Join our zoo community

So Now YOU Run The Zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Zooplantman, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

This thread grows out of the many posts on ZooChat about how you would do things differently.

Except this thread is intended to be interactive... if you play, you will pose as the director of a real zoo. You may announce changes to exhibits, relocation of animals, new exhibits being built.

Other ZooChat members may respond with real-world situations for you: "the boilers in the Jungle building have failed and the repair/replacement will cost $500,000...where are you getting that from?" or "A keeper has broken the rules and, in attempting to hand feed a polar bear, has lost a hand. How do you respond?"

In the role of Zoo Director, you will try to respond to the situation that has come up . You may well be asked what effect this has on your other plans.

If you stray too far from accepted reality, other ZooChat members are invited to call you on it. Such as, "How are you going to raise $50miilion in two moinths while your attendance has dropped and a new museum is being built in your city with philanthropic donations?"

I'd ask other ZooChat members to think of real events to pose as challenges and not simply attempt to overwhelm or murder our Fantasy Zoo Director. Let's see what else there is to running a zoo.

Any takers?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

This sounds like an interesting and fun idea! I'll let others start and then once I get a feel for the game I may join in as a fantasy director.

~Thylo:cool:

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea! Real world scenarios that most never think about.

4. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member

Great idea! when will you post the first scenario?

5. Zooplantman

What I imagined was that YOU would post your own scenario ("I am the Director of the Chester Zoo and to begin with, I am having the Lion exhibit razed....")
    And then ZooChat would make things interesting for you. :D

6. ThylacineAlive

He is not the one who's going to post the scenarios, when someone makes themself the "director" of a zoo and starts changing things then anyone can post a scenario for them.

7. epickoala123

Ohhhh, Ok

(ten letter rule)

8. Zooplantman

So..... Edinburgh Zoo! GO! :p

9. Zooplantman

Now I will admit that it will take some bravery to play this game. Like a real zoo director, there is always a chance of complete failure. But that's what makes it worth doing!

10. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

So, who starts? :D

This sounds fun!

11. ThylacineAlive

Okay, you know what, I'll first and see how it goes.

Well for those of you who know me will find it's no surprise that I'm going to make myself the "director" of the great Bronx Zoo in New York. Okay well there isn't much that I'd change to this zoo but I'm going to work on African Plains.

The first thing I'll do here is bring back Lesser Kudu (Ammelaphus imberbis) and add East African Crowned Crane (Balearica regulorum gibbericeps) to the Thompson's Gazelle (Eudorcas thomsonii) exhibit- of course making sure the kudu can't escape this time.

I have other things I'd do to African Plains but I'm not sure if I'm just suppose to do this one enclosure at a time or do the whole exhibit so I'm just going to start with this for now. Okay, hit me!

12. Zooplantman

Good job! Welcome to the Bronx Zoo!
    Whether you make one change at a time or lots all together is your call. You're the Director.

What are you going to do about the closed World of Darkness?

And I was reading today in a thread about the Rodriguez Fruit Bats that some people object to having them in JungleWorld. Your thoughts, Director?

13. filipinos

Well, Lesser Kudu (Ammelaphus imberbis) is not available right now, but the San Diego Safari Park has a Cape Buffalo group of 2.8, available to be sent to you, wich would need a bigger exhibit. What do you do?

- - -

Is this suposed to mix real and fake facts?

Last edited: 15 Apr 2013
  14. ThylacineAlive

I'm new so I'm going to decide to deal with World of Darkness at a later date and focus on the now-closed Monkey House first but only after I finish with African Plains (so stay tuned!:D)

I was reading that same thread yesterday re:Rodriguez Fruit Bats. I will move the Rodriguez Fruit Bats out of JungleWorld but will not yet announce where they'll be going (I know what I'm going to do but am not ready to announce it to the public). I then move the Indian Flying Fox out of the Javan Langur exhibit and put them in the main rainforest room where the Rodriguez Flying Fox used to be.

Well then I'll bring in the cranes for now and wait for some kudu to become available. I won't take the whole herd of Cape Buffalo (Syncerus caffer caffer) but only 1.3 for now and put them in the old Arabian Oryx exhibit after I renovate it a bit to make it buffalo proof and clean it up a bit. I originally had different plans for this space but this change works out for the better. So you all know what enclosure I'm talking about here's a picture: http://www.zoochat.com/547/empty-exhibit-308829/

It has to be real as in San Diego has Cape Buffalo but fake as in they're getting rid of the buffalo.

15. epickoala123

can more than one person be director at one time?

16. filipinos

That´s a nicely sized exhibit, Director, but the WCS doesn´t have enough money right now to renovate the entire exhibit for Cape Buffalos! Maybe we can make something to get money until they arrive?

17. ThylacineAlive

The most expensive part would be building the enclosure barriers (which is pretty much all there really is to do as the night holding and such is still there from when the oryx were here). To raise money for this and the other new changes to come for African Plains the zoo will hold a fundraiser where we will offer free merchandise for those who donate the most money and even a free visit for the person who donates the most!

18. filipinos

Very Nice! The zoo is envolving in a very nice way and has a great future, thanks to you director! I sure hope there´s enough money from the fundraiser to do some minor edits and paint other exhibits!

19. epickoala123

according to thylo and filipinos in chat, more than one person can go at once.
    I was going to go for lake district wildlife park, but very few members have been there or even heard of the place, so I'm going for edinburgh zoo.

My first change is quite an obvious one.
    I would start with moving the margays to the big cats row, and so putting in more plants and places to hide in the exhibit.

20. ThylacineAlive

With a new crowned crane pair in with the Thompson's Gazelles and Cape Buffalo and Lesser Kudu on the way, I'm going to start working on the rest of African Plains.

In the Lowland Nyala (Tragelaphus angasii) exhibit I'm going to bring back 1.2 Marabou Storks (Leptoptilos crumenifer). Also, I'm going to phase-out the Spotted Hyena siblings and add 1.1 Servals (Leptailurus serval) or Caracal (Caracal caracal caracal) depending on what's available. No new work would need to be done on either exhibits.

*By the way, the crowned cranes are 1.1 and the kudu are 1.2