Decken's hornbill

Black howler monkey

Great Ape House

Western lowland gorilla

Bornean orangutan

Hybrid orangutan

Gibbon Ridge

White-cheeked gibbon

Siamang

Think Tank

Bornean orangutan

Hybrid orangutan

Land hermit crab

Brown rat

Allen's swamp monkey

Schmidt's red-tailed monkey

In between Think Tank and Great Cats

Caracal

Bobcat

Great Cats on Lion and Tiger hill

African Lion

Sumatran Tiger

Lemur Island

Ring-tailed lemur

Red fronted lemur

Black and white ruffed lemur

Kids Farm

Alpaca

Holstein cow

Hereford cow

Miniature donkey

San clemente island goat

Nigerian dwarf goat

Domestic chickens

Ossabaw island hogs

Prairie Dog Playland

Childrens play area

Spring/Summer exhibit for Black-tailed prairie dogs

Animals not a part of any specific area.

Przewalski's horse (next to small mammals)

Giant anteater (behind lemur island, next to Uncle Beazley)

North American porcupine (next to prairie dog playland)

Last edited: 22 Aug 2016
  13. Coelacanth18

As per my visit today, they have two. They are the same species as at Smithsonian, Callicebus moloch.

jayjds2 likes this.
  14. jayjds2

Thanks. There are also 5-7 at the Metro Richmond Zoo, so there are a few more around than previously thought.

This thread is due for an update, I'll work on that soon.