Join our zoo community

United States Smithsonian's Conservation Biology Institute Collection Over Time

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Sarus Crane, 11 Oct 2021.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found an older book in my local library about the National Zoo and inside they had a section about the SCBI. They had photos of species that aren't there any more such as Bactrian Camels, Takins, and Sarus Cranes. It seems that the collection has downsized over time or that the zoo doesn't want to showcase other species that they hold? It'd be great to find out all the species that were held there previously and would be nice to attend the Conservation Discovery Day sometime to see some of the rarer species such as Eld's Deer and Hooded Cranes which are barely represented in the AZA.

Summer Tanager likes this.
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You don't see any animals on Conservation Discovery Day :( It's talks and presentations and stuff.

3. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What a waste of time if its just that. I can see why in recent years with the pandemic its virtual. It'll probably stay that way. People usually go to events like this in the hopes of seeing animals.

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think they get a lot of youth groups and whatnot. Some of the talks are pretty advanced, and are great for those wanting to know more about the species. I was going to go in 2019 but didn't feel great that morning, and didn't want to do the 3 hour drive. The event usually sells out, even without seeing any of the species the place keeps.

Summer Tanager likes this.