Join our zoo community

So Now YOU Run The Zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Zooplantman, 15 Apr 2013.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Glad to see you are thinking more like a director. So you are making modest improvements to most of the facility. Now, what do you think your visiting public wants to see happen next?
    Any thoughts on how to make Turtleback Zoo competitive with the other area zoos?[/user]

2. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

Yes. I plan on expanding several zones later, but for now, we have to focus on our upgrades.

I'm going to do some audience research, see what guests would like the most.

3. Ebirah766

Aight, the "audience research" is completed, and I have compiled a list.

Some people want better exhibits for the animals.

Expanded aquarium.

More African animals.

And finally, a tropical zone.

I will lay out a plan for all of this later.

4. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member

My next moves as director of Bristol Zoo will be to

Close Zona Brasil and relocate all the animals. The Capybara, Agouti, Tapir, Warty Pigs and all the birds will move to different collections, the various monkeys will be absorbed into our collection and held behind the scenes until a later date.

Close the Lemur Walkthrough in Monkey Jungle. It is no longer needed now we have a lemur Walkthrough at the entrance and will eventually be re-opened as part of the revamped monkey jungle.

Get rid of the Mara exhibit completely, and move the Mara to a new collection. The exhibit will be demolished and the land prepared for a larger exhibit.

Jambo likes this.
  5. Ebirah766

I'm going to continue on the path of expansion. After receiving several grants from the county and fundraisers, we have laid out a master plan to be finished in 2019.

2018-

Upgrade remaining exhibits
    Finish our current upgrades
    Continue with African expansion

2019-

Expand aquarium
    Build tropical exhibit
    Use empty space for smaller exhibits

Jambo likes this.
  6. Ebirah766

The upgrades are complete. Now we move on to modernizing the rest of the exhibits, and then we move on to the fun stuff.

7. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member

Oooooh yes!! This is my chance! Unless... Have I already commented here? I don't think so...
    This is how I would run Barcelona Zoo; it's now endangered by silly "animal rights" defenders (who don't know anything about animals, of course.) So I must say that I agree with these current species:
    - Reduction of the number of species
    - Emphasis on keeping and breeding endangered species.
    But I disagree with:
    -The will to expel "exotic" species to put in "native" ones, such as tigers and zebra for lynxes and boars.

So, this would be my plan of action:
    1- Continue the work on the Sahel Savannah; completely new lion enclosure and enlarged elephant enclosure. The elephants would also receive the hippopotamus pool once the last three pass away or are moved.
    2- Completely remodel the old "lions and tigers" grotto into a naturalistic Sumatran enclosure.
    3- Completely demolish the "Parrot Square", building a single, medium-sized aviary for parrots in its place.
    4- Place guanacos and crested screamers in the former cheetah paddock.
    5- Completely remodel the former guanaco enclosure into one for Northern talapoins
    6- Once Pedro, the elderly southern white rhino, passes away, move the red-necked wallabies over to his (adapted) enclosure, maybe as a walk-through.
    7- With the passing/moving of the last brown bears, turn the old bear grottos into a habitat for Barbary macaques and Cherry-crowned macaques.
    8- Build the planned Madagascar exhibit in front of the Carrer Wellington entrance. I'd base it on a Madagascar spiny forest, with the already present ring-tailed lemurs, radiated tortoises and Dumeril's ground boas being placed there. White-fronted lemurs and narrow-striped bockies could be good assets. The lemur and tortoise enclosure should be a walk-through.
    9- Move the jaguar and Sri-lankan leopards, remodel the cat complex to be more spacious, and have it house small cats (fishing cat, jaguarundi, jungle cat, serval)
    10- Construction of a nocturnal house under the Savannah overpass. The already established porcupines, flying foxes and scops owls could be placed in there. Galagos and Malagasy giant rats would be good assets too.
    11- Planned remodeling of the Reptile house
    12- Transformation of the grassy field between the lowland tapir and capybara enclosures into part of a shared enclosure for them.
    13- Remodeling of the old coypu enclosure and secondary giant anteater enclosure into part of the main anteater paddock.
    14- Move out the mouflons, completely remodel their enclosure to house Patas monkeys
    15- With the passing of the last pelicans, make a new Eurasian stork enclosure
    16-The Dolphinarium Area project: the dolphins would be moved, and the Covered Pavillion, Aquarama and free buffet demolished. The open field left behind could be adapted into a large bison paddock.
    17- Have the Forest buffalo and European bison enclosures combine into a single one for the former.
    18- With the passing of the last ostrich and camels, turn their enclosures into part of the zebra and wildebeest paddock.
    19- Move the Eurasian storks (Which live in a mountain enclosure) and turn it into an enclosure for a small alpine animal, like rock hyraxes
    20- Transform the old Monkey gallery into a tropical house for tamarins, and add in sloths and agoutis.
    21- Transform the previous lemur enclosure, abandoned Baobab and former talapoin enclosure into an expansion of the gorilla enclosure.
    22- Move out the second gorilla group and give their enclosures to the chimpanzees.
    23- Transform the exhibition space to widen the red kangaroo enclosure.

8. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member

But director, the visitors wouldn't like to see the second group go as they have been attached to them.

9. Zooplantman

How are you paying for all of this? How are you going to manage the City Council politicians to get support for all of these changes?
    And all of this renovation will surely affect visitors and interfere with their enjoyment of the zoo. Can you afford to alienate them just as animal rights groups are focused on attacking the zoo's worth?

10. JigerofLemuria

Ermm, well first of all, this is a fictional scenario, and this is just how I would run it, and in all honesty, I'm giving animals more space and better enclosures. The reasonable populace would be on board, and the minority of zoo-haters is, quite frankly, worth ignoring.
    I... Struggle to see how these reforms will affect the public's enjoyment of the zoo. There are a few reasons why:
    1- Most of these repairs are done from 1 to about 4 at a time, and 75% of the time, you can still see the animals continuously. Notice how I wait for certain animals to pass away, and move one species that was previously visible to another space that's visible. Enclosures are emptied first, and the animals go from visible to visible. Nobody misses a thing. And if they do, it would be for a certain amount of time. Sure, it sucks that you can't see the tigers for a year, but it's worth it to see them in their new habitat months later.
    2- The zoo has two entrances; the one I mentioned and another in Parc de la Ciutadella. When the Madagascar Spiny Forest and Tamarin house are built, it'll be near the Carrer Wellington entrance, but it won't block it off.
    3- Again I'm optimizing the space. Some animals like the rhino, the bears, the hippos, and the pelicans are quite old, and frankly there isn't enough space for them. So I'm thinking of creating larger and more naturalistic enclosures, which honestly would make people and animals happier about the zoo.
    4- The zoo should be about education and conservation. So frankly, while changing some of the big cats for smaller ones could be seen as a bad business move because the small cats don't draw a crowd, that shouldn't be the zoo's priority. It shouldn't be about displaying a popular animal for fun, it should be about displaying an endangered animal for education.
    5- Many of the things I've mentioned (animals dying and not being replaced, the dolphins leaving, the constant and omnipresent reforms) ARE ALREADY IN PLACE. If anything, my plan doesn't contain nearly as many of these reforms and optimizations as the current plan.

I hope this cleared things up a bit.

11. Zooplantman

I remind you of how this particular thread started. It is not like the usual Fantasy Zoo thread:

12. JigerofLemuria

Alright, I think I said the fantasy thing because I wasn't expecting someone to take it so seriously. Frankly, I see what I would do as perfectly realistic. I mean, what exactly did I say that was so far-fetched?

Kakapo likes this.
  13. Zooplantman

Not far fetched just perhaps ambitious for a facility that must run at the pleasure of politicians. It also proposed many changes but none that helped to pay for the cost of renovations or staff. So a nice Curator's wishlist, but not a Director's Master Plan, IMO

14. JigerofLemuria

Noooow I see where you are getting at.
    Frankly, I would engage in a double campaign. On one hand, showcase on TV and the internet how the animals are well cared for and how many conservation and reintroduction programs are carried out at the zoo day by day, in order to better the zoo's image. On the other hand, I'd worsen the image of the PETArds by pointing out their fallacies, lies, hypocrisies and downright ignorance. That way, perhaps the populace could tip in the zoo's favor.
    Also, I do wonder if the zoo is too expensive. Maybe reducing the entry cost, plus a boost in popularity by this media exposure, could end up in more tickets sold and more money made.
    Also, looking for certain private inversions and sponsorships could really help out. Some animals at the zoo are already sponsored by some brands; it just needs to be further motivated.