Join our zoo community

Snakes, Bears, & Other Western Treasures | M. Man Goes To South Dakota

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 7 Jan 2022.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In early fall of 2021, I took a trip out west to what is often considered the "Mount Rushmore State," South Dakota. It was an awesome and fun-filled time, checking out some of the most iconic monuments and most beautiful slices of nature around. Of course, the famous Mount Rushmore and the incomplete, but still intriguing, Crazy Horse monuments made up part of the trip; as a history fan, these were great to see, especially the former and learning the grueling process of bringing the four U.S. presidents together on that cliff face. On the more "wild" side of things, the two other major highlights came in the form of Custer State Park and Badlands National Park - both of which were magnificent to behold. I'd particularly recommend the latter for both nature photography and wildlife sightings. :D However, what's a trip without a couple zoological attractions thrown in? Here is Part 1 of what my South Dakota vacation had to offer in terms of captive animal sightings!

Review of Bear Country USA

https://www.bearcountryusa.com

Nestled in the gorgeous back country of Rapid City, South Dakota, sits Bear Country USA, a unique drive-thru and walk-around wildlife park. It was opened in 1972 with the American black bear as its headlining species. For the last nearly 30 years, the Park has grown in terms of species, including the addition of the walking portion Wildlife Walkway. As of today, the Park is primarily known for its rearing of younger animals in order to assist with manageability and survival. The animal collection currently sits at about 25 species.

I’ll admit I didn’t know what to expect with this facility, mostly because I have been to very few drive-thru animal parks. After leaving this Park, honestly, I’m thrilled to say it exceeded my expectations. I was amazed at not only the close proximity of the animals to my vehicle, but also just how beautifully laid out the Park was, whether that was driving amongst the South Dakota wilderness or admiring how tidy the guest areas were. Along with its neighbor Reptile Gardens (to be reviewed soon), this is the closest thing to a zoo that the town of Rapid City has, and while it may be limited in quantity, it takes advantage of what it has very well to give a unique and high-quality wildlife experience.

Animal Exhibit Complexes

Drive-Thru Portion – All visitors begin their adventure at Bear Country USA via this one-way trail through a series of enormous animal habitats. The road winds through vast pastures, light pine woods, and rocky and hilly landscapes that at times might as well be the nearby Custer State Park; this is easily the best element to be found at this facility. It’s also nice how the establishment focuses on native wildlife; as a result, the experience feels very genuine and immersive, giving a great sense of how these animals thrive in the wilds that are just a stone throw’s away. Occasionally the fencing is noticeable while driving through, but it’s mostly near the gates, and is for the most part blended well with the natural scenery. Additionally, there are some other manmade creations found in the habitats such as small wooden shelters and, most prominently, the mock rock formations in the bear habitat. Like the fencing, they can stick out sometimes, but most are not as noticeable, even blending in fairly well within the exhibits and with the backdrops. The one stand-out amongst these is found near the end of the bears before entering the bison area; a large mock-rock mountain is dotted with pine trees, and contains a horseshoe-shaped pool with a flowing stream. The only creatures that one cannot drive amongst are the cougars, which have their own separate pair of enclosures. While not enormous, they are a decent size and length, featuring tall trees and rocky areas. The animal habitats are experienced in the following order: elk, reindeer, Arctic wolf, bighorn sheep (this exhibit is entered/exited through twice), Dall sheep (don’t think I saw any), timber wolf, cougar, American black bear/timber wolf, and American bison/pronghorn/mule deer.

Wildlife Walkway – After driving amongst bison, bears, and other large mammals, guests can stretch their legs on this loop that, while not as strong as the drive-thru, is enjoyable. Small mammals are the primary residents found here, generally within grassy enclosures surrounding a large artificial rock formation bearing the Park’s name (no pun intended :p) with a couple bear models on top. Although these exhibits are surrounded by chain-link, they are fairly spacious with the occasional natural element such as small trees or rocky areas to gain some height. The two stand-out habitats are the largest among these. North American river otters have access to a huge pond and room to run around, while on the far side of the loop, several black bear cubs were causing mischief in their large exhibit that features a number of climbing opportunities. Staff explained that the cubs are hand-raised not just for easier management, but to also avoid any potential overcrowding with the other bears in the larger habitats. I can imagine, considering the quantity of bears numbers in about the 50’s out in the drive-thru. Other species in these exhibits include foxes (red and Arctic), coyote, raccoon, Canadian lynx, and bobcat. There is also a row of smaller exhibits for the following: beaver, porcupine, woodchuck, American badger, and skunk. These for the most part offer numerous amounts of dirt and sand to dig around in, plus a shallow pool for the beavers to swim in. Then there is the “Discovery Den,” a fairly new building. Leading up to the main plaza, there are viewing windows into dens for beaver and porcupine (the only glass viewing on the loop), and the main attraction is an all-indoor space for pine marten with numerous furnishings. To finish off this section, there is a separate habitat that is quite spacious, filled with plants, a pool, and a mock-rock mountain with a waterfall and cave. This was originally for a male grizzly bear named Tank, who passed away in 2020. Javelinas now reside in this exhibit, but I didn’t see any of the swine on my visit.

Visitor Experiences

The one noticeable aspect to this establishment is how beautifully it utilizes its surrounding natural landscape and scenery. As stated before, whether one is going through a pine forest, alongside a rocky streamside, or across a hilly prairie, the South Dakota wilderness seemingly engulfs one as they drive along, and the fencing is hardly noticeable at times. Wildlife Walkway is also well laid out, with the loop that surrounds the artificial cliff, and a nice balance of animal exhibits and pretty landscaping along the path. Another fascinating feature I noticed is the Park’s way of conservation and land renewal. For example, one of the three largest exhibits (next to the river otters) was empty with only a sign present explaining how the Park gives the foliage a chance to be renewed before additional occupants are added. This was very interesting to observe, and helps give the Park another point for uniqueness. These traits all help make Bear Country USA overall one of the most gorgeous animal attractions I’ve been to.

Apart from the ticket booth at the very beginning, all visitor amenities are found at the very end of one’s experience at the Park. Once the drive-thru portion is completed, one parks their car in a small parking lot in order to either satisfy any guest needs or check out the Wildlife Walkway. Along the trail, guests will come across the stunning entry area to the loop, restrooms, the “Cub Grub Snack Shack,” a memorial hill for the Park’s founder Dr. Casey, and the “Bear’s Den,” a large and pretty gift shop with all sorts of bear and North American animal-themed souvenirs. The only component that would be nice to see is expanded educational features; Wildlife Walkway does have animal signs with general information, but the drive-thru species are limited to a couple posters at the “Discovery Den” area. It would be beneficial if either an additional guidebook or pamphlet were offered before starting the adventure as well. Other than that, the Park has set guests up for a solid experience beyond viewing its wild residents.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The namesake American black bears definitely nabbed the spotlight on my visit. Most noteworthy is the sheer number of the animals that are found roaming a few of the Park’s enclosures; while I did spot a few bears in an off-exhibit area in the distance, there are approximately 50 bears on-display in the largest of the drive-thru habitats – it has to be seen to be believed, as it was a rather extraordinary sight! :eek: Having a large bear wander past just a few feet away was just as surreal, especially since they seemed to take little notice of the line of gawking visitors. At the time my vehicle was rolling on through, it was feeding time, so the bears were mostly busy munching on yams with surprisingly no squabbles for scraps. In another part of the habitat, bears were spending the day cooling off either standing by the stream or engaging in a brief tussle while swimming in their pool. This definitely marked my most memorable occasion watching this species of bear, and the fact that I was in an area that practically blended in with a natural backdrop that seemingly never ended only added to the engagement of the experience.

Overall: Not only would I consider Bear Country USA a high recommendation to visit, but I’d potentially go as far as say it’s kind of underrated. In addition to the outstanding drive-thru area that serves as the crown highlight, the Park also offers a walk-through section that is almost as engaging, a breathtaking attention to detail and presentation, and a nice bit of amenities on offer for guests. If one has an interest in seeing native fauna in something very close to their natural environment, enjoys taking nature photos, or just likes the thrill of driving within arm’s reach of animals, this facility will definitely fit the bill. I’m certainly glad to have visited, and would be happy to revisit again at some point.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks very much for your informative review. I visited Bear Country USA on my 2014 road trip and you certainly liked it better than I did. I'm not a big fan of drive-through facilities and I spent 45 minutes driving around and then another 45 minutes in the walking area. Of the exhibits in the walking zone, I wrote: "All are in enclosures that feature Fred Flintstone mock-rock in the background and manicured, fairly plain grassy yards". Hopefully things have changed. ;)

The park does have some extraordinary sights. I also saw close to 50 black bears in the drive-through section, and at the time the zoo apparently had almost 90 black bears in total. I think that the park pulls all the baby cubs and hand rears them, which keeps up a solid display of cute cubs for a non-endangered species and so that is slightly controversial.

Reptile Gardens is literally just down the same road and that's a bonus. Two zoological facilities practically right next door to each other!

3. Milwaukee Man

@snowleopard Thanks a lot! Yes, I initially had the same thoughts regarding the bear cubs. But after hearing the keepers, it also makes sense when it comes to the solitary nature of bears and how there's already the large number of them to begin with. Plus, at the very least, the cubs are still engaging with each other to learn natural behavior for when they're either sent to another facility or released into the main drive-thru habitat. Based on your photos and compared to my visit, the javelinas and the "Discovery Den" appear to be the only changes.

snowleopard likes this.
  4. Milwaukee Man

Okay, I didn't expect it to take this long! Hey, Zoochatters got personal lives too. :p

At long last, here's Part 2 of my wild adventures in South Dakota. Keep in mind this is from September of last year, so some things may have/already been changed.

Review of Reptile Gardens

https://www.reptilegardens.com

This almost exclusively reptile zoological establishment is found in Rapid City, South Dakota – in fact, it is just down the road from Bear Country USA! A reptile enthusiast was responsible for the birth of this facility in 1937, and, after a slow start, quickly gained momentum for the next nearly 30 years. Business moved to its current location in 1965, with the biggest draw being the large Sky Dome. At the time, this was among the first to allow guests to walk alongside birds and reptiles freely roaming a jungle environment. Despite enduring hardships like floods and a fire that destroyed the dome in 1976, the Park has continued to grow; not only has it broadened its horizons into botany and great hospitality services, but it also grew into the largest reptile collection on the planet. Reptile Gardens currently houses more than 225 species, the majority of which being the cold-blooded critters.

One of the most often mentioned aspects with this facility is that there are a good number of animals on display that are notable rarities. Because some are either found only at this South Dakota attraction (like the rough-scaled python), or at very few additional facilities (Australian brown snake for instance), I managed to knock out a nice number of “firsts” in my lifetime, and in just one location! :) Beyond that, there are some other features that make this Park an overall decent few-hour tour.

Animal Exhibit Complexes

Sky Dome – There are three parts to what is the centerpiece and easily the most iconic part of the establishment. Up first is the walkthrough rainforest that takes up the center of the dome; visitors briefly go past species such as the perentie monitor before being engulfed by tropical greenery. Although smaller and not as extensive as those that came afterwards like Omaha or Denver, it is still a pleasant experience that comes with its own unique features. For example, birds such as black-hooded parakeet (a first for me) are mostly limited to their own perching areas rather than free-flying around. Instead, that role goes to the reptiles – I was pleasantly surprised to find little lizards such as Australian water dragon and even a veiled chameleon scampering across the forest floor or inching along the branches. Normally those creatures would be seen behind glass, but here there are no limitations or anything stopping them from getting up close to guests. I also liked how the side exhibits are more nestled in with the scenery. There’s a woodchip-filled pen for a variety of tortoises and turtles (three-toed box and ornate box turtles; and Russian, red-footed, and Burmese mountain tortoise to be precise), a rocky pool for more turtles like mata mata, and even a boa constrictor on a branch of its own (as neat as this looks, I do feel the snake was quite limited both in opportunity and privacy from guests).

Up next is the highlight of the building; going up the stairs are several terrariums for tons of lizards and snakes of all sizes. For the most part, these are quite well done, as they are packed with natural elements like wood chips, branches, plants, and even the occasional water feature. They start in a typical presentation with some smaller exhibits grouped together, with the random larger one. There are even a couple mixed-species enclosures thrown in here and there. As one makes their way towards the back of the loop though, the terrariums get larger and more varied, with some larger and more well-known species. It’s a neat build-up, considering that a few of these animals are quite rare, such as the rough-scaled python, inland taipan, and Australian brown snake. The second-floor loop also has the benefit of providing some canopy views of the jungle one may have just walked through. The only comment I’d have regarding this area is the glare that comes with viewing the terrariums. With the direct sunlight beaming through, it makes trying to look at the many interesting reptiles or getting photos quite difficult. Aside from the three previously mentioned snakes, others on display include: Samar cobra, boomslang, shingleback lizard, king cobra, mambas (both black and green), Mojave rattlesnake, Komodo dragon (juvenile), Mexican west coast rattlesnake, tree monitors (black, green, and blue all sharing a large terrarium), gaboon viper, and anaconda.

Lastly, there is another treasure trove of mainly reptiles in a curving hallway on the first floor. To begin with, most of the larger reptile species can be found here, mainly consisting of crocodilians in exhibits that range from average to small in size for their inhabitants. These enclosures are for the most part more artificial in appearance with a turf substrate and shallow pools, with the occasional natural elements. The most intriguing feature would have to be the murals as almost all of them are photos of realistic backgrounds, like the jungles for some of the tropical crocodile species, a Florida golf course for American alligator, and a wooden décor with Aussie designs for the saltwater croc. One final note regarding these is a trio of the species (specifically Cuban crocodile, saltwater crocodile, and Komodo dragon) have access to the outdoors; however, these are simply grassy chain-link yards for the former two, and the latter has a smaller, rocky enclosure that was empty on my visit. Some of the large species consist of Cuban crocodile, Chinese alligator, saltwater crocodile (Maniac, one of the largest recorded specimens), Johnston’s crocodile, Komodo dragon, American crocodile, and American alligator. At the beginning and end of the hall, several smaller animals make their home in terrariums embedded into the walls. While the inverts and amphibians (like types of dart frogs) have fairly roomy and nicely detailed homes on the whole, the additional venomous snakes have exhibits that are not as successful compared to those on the upper floor. Invertebrate species consist of blue death feigning beetle, cockroaches (hissing and American), Mexican red knee tarantula, and more; while the snakes include copperhead, elephant trunk snake, saw-scaled viper, caatinga lancehead, common cantil, jumping viper, among others.

Tortuga Falls – This is for the most part a shaded and lovely botanical garden. The centerpiece is a pond that has a little stream spilling water into it. A bridge can be crossed at this point as well, adding to the tranquil setting; it’s certainly the prettiest part of the Park. It isn’t completely devoid of animal life however; in the ponds, koi fish swim about, while turtles sit on rocks and logs, basking in the sunlight. The main animal attraction here is “Darwin,” a kookaburra known for his iconic laughing call. He and his companion reside in a tiny cage that would benefit from additional branches and other features to keep them busy.

Bald Eagle Habitat – Cheyenne is the name of the rescued eagle on display, and her story is featured on a sign next to the viewing area. She resides in an aviary that is overall average in both size and quality. A glass window and mesh viewing look into an exhibit that has grass, a few low perches, and, most unique of all, a back wall that is designed like an adobe. I found it to be not just an interesting design element, but a neat feature to add to both height and enrichment for the eagle as well.

Giant Tortoise Area – This is in my opinion the strongest section that Reptile Gardens has to offer. The primary feature is a good-sized and fairly well vegetated habitat for Aldabra tortoises, which can also be seen in their decent-sized indoor room. However, the gigantic reptiles were roaming and grazing under the sun on my visit. The best part is that this enclosure is a walkthrough, allowing guests to get up-close and walk among the tortoises. The Aldabras are not the only inhabitants of this complex; there are a few additional species that have separate grassy enclosures as well, all of which are also spacious with shade structures and pools. Species include: Galapagos, African spurred, red-footed, and I believe one more species that I don’t recall.

Prairie Dog Town – A good-sized habitat for the “North American meerkats” that is situated in the back portion of the property. Visitors can go completely around the exhibit, getting an unobstructed view all the way. The little rodents have a huge amount of sand and dirt to dig and bury in, large branches, and even a few props that add to the effect like a broken-down wooden wagon. The surrounding signage pertaining to the prairie dog’s social behavior is a nice touch, but the premier feature is a pop-up bubble in the middle of the habitat. It was fun to be in the center of both the exhibit and the antics of these little animals! :D

Avian Avenue – As the bird presentations only run until Labor Day, this area was completely shut down for the season by the time of my visit. I was, however, able to walk around the arena and stations where the birds are generally put on-show with their trainers. From what I recall, there were several set up for specific types of birds, like a series of climbing frames catered to parrots and macaws, while a few grounded perches with tethers are for birds of prey. In addition, scattered around the arena are several education boards and signs for guests, from a wingspan chart to a station where one may compare their height to ratites. I never saw any in this area, but according to the website there are birds like macaws (scarlet and blue-and-gold), African gray parrot, king vulture, barn owl, and domestic chickens. Despite its closure at that point, I could see how this would be a fun and engaging experience.

Gators & Crocs Arena – Just like with Avian Avenue above, shows only run until Labor Day, meaning that none were running. The difference here though is that the residents (or performers in this case), consisting of many American alligators, caimans, and crocodiles are still on show. No signage was around, so unfortunately, I was unable to identify what exactly the latter two species were. The stage is fronted by glass windows allowing for some great close-ups, while the stage itself is fairly roomy, consisting of a couple turf land areas, one of which is an island surrounded by water. It was quite fascinating viewing many crocodilians in one area, and I can only imagine how chaotic and action-packed it is when a show is in session!

Visitor Experiences

Well, the name of this attraction is Reptile Gardens, and it certainly shows when it comes to the latter! There are botanical gardens scattered throughout the grounds, and they are all gorgeous. Tons of flowers, hedges, and small trees line the pathways and surround the exhibit signs in a visually pleasing style. I even noticed a couple of arrangements in the shape of crocodilians in the back of the dome. An added bonus can also be found in the form of the surrounding Black Hills; like in Bear Country USA, the backgrounds add to the stunning atmosphere while going around the facility. This is certainly one of the best-looking zoological establishments I’ve ever seen! Also, the property is very well laid out, with the outdoor complexes organized around the sides and behind the dome, and the guest path seemingly flows from one complex to the other. It’s relatively compact, but there is a lot packed in for guests to do.

Speaking of which, there are a number of non-animal attractions to take in during one’s visit. In addition to the two animal shows I previously mentioned, there is also a snake show arena near the prairie dogs. It looks like a see-through wall surrounds the stage, and the educator brings out either a large python, or demonstrates the behavior of venomous species such as cobras and rattlers. Also, directly next door, there is “Methuselah’s Playground,” a children’s play area that looks to be a bit more homemade, but still has some charming components, like a rickety bridge and crawl-through tunnel; it gets its name from a male Galapagos tortoise that once resided at the facility. Another fun area is called “Spring Creek Gulch,” with tons of activities like a gemstone mining station, a mini–Mount Rushmore photo-op, shooting galleries, and even a 3-D safari. Finally, at the end of the second-floor loop in the Sky Dome, several bits and pieces of education are thrown at guests. These include a display of reptile skeletons, minerals, and signs for captive reptile diets and prices; the main feature of this section is a skeleton of the huge prehistoric sea turtle, the Archelon. As for the amenities, these are predominantly in the main entrance building, such as a restaurant and gift shop that sells souvenirs themed around the facility, along with artifacts from Oceania and New Guinea. The entry building itself gives off a good first impression upon arrival, with its large prominent sign and high walls adorned with scale-like patterns and snake carvings.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Amongst all the reptiles I came across, the tortoises were the stand out. I had a great time walking amongst the docile Aldabras, as they grazed on the short grass or lumbered along. They sure did enjoy getting a good neck rub as well! How common are walkthrough tortoise exhibits, as I don’t seem to recall very many in the U.S.?

Overall: Reptile Gardens is an overall pleasant adventure that is a nice deviation from the standard zoo visit. Although the exhibitry is a bit mixed, there is a lot to admire, most significantly the astonishing collection of animals, some of which can’t be found elsewhere or at very few other places, and the beautifully laid out grounds. I would highly recommend a visit for those that love reptiles or wish to have a smaller scale (no pun intended :p) dose of exotic wildlife that only takes a couple hours. If I had to choose between Rapid City’s two animal attractions, I’d say Bear Country is the more successful and my personal preference. Having said that, it doesn’t take away that this collection of cold-blooded denizens is worth checking out if in the area.

According to this article, https://www.blackhillsfox.com/2022/...rdens-begins-construction-new-additions-park/, new exhibits for king vulture and kookaburras have been added, and a five-year master plan is in the works. Plans include an expansion with crocodilian ponds, new tortoise and bald eagle habitats, and a butterfly house.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you think Reptile Gardens and Bear Country could be done on the same day?

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

They can easily be seen together in one day. Both attractions open early all summer long (8:00 a.m.) and it's about a 15-minute drive between them. I know zoo nerds who have spent 2 hours at one park, driven 15 minutes, then spent 2 hours at the other facility and been done just after lunch! A whole day could be necessary if one was to sit through all the various shows and presentations.

birdsandbats likes this.