Join our zoo community

So How About the Weather....

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by JBZvolunteer, 28 Jan 2013.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was about 70 degrees Fahrenheit on Christmas... Then it's been in the 50's yesterday and today. I've been going out in shorts!

And no snow to be seen.

~Thylo:cool:

2. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We are having it very mild, but cloudy and not a lot of rain compared to the west coast and especially Cumbria. A lot of things are still blooming as we haven't had any frost and the earliest daffodils I know are flowering 2 months earlier than usual.

I don't know if it is just temperature or soil moisture as well. We had a very dry year over all, and one of the ponds I know dried out a lot this summer but some of the plants that usually bloom in July are flowering now as the pond has refilled.

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

We have had a lot of rain during the past week or so, probably the lead up to getting hammered with snow. There is water going over most of the top of my friendly neighborhood beaver dam. Northeastern CT often won't freeze up for real until after New Years.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

It's been quite warm over here - about 29ºC every day - and humidity ranging from 80-100%.

:p

Hix

5. wensleydale

It finally snowed yesterday. Now we have black ice.

Monday I was at work and overheard people saying that they had gone to church on Christmas Eve in sleeveless outfits, that the priest had remarked that it was the first time they had used the air conditioner on Christmas Eve, etc.

6. ThylacineAlive

Monday night it didn't exactly snow but instead small clumps of ice fell from the sky and are now covering everything:):):):):)

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am currently in Phoenix for a training class and a surprisingly high percentage of participants moved here from Alaska. One gal said today that growing up in Fairbanks their summer high was in the 80's F, but now it is sometimes reaching 100F in summer. Tell that to people who still don't believe in global warming.

8. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

We had very high (40C) temps in Melbourne for Christmas, followed by a couple cool days (20C) and yesterday was back up at 40C. It has been a hot and dry summer so far, and we still have two months to go!!

9. wensleydale

Melbourne isn't far from Antarctica, is it? What is it like during the winter? Does it ever snow? Or is it milder?

10. nanoboy

There is no major land mass between Melbourne and Antarctica (let's neglect the island of Tasmania), but it is quite far - maybe four or five thousand kilometres away.

Winters in the city are mild - about 2C at night and 15C during the day. It never snows in the city, but the surrounding hills get the occasional dusting of snow (above 500m), and the mountains a couple hours away are covered in snow for 3 months of the year.

11. wensleydale

That's interesting, bear in mind though that you are a darned sight closer to Antarctica (I heard you have penguins!) than most of us. I know you aren't right up against it, but I know that you are closer and that there are some temperate areas in the Southern Hemisphere so I thought it was worth asking. Are the mountains perhaps where one might need a snowblower? Because I was reading a snowblower manual once and it had warranty information for Australia and New Zealand (NZ I can understand) in it.

12. nanoboy

Yes, I can see snowblowers being used on the mountains during winter at ski resorts, but note that in a good year we may only get a paltry 5ft of snow at the highest resorts. :(

Last week we had a 44C day. I was outside for about 10mins and my skin got burnt to a crisp. A very strong cool change blew through, and the next day the maximum was just 18C!! That's 26 degrees in less than 24hrs. Today is supposed to tip 36C.

13. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yesterday we had a good 1 inch and on Saturday we're supposed to be "slammed" with 6 inches of snow. A day before I go to Florida:p

14. ThylacineAlive

I went to Florida for the New Year and when I left it was hanging around 60-70 degrees up here. A few days later I came home and it was 9 degrees!:eek:

Also interesting to mention that it was between 60-80 degrees down to Florida.

15. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

It's been quite cold in Warsaw recently, it got down to -16 C a few days ago (3.2 F) and in the last three or four weeks the warmest it has been at any point is around 2 C. There has been quite a lot of snow too, and I don't think there has been any point in the last two weeks where there wasn't snow on the ground.
    This seems quite cold to me, but apparently this is normal for a Polish winter! :eek: (last year was my first winter living outside of the tropics, and apparently it was particularly mild).

Looking forward to slightly warmer weather in Kenya in three weeks time, though... :p

16. wensleydale

Yes, we are supposed to get a Noreaster on Friday. I am told that it is early enough to pray that it doesn't hit us, but I am mentally (soon to be written down) making a list of things that I need to do to make the event marginally more comfortable (okay actually I love snow).

I'll have to sift through my summer photos in case someone wants before and after photos this year.

17. nanoboy

Sounds like all you northern hemishperers are having a late but cold and snowy winter. Nice!!

Yes, be sure to take and post before and after snow pics!

18. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So it snowed about 18-24 inches today....
    All the snow caused a major delay for my trip to Florida. We were supposed to fly out at 8 am tommorow and now we're flying out 6:39 pm.
    Thanks a lot Jack Frost!!!

19. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mid winter and it is 80F here in Tucson today! :p

20. wensleydale

8 A.M.: Wake up. Cloudy sky, no snow. What?

10:30 A.M.: Still no snow. Thought it would have started by now. Sit there in a huff. All that work to get ready and no snow.

Roughly 12:30 P.M.: After hearing remark that there is nothing impressive on the radar goes and looks at radar. Sees snow. Thinks "what gives?' As if on cue flakes start falling out of the sky.