Join our zoo community

So Now YOU Run The Zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Zooplantman, 15 Apr 2013.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

Mayyyyyyyyyyyyybe. :D

The community has toned down a bit. They are more open to your ideas.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I think we have three different zoos under discussion here. It is important to note that each functions in very different ways and the director of each has a rather different level of authority compared to the others (that's part of what makes this exercise challenging).

The National Zoo is part of the Smithsonian and is therefore a cog in the mighty machine of Smithsonian institutions and dependent entirely on Federal funding. Furthermore, as it is located in Rock Creek Park (an Olmstead park) there are real restrictions from the Park authorities on what can be done. In short, the director of the National Zoo has lots of constraints to deal with and can be stopped in his or her tracks at any time by other authorities.

Bergen County zoo is part of a county parks department. The head of the Parks Department could easily veto anything the Director proposes, so that Department's support is critical for any changes or growth. Funds are very limited. Also, it is a local zoo and voters' concerns or neighbors' concerns would have a great impact on decisions.

Brookfield Zoo is the biggest manifestation of the Chicago Zoological Society and is private. The director has much more leeway to make decisions than the two other zoos discussed, but is more sensitive to local communities (than the director of the National Zoo needs to be) whose objections would make for rather bad p.r. Funding is entirely different from that of the two other zoos.

On another note: Master Plans are not created to be secret. While the actual document might not be released to the press or the public, the larger plan is always cause for a press and fundraising campaign. It is less about how a animal enclosure will be slightly reconfigured and more about how the zoo will develop in bigger ways (where restaurants or new parking will be, what major exhibits will go where, what the vision for the Education Department will be, etc.) A Master Plan is a tool with several uses and in small communities (like Bergen County) must involve the neighbors and the larger community from start to finish if it is to be worth anything.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  3. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

Who wants to be my department?

*Sigh* I really wish they were more. It's quite sad that they are the most endangered Tapir species yet have the least conservation. If only San Fransico or Cheyenne Mountian had breeding programs . They are a Beuatiful species that needs more conservation. Maybe the Tapir TAG needs an angry letter written to them! :mad::p

4. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

LA has mountain tapirs as well. I agree that all 5 species should have better programs. I say this as tapirs are my favorite animal which I'm sure you can get from my name;)

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

The entire US population of mountain tapirs is only 5.2. That on its own is not enough to be a sustainable population, never mind the fact that they are very closely related if not inbred. The global captive population isn't much bigger. Founders aren't available and rather than spend money to try and alleviate that issue, it would be best to funnel money into in situ conservation. By the way, San Francisco doesn't have the species and hasn't for years. I assure you that your "angry letter" would have no impact whatsoever on the TAG's decision.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Remember, Director, that the TAG is a committee of the AZA and you are a member of that organization. It would be far more professional -- if you don't understand or agree with the TAG decisions -- to call the head of the TAG and discuss it with him or her rather than acting like a peeved MacDonald's consumer complaining about the elimination of Happy Meals. Decisions get made in a context for reasons. You may disagree but you do have a role to play, as a professional.

7. DragonDust101

You made it an option, I will do it. I as director would like to call the TAG for Tapirs (Ungulate TAG) and discuss with them acquiring a pair of Mountain Tapirs, wether form a zoo or from imports or a South American Institution. I give an argument for why I want to acquire them. The reasons would be-
    Conservation (They are the most endangered Tapir species)
    Reasearch (Not much is known about the species and a zoo is a good environment for them to be observed in)
    Education ( They are a very educational representative of Andean Yungas animals.)

I also am putting out a donation box near the zoo's current Baird's Tapir exhibit and a Docent who will talk about the Tapir group and how they need conservation.

I also put out on the AZA Animal Exchange that I'd like a Breeding Pair of Mountain Tapir.

((By The way, I meant writing a letter to the TAG in real life, but now I see that it probably wouldn't help.) Oh well. Maybe I will.)

8. DragonDust101

You are right. Yet I see no programs for them for In-Situ conservation.

9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

It would look good for your zoo to start one, then, would it not?

10. DragonDust101

Yes. That's why I'm doing it. Read my first post. Though that may no be enough, huh? I want to focus on getting the zoo renovated(before expansion) before I start creating national parks. This is the county's money I'm using. Yet may the donation boxes open and be filled.

Perhaps the zoo will donate to fund Mountian Tapir captive reasearch.

11. DragonDust101

Scratch that, outside reasearch.

12. DragonDust101

Bergen County Zoo has finally opened the first phase of the Soujth Americana exhibits, the Llanos Grassland exhibit. There is a promotional campaign going on, and attendance spikes. The exhibit has the Guanaco and Rhea in it, plus new exhibits for Geoffrey's Cat, Maned Wolf, and Capybara have moved in with the Guanaco and Rhea.

13. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member

I would like to be the new director of London's ZSL zoo.

My first job would be to close the into African section until I can decide what to do with it.

Then I would add 3.3 white-headed buffalo weaver in the Gorilla kingdom aviary. And would bring a pair of African crakes in and house them BS temporarily.

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

If you could add to the ZSL's exisitng architectural wonders: Casson Pavilion, Snowdon Aviary, Lubetkin Penguin Pool etc. what would be the basic design of it and what species would it accomodate?

Architecture at ZSL London Zoo, Regent's Park

Last edited: 3 Apr 2017
  15. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member

After discussions with our bird staff, we decided to move our new African crake pair to the bird safari. As the species is small, they will keep a close eye on them to make sure they are okay. An aviary containing Blue throated macaws has been emptied. They have been replaced with golden-naped macaws (2.2) and tropical mockingbirds (0.0.5) .

The pair of blue-throated macaws are now available. We have check with the birds staff and the studbook manager and both parties are happy to let one pair go.

I wouldn't like to build something brand new just now, as I'm new qt running the zoo and am considering what to add (or remove) from the zoo.

16. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member

How about some North Island Brown Kiwi @Dylan? Could make for a good nocturnal house.

17. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member

We aren't considering it at the moment.

However the two male zebras are going to Whipsnade with all the painted dogs. The giraffes are going into the same exhibit as the remaining female zebras as an experiment. The pygmy hippo house is the only part of Into Africa that is open.

We are currently rounding up all the birds in the Snowdon Aviary to start work on the Colobus monkey walkway. The birds are being dispersed throughout the zoo. Most are off-show but some are in spare Bird of prey aviaries or in Bird Safari. Though bird staff are sad to see this aviary empty, some plans will bring birds back to this aviary.

18. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member

All our Snowdon aviary has now been emptied. We are now renovating the exhibit to deal with duikers and monkeys which includes a closed walk-through to stop people harming the monkeys or vice versa. The muntjacs have also left us and fea's muntjac have replaced them.

2.5 Superb fairy wrens have be moved into an off-show aviary and 2.1 African jacanas have been moved into the Bird safari. 0.2 Black-faced ibis have been moved off-show to prepare to renovate it into an Australian aviary for the superb fairy wrens and some future species.

19. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I'm going to have a go at this game with Toronto Zoo.

You announce plans to renovate Canadian Domain and Indomalaya heavily. First, the lynx and cougar exhibits will receive large naturalistic pens which incorporate the surrounding forests into them, the bison enclosure will become a mixed enclosure for whitetail deer, elk, and pronghorn, and the big empty enclosure which holds surplus bison will become home to other exhibits for canadian species (which you plan on transferring from the Americas Pavilion).

Indomalaya will also receive upgrades, namely that more natural substrate will be added to the orangutan exhibit until they get an outdoor enclosure, as well as turning the former guar exhibit into a walkthrough exhibit for the australian fauna once they are consolidated over to Indomalaya.

You also announce plans to create several programs that assist in improving other Ontario and other Canadian zoos.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2018
  20. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member

But isn’t the former Gaur exhibit the site of the outdoor Orangutan exhibit?

Yi Qi likes this.