Join our zoo community

Snow Leopards Not As Rare As We Think

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 31 Aug 2017.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As the original link states, several prominent big cat experts oppose this reclassification.

4. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Kiwi1

Kiwi1 Member

Its important these cases are decided using the science and criteria laid out for classification. It seems the main opponents to reclassification are more worried about political issues than scientific ones. IMO its important that we can trust classifications as real not political to prioritise what will always be scarce resources.

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Can someone expand on this please; who stands to gain from contesting re-classifications and are the IUCN red list classifications not universally accepted? I ask this because many species the IUCN list as Least Concern, might be considered threatened in the native countries - I think this is the case with some marsupials in Australia? Or am I totally missing the point? :D

7. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm also interested in the answer to this, especially the part about native countries. I know that the IUCN sometimes differentiates between subspecies and subpopulations, but I think that the cases of certain large-range species can get really confusing, like gray wolves.

On contesting re-classifications: @Kiwi1 mentioned political considerations, so I guess a lot of organizations that are working to conserve snow leopards feel that a down-listing hurts their case to donors, governments, etc. It's harder to fund programs and pursue legislation dealing with a "vulnerable" species than an "endangered" one, although other factors are also at play. So there might be a concern that a down-listing is "premature" if the benefits of very recent policies and programs are just starting to be seen, which the advocates of the down-listed species think are too fragile to deal with a down-listing so soon in the species's recovery.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  8. Kiwi1

Kiwi1 Member

Yes that kind of covers my thoughts.

I have and to a lesser extent still dowork in conservation of wild species (it is just somewhat unusually for someone in this field I like zoos and consider them to have a role to play in conservation and public advocacy).

Doing this work I was often frustrated in how resources were often prioritised due to political or cute factor rather than actual need. Often even after a species was well on the way to recovery and IMO practically could have done with less resourcing this did not occur. Accurate definition of threat level is an important part of helping over looked species increase their chances of recognition.

Science isn't perfect but in a lot of these cases is the best we have. I trust it more than politics or lobby groups.

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member