Join our zoo community

Turtle Back Zoo So the Turtle Back Zoo is expanding the penguin exhibit...

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jena, 29 Mar 2018.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hey so I think this goes in the general zoo discussion. But I am so excited cause Turtle Back Zoo, which is the zoo I go to ALL the time is expanding their African Penguin exhibit and they are also going to include in the exhibit according to articles I read, Zebra Sharks, and Small Monkeys.

So my question though is what small monkey species do you guys think is a possiblity to be going with the African Penguin? Like their are lots of small monkeys out there but Turtle Back Zoo wasn't specific about what kind of small monkey. And the wait is killing me (it comes out this spring though lol) So yeah what kind of small monkeys do guys think might be in the exhibit? Cause I certainly can't figure it out.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are you sure that they meant the monkeys would be in the same exhibit as the penguins? That doesn't sound right. Probably the monkey exhibit will be separate from the penguins. The only monkeys that live near African penguins in their natural habitat are baboons, and they aren't small; nor would they make compatible exhibit animals with penguins.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In regards to the sharks species, are you sure they’re Zebra Sharks?The only shark species I’ve seen mixed with penguins in a zoo are leapord sharks (at San Diego) and thus, I would assume that Turtle Back would go along those lines. Would be happy to be proved wrong though. Also, would Zebra Sharks even be a compatible mix with Penguins?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Turtle Back Zoo Starts Work On $6M Penguin Exhibit
    yup I am pretty sure. The article said that the Zebra sharks would swim along the Penguins in this new exhibit which not quite sure how that will work out. But yup unless I really can't read I am 100% sure it says zebra sharsk...

I'll quote
    " With underwater viewing, guests can watch penguins swim among Zebra sharks and even hunt for their own fish. "
    Unless it's next to them but it does say Among which is interesting. Honestly it did get me confused lmao. You can read the article to see what you think. I am just interested what small monkeys they meant? Cause they said zebra sharks but what kind of monkey?

5. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I'm not monkeys are a good fit for a mixed exhibit with penguins, given that many monkeys, namely baboons, will hunt birds or their eggs at any given opportunity.

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

yeah that's true, unless they are thinking of monkeys that don't eat bird eggs at all.. Idk it will be interesting to see if it is a mixed exhibit or if they are right next to each other or so forth when it opens in a few months (or maybe next month idk when the opening of the exhibit is) I mean the map plan I saw didn't look as if it's more then one exhibit in a exhibit. So I will totally make another thread once I see the exhibit or read about it for myself.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There's a cool time-lapse video of the penguin exhibit being constructed here: OxBlue

I'm not sure I can see how monkeys could be included, whichever species they might be.

Kifaru Bwana and TZDugong like this.
  8. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nice find!

Judging from the time-lapse video the house appears to be rather small? The time-lapse angle isn't the best in terms of judging size but I really do hope the exhibit's bigger than it looks.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yeah, it looks small. I couldn't see any date on it, so I'm just assuming it is the new exhibit - I found some photos of the previous/current exhibit and it definitely doesn't look like that, and it does look like the plans depicted in the article linked a bit earlier in the thread.

TZDugong likes this.
  10. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

yes it is bigger then it looks. I thought it looked small too, but appartently according the article I read which I put the link above is 4,200 square foot building. Which according to my dad (who has built the house that my family lives in) is bigger then my house. And so that is pretty big. (you obviously don't know how big my house is but it's big enough that my friends claim they can get lost in it lmao even though I don't think it's THAT huge but they think it is) Anyways so yeah my dad is in the constructing buisness so when I told him that much square foot he said that is pretty big. Plus the zoo said that they are gonna have 3 levels in the exhibit. A underwater, a ground and above level. And knowning Turtle Back Zoo they seem to somehow come around make things people didn't think they could do. (like I been going to the zoo for so long I became a member there and we were all shocked they had the space for giraffes but apparently there is a lot of untouch forest area behind the zoo and so forth). Like I always never judge a picture by it's size. It's probally way bigger then the photo makes it look. (especially after the whole Aardvark incident... I thought those guys were small base on a small picture in my book and then I went to Philidelphia Zoo and saw them up close and I was Like OHMYGOSH. (they grow to like 5 feet lin length). But yeah I research this zoo obsessively try to find every little bit of articles I can gather. And the small monkeys and zebra sharks is legit I am just curious how it's going to be done. (and wow that was alot I just type but I am just so excited for this exhibit!)

which my dad is usually right in terms of size if I tell him what the size of something is and he'll tell if that's big or not and in this case he said it's pretty big. So only one way to really find out is to go there when it opens! :)

Last edited: 30 Mar 2018
    Kifaru Bwana and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  11. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Update:
    So I just went to the Turtle Back Zoo today, because my dad took me cause mom wasn't home. And I have to say, the new penguin exhibit, judging by the outside it really is much bigger then the photos show. Like really huge. It's still not finished so I coudln't go inside but the outside of the building is pretty big! So still will be interesting when the exhibit gets done

StoppableSan likes this.