Join our zoo community

Söderåsens Zoo - New zoo in Sweden

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 26 Dec 2009.

1. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Next year, in May, a new zoo called Söderåsens Zoo will open in Sweden. The collection isn't the best in the world, but it is a new zoo, with potential, so they will probably build more exhibits in the future. For more info, and pics, visit their website.

Söderåsens Djurpark

Here's the animal list, taken from the homepage.

African pygmy goat
    African hedgehog
    Bontebok
    Cotton-top tamarin
    Pygmy marmoset
    Giant eland
    Flying foxes
    Wildebeest
    Chipmunk
    Bactrian camel
    Red deer
    Llama
    Mandrill (the only ones in Sweden)
    Mouflon
    Coati
    Crested porcupine
    Ring-tailed lemur
    Red-bellied tamarin
    Red-necked wallaby
    Red-handed tamarin
    Slender-tailed meerkat
    Night monkey
    Red-ruffed lemur
    Wild boar
    Common marmoset
    Zebra
    Domestic donkey
    Fennec fox
    White cockatoo
    Bali mynah
    Rainbow lorikeet
    Indian peafowl
    Snow goose
    Blue-and yellow macaw
    Blue-fronted amazon
    Blue-throated macaw
    Common wood duck
    Great green macaw
    Fireback pheasant
    Emu
    Vulturine guineafowl
    Goffin's cockatoo
    African grey parrot
    Horned parakeet
    Hyacinth macaw
    Cape Barren goose
    Demoiselle crane
    Kea
    Crowned crane
    Reeves's pheasant
    Scarlet macaw
    Long-billed corella
    Magellan goose
    Mandarin duck
    Marabou stork
    Mealy amazon
    Salmon-crested cockatoo
    Green-winged macaw
    Common rhea
    Egyptian goose
    African olive-pigeon
    Helmeted guineafowl
    Rose-breasted cockatoo
    Red-breasted goose
    Illiger's macaw
    Satyr tragopan
    Sarus crane
    Laughing kookaburra
    Military macaw
    Sun conure
    Bar-headed goose
    Black swan
    Temminck's tragopan
    Crested wood partridge
    White pelican
    White stork
    Eclectus parrot
    Argus monitor
    Green anaconda
    Green iguana
    Yellow anaconda
    Yellow-footed tortoise
    Boa constrictor
    Leopard tortoise
    Madascar ground-boa
    Corn snake
    American alligator
    Chameleon
    Red-footed tortoise
    Red-eared slider
    Common snapping turtle
    Spider turtle
    African spurred tortoise
    Cane toad
    Four-lined tree frog
    Golden poison frog
    Californian newt
    Chinese gliding frog
    White's tree frog
    Oriental fire-bellied toad
    Cranwell's horned frog
    Red-eyed tree frog
    Iberian ribbed newt
    Tiger salamander
    Tomato frog
    Leaf-cutter ants
    Electric eel
    Spotted gar
    Goldfish
    Chinese snakehead-fish
    Koi
    Black-finned pacufish
    Giant pangasius
    Red-bellied piranha
    Red-headed cichlid
    Red-tailed catfish
    Motoro stingray

This zoo looks like it will have a pretty good collection, for being so new, and our zoos in Sweden aren't so good with their collections either. There are also plans in the future of building exhibits for lions and tigers, so we'll see what will happen in the future...

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I have only just recently been made aware about this new and up-coming zoo in the south of Sweden, thanks to the local papers reporting about a monkey escape from it. It all sounds very promising and serious to me and as I live in the south of Sweden I will be looking forward to visiting it when it opens next year.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You mention bontebok, i would be quite sure these would in fact be blesbok, as there are no bontebok in Europe any more.
    That also applies to the giant eland too, but then again you never know.

Here's the animal list, taken from the homepage.

African pygmy goat
    African hedgehog
    Bontebok
    Cotton-top tamarin
    Pygmy marmoset
    Giant eland
    Flying foxes
    Wildebeest

4. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I might be on thin ice here, as I do not have anywhere near the knowledge that so many of you forumsters have, but is giant eland really an unusual (even non-existant) species in European zoos? Copenhagen Zoo held this species until the new African savanna was created and I believe that the eland herd was simply sent off to some other Danish zoo?

5. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Söderåsens Zoo won't have any rare species but it does seem to be an interesting zoo and I look forward to visiting it. The Tropikcenter in Halmstad has closed down and will move its entire collection to Söderåsen.

@Dan: Giant elands do not exist in European zoos and Copenhagen Zoo has never kept this species. We used to keep common elands as almost every other zoo in Europe that keeps eland does (very few keep cape elands or East African elands).

@kiang: You are right about both species. It will be common eland and bleskbok rather than giant eland and bontebok.

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I see, thanks, Toddy!

7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened to the Söderråsens Djurpark project? From what I can read on their website the project has been taken over by something called Tamarin Djurpark. Did they run out of money and had to sell? It says on the website for the Tamarin Djurpark that they hope to open the park during the summer.

8. Pangolin

Pangolin New Member

From what I've read in Swedish newspapers:

Ljungskogens Djurpark imported animals illegally and when they applied for a "zoo license" from Swedish authorities they were instead charged with criminal offenses (the illegal importation being one, unpaid bills and taxes an other). They later changes their name first to Söderåsens Djurpark, then Breeding farm and now Tamarin Djurpark. They also bought the animals from Tropikcenter, a small, indoor city zoo from Halmstad. However, not all animals were collected from the premises and apparently a turtle was left behind as well as some invertebrates. This is also under investigation from the authorities.

From in information available the same people are behind the park, even though the name keeps on changing. They have also sold animals, collected the money but never delivered the animals. This is a sad story that we surely will be following for a long time since the owners of the park seems very set on opening sooner or later. One can only hope that they will get their affairs straight first. I believe people should be given a second chance but this is a travesty since new problems occur all the time.

9. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Hi
    I get this from the Tamarin Djurpark in e-mail.
    It is translated with google, so everything isn´t right.

"Hi Rickard. You had some questions about our park, which I gladly answer.
    Yes we are taking over the south ridge of land in Billesholm and lease substantially all of their old land and buildings. We have also taken over some of Söderåsens animals but not all. I have no list, but now they are about 20 species.

We plan to open the zoo as soon as we received all permits for public exhibition ready. Our hope is that we open some time after midsummer, but we have much work left. We want everything to be tip top at the opening.

At the opening, there is not all the animals with which we want in the future. We hope for some more animals in the future but we are open on a smaller scale. It also depends on what county administrative board to allow us to have. We are very careful not to have any problems with the authorities so we want to maintain an ongoing dialogue with them. Thus the first condition since animals. In the slightly longer term, we have big ambitions in the animal side and want to show up a lot of interesting animals to the public in nice enclosures and cages.

Have more questions, just let us know.

Yours sincerely

Thomas Berglund
    Chairman of the Economic association Tamarin Djurpark"

10. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Right, so does ANYBODY know ANYTHING about what is going on at Tamarin Djurpark? There appears to be no official website. Does it even hold any animals? And is it open for visitors?

11. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

I think some owners was arrested by the police and the animals was taken to other places

12. petthebird

petthebird Member

They had aquired loads of animals, including various primates before they applied for a "zoo permit" which you need before you can legally hold primates, non-domestic carnivores(excluding badgers) in Sweden. Some of the animals were malnourished and in a pretty sad state, others looked good. As far as I know the entire project is down now.
    After the owners got arrested the animals were either put down, some even on site, or distributed to various zoo´s and holding areas in Sweden.