Join our zoo community

So Now YOU Run The Zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Zooplantman, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

You decide to buy some extra land next to the future outdoor orangutan exhibit to create a new Australian Plains section near the future Zip Line. The site is around 500 square meters and will be home to the zoo's kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, and emus, as well as adding cassowaries and dingoes to the zoo's collection.

2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

You decide against placing the new australian forest exhibit near the zipline after deliberating with the staff; instead you choose to create it directly beside the orangutan exhibit to save on space. You also announce plans to raise funds for improving the zoo's infrastructure.

3. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

You once again change your mind about the Indomalayan section. This time, you plan on placing the australian forest section where the sumatran tigers are and move them to a new exhibit across from Orangutan Forest. You also decide on the following:

- Have the monorail in Canadian Domain finally taken down
    - Strike a deal with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to hold several orphaned whitetail deer in the large enclosure.
    - Replant the african savannah paddocks.

4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

OK, i'm going to start over again, this time with African Lion Safari.

Folowing my inauguration as zoo director, I begin brainstorming a master plan for the zoo. I decide to set a budget of $40,500,000 for it as well as to enhance the park's infrastructure and amnesties.

I also announce three other things:
    • I will discontinue the elephant rides next year as I oppose them, and hopefully increase goodwill among animal rights activists.
    • I plan on trying to get rid of or at least reduce the fallow deer, as I feel like there are too much of them in the Americas Reserve.

5. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member

I shall also have a crack at this, with me becoming the Director of my local zoo - Bristol Zoo!

My first decision will be to overhaul the entrance, converting part of the gift shop and the Drill and Flamingo enclosures into a brand new entrance and an immersive walk-through Lemur enclosure (accessed immediately from the entrance), featuring Crowned Sifaka, Blue-Eyed Black Lemurs and a much reduced group of Ring-Tailed Lemurs.The entrance to this exhibit will be flanked by glass fronted exhibits for the Madagascan Hissing Cockroach and the Madagascan Stick Insect, Achrioptera fallax. Upon leaving the walkthrough, there will be a separate enclosure for the Fossa.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2018
    Jambo likes this.
  6. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I announce our Master Plan in a press conference, which is as detailed below.

2019-2020
    • A new restaurant
    • The conversion of Nairobi Sanctuary to a South American Reserve known as Pantanal Flats, which will be home to guanacos, rheas, peccaries, capybaras, and jabiru storks, as well as the flamingos.
      • All other animals will be moved to Rocky Ridge Veldt.
    • Turning the Americas into a canadian reserve, bringing whitetail deer, woodland caribou, and sandhill cranes.
    • Moving the red river hogs to Wankie Bushland Trail
    2020-2022
    • The conversion of Timbavati Lion Country to a rotating reserve for spotted hyenas, cheetah, and african wild dogs known as Duma Predator Country.
    • Expanding the Cheetah Breeding Compound to facilitate wild dog breeding.
    • More hoofstock for Rocky Ridge Veldt, such as black rhinos. You also plan on taking the marabou storks here.
    • New aviaries in the Birds of Prey Conservation Centre, complete with several walkthrough aviaries.
    • A new Australian region between BOPCC and Tusker Trail for the kangaroos and avifauna.
    • Tusker Trail gaining a new Indian-themed refurbishment, such as new exhibits for Indian fauna.
    In advance for Duma Predator Country, you start soliciting other zoos in the area to see if any of them want the white lions, such as Greenview Aviaries, Brantford Twin Valley, and Jungle Cat World once you phase them out.

Jambo likes this.
  7. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

This sounds like fun. I might be doing something wrong here, but I am going to take the helm of my local zoo, the Turtleback Zoo.

First things first, buy a whole bunch of land. Much of the area around the zoo is quite barren forest, and that could be used for upgrading the animal exhibits.

I'd move the grey fox off exhibit temporarily, and convert its exhibit for a local snake species (black racer maybe?)

Huge renovations would be planned, with upgrades to all the exhibits. Of course, this would take a chunk out of our budget with only a small amount remaining, so it's going to be a while until we can do something again.

The renovations would mainly focus on the exhibits that seem the most dated, such as the aviaries in Wild New Jersey, expanding the sea lion pool and aquarium, and of course, the controversial African predators exhibit.

Let's start off with the zoo entrance (the main one).

As you walk in, you notice by the komodo dragon statue, a large koi pond with a waterfall going into it. (The koi and goldfish used to be outside the reptile house)

The pond takes up a good chunk of empty space and has enough area for the goldfish and koi inside of it. With the koi pond removed, more space can be added to the reptile house.

Speaking of the reptile house, it has been completely overhauled. The exhibits were modernized and expanded, and the inverts and rodents were moved out to focus only on reptiles and amphibians.

(more coming later)

Last edited: 30 Oct 2018
  8. Ebirah766

Aight, let us go in depth with the reptile house. As you walk in, you notice that there is much larger exhibits than there used to be. The Komodo dragon now has outdoor access to a seasonal outdoor enclosure, and the indoor exhibit was expanded tremendously, taking up the space from the invert exhibits. The komodo dragon's neighbors (the finches) were moved out to a small aviary enclosure in Amazing Asia, but we'll get to that later.

The other exhibits are tremendously larger, with the animals being able to move around alot. Not a big improvement, as the animals already had nice enclosures, but it is a welcome one.

The other 2 large exhibits (the tortoise and the reticulated python exhibits) were also overhauled. The tortoises are now the lone animal in their exhibit, with the others being moved to a different section of the zoo. So, the exhibit is now wholly fitted to the tortoises's needs, with a pool, basking spot, food scattered all over the place, etc. This exhibit was also expanded slightly to make room for more tortoise amenities.

The retic exhibit was made more like an Indonesian rainforest, with the bathing pool remaining in place and some stuff added on.

you'll see more later bye

9. Ebirah766

Sorry about the abrupt end, lads. Anyway, the reticulated python's exhibit now includes a cave to sleep in and a basking area. There are also many areas for the python to hide, so when it feels like it's being watched, it can hide.

The other smaller terrariums scattered around the reptile house have either been moved to different areas of the house or simply upgraded.

Aight, we're done with the reptile house. Let's go left, towards the American section.

The box turtle exhibit has been upgraded to a larger size, over 4x the size in fact. There is now 2 box turtles who reside here in this in-the-wall exhibit. A new area had to be built for these lads.

The prairie dog exhibit has been K N O C K E D D O W N. Yeeep. They've been moved up the exhibit. The former flower garden area which kept visitors cool in the summer has been renovated for the prairie dogs. In the doggo's former spot, these are now where these flowers are.

Later, I will post another update concerning the American and Australian zones of the zoo. Y E E T

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Why is a new entrance the zoo's priority?

11. Zooplantman

Isn't Turtleback owned and managed by the county? Isn't that forest county park land? How do you, as director, do all of this without convincing the county parks people that this is a priority.
    And where is all of your funding coming from?
    And how do you plan to generate the needed funding to operate the expanded zoo?

12. Ebirah766

Alright. So, I am not used to sudden blows of reality.

Let's start with the forest thing.

The zoo could bring in a large amount of revenue for the county if properly expanded. Hopefully, this will convince the county parks that the zoo is a priority.

Funding is basically county grants. Staten Island Zoo used it to renovate their aquarium, so why can't we? If not, we can do fundraisers.

Yeah, the zoo might be sort of a downward spiral for a while in costs. Hopefully, more people coming in and lots of new amenities could help the zoo recover. It would take a while to build anything else, as I acknowledged.

I wanted to walk people through my planned renovations. I just started with the entrance, that's all.

13. Zooplantman

Do you think you'd hold on to your job during such a downward spiral?

And what do you do about the public opposition to your plans?
    https://www.change.org/p/kate-hartwyk-no-turtle-back-zoo-expansion

My question about the entrance was in reply to @CDavies98)

14. Ebirah766

Holding onto my job would definitely be a difficult thing. However, I might just be able to hold on if the zoo improves in attendance thanks to the upgraded exhibits.

Public opposition, yeah that's a tough one. But, every zoo has opposition, and this one might be bigger, but we could push through in the name of conservation.

(oof I thought you asked me about the entrance)

15. Zooplantman

So if I understand the situation clearly:
    Faced with community opposition, the need to convince hesitant politicians to spend a great deal of tax-payers' money, and an expansion plan so ambitious that it will cripple the zoo for awhile...
    Having no audience research to determine whether the region can support yet another large zoo (after all the community could easily go to the Bronx Zoo or Philadelphia Zoo or even Bergen County Zoo)...
    Recognizing that as director it may be difficult to hold on to your job....
    You don't think you should reconsider your plans?

16. Ebirah766

maybe I should reconsider... I'll take some time to think about it.

17. CDavies98

Initially, I just started with the entrance as a bigger set of plans, but didn't carry on due to the lack of activity on this thread..but in response to your scepticism I say:

The entrance to the zoo at the moment is somewhat unspectacular - it's not bad but there are no big draws as soon as you go in to wow the visitors. The current Drill enclosure is uninspired and so out of the way that it doesn't get much exposure and isn't really necessary. the flamingo enclosure isn't terrible but the birds could be housed elsewhere in the zoo and it wouldn't make much difference. Overhauling the entrance will give the zoo a new lease of life, making one of the oldest zoos in the UK seem modern with new decor, and introducing some new species that aren't held in a massive number of UK zoos (Fossa and Sifaka), which will create a lasting first impression on guests who enter. The entrance will also be expanded so that the entry of more people can be accommodated easily to reduce queuing which can be an issue in the summer months.

I will definitely be posting more of my plans now the resident Devil's advocate is back to make things interesting again. Thanks @Zooplantman!

18. Zooplantman

My pleasure

So your plans are for an exhibit after one enters the zoo and not for a new entrance to the zoo? (ticketing area, bathrooms, etc.)

19. CDavies98

Both of those - the exhibit is accessible to walk through straight from the entrance, or can be bypassed if visitors wish. The toilets will be upgraded in size and modernised, more ticket booths installed and the entrance will be made two storeys instead of the current one storey building to allow relocation of several offices from old buildings around the zoo which can then be demolished to allow more exhibit space.

20. Ebirah766

@Zooplantman

I have reconsidered my plans for the zoo, and basically, this is how it goes.

First things first: we upgrade the current exhibits in a fashion similar to my previous posts. The animals will have more space to move around. We should also add measured amounts of animals to empty space.

Entrance and reptile house will remain the same as I've discussed, same as the prairie dogs and box turtles.

The hawks in the American section will be put off exhibit temporarily, and their aviaries will be demolished.

A possible merging of the maned wolf/anteater exhibit and the bison exhibit could be possible. However, I'm going to leave this alone. We don't have enough quarantine space for these animals.

The bear exhibit will be expanded so they have more room to roam around. People won't complain, probably.

The groundhog exhibit will remain the same for the time being.

The wolf exhibit will also be expanded.

The Australian section will be torn down in favor of visitor amenities. The animals are placed off exhibit for now.

The big cat section will remain the same for the time being.

Wild New Jersey will be blocked off, as it will get a major overhaul. The owls and ravens will get new, modernized aviaries, and possibly the bobcat's exhibit will be expanded.

Essex Farm will remain the same for the time being, as well as the prehistoric playground.

Amazing Asia will have a slight expansion to make room for the finches.

The parrot/sloth exhibits will be merged into one large aviary.

Gibbon and aquarium exhibits will be remaining the same for the time being.

Pheasantry will remain the same, as will the sea lion, sea turtle, and shark exhibits.

The controversial African predators exhibit will instead be used for... drumroll please... olive baboons! Of course, the exhibit will be expanded to make room for them.

The hyenas and lions will get new exhibits, and they will rotate every week. The exhibits will be of equal size, with planned expansions in the future.

So yeah, a bit more realistic here. Hope you find this better.

Zooplantman likes this.