Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Snippets from Flamingo Land

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Parrotsandrew, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I thought something was up when I did not see any Tigers on the 6th. Black Rhinos were being investigated a couple of years ago.

2. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

I don't think so, they have bred at least five giraffe since 2003, quite a few lion cubs, antelope, zebra, penguins, tapir, meerkats (regrettably, for most of us, the main attraction in any zoo) and probably more that I can't recall.

Last edited: 19 May 2014
  3. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ill retract my statement my memory is rubbish. Mainly do winter visits possibly ive missed some of them if they where inside. Allways wondered about the giraffe house why they designed it with an upstairs viewing area like blackpool's just for it to be closed unless there's a talk on.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Am I right in presuming they were only proposing to keep one Rhino species, not two, and that's now going to be Indian?

5. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Judging by where the Indian rhino house is being built I would expect that they will have at least two species of rhino when it is finished (white and Indian). I have heard that black rhinos will either replace the white rhinos or be in addition.

6. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

When I was told about it the plan was for the Black Rhinos to replace the White ones.

7. woody505

visited today never seen so many keepers there, must have loads on work experience. briefly saw two tiger cubs they where hiding well in the bushes. Seems to be a severe lack of signage around the zoo no new notices to indicate they had tiger cubs or what their names where. No signs around the new rhino house of what it's going to be or any expected date of completion. In the aquarium they had new signs explaining new ones where being made, why not just leave the old ones up till there finished? Was some work being done in the aquarium looked like they where taking a tank out. Went to advertised giraffe/hippo talk at 12pm no keeper turned up that was annoying as id raced across the zoo to be there. A positive was there was a new viewing area for the lions always thought it was awkward too see them.

8. woody505

male zebra birth announced on their fb wall