Join our zoo community

some quick news

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 8 Sep 2006.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Just a few quick points
    Perth Zoo now has a male slow loris, from Singapore zoo I think.
    The youngest female Rothschilds giraffe born at Melbourne Zoo will be going to Mogo - creating another purebred roths breeding pair.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

thats great bout the giraffes jason.

however, i think the loris came from melbourne. they had quite a few at one stage, then the female died (i think) leaving them with three males. they now have two and i'm pretty sure thats cos the other went to perth. slow loris, muc to my dissapointment, are a phase-out species so i doubt perth would import.

but why did you guess singapore?

3. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

But we did export slow loris to Perth Zoo Pat!

In September 2005, 1.1 Bengal slow loris were shipped to Perth from Singapore.

1.1 Perth-bound Slow Loris in holding cage. Photo taken before their shipment
    [​IMG]

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I remember seeing Slow Loris in Singapore - especially at the Night Safari ... we loved these animals !

... and they definitely aren't slow when it comes to food - gave us the fright of our lives when we were staring intently at their slow, deliberate movements, when *bam* one moved really fast to grab some food. Fascinating creatures.

5. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

I thought the male was from Sinapore because the newsletter said " Thanks to Singapore Zoo". It didn't actually state that the loris came from there but why else would they be thanking the zoo?
    Oh and Adelaide zoo has had a birth of a dusky leaf monkey, a male and the first since 1983

6. patrick

weird the regional reccomendations are to phase out the slow loris. perth claimed to be importing just one male of the subspecies (or species depending on the authority) of bengalensis[I\]. zooish shows a photo of two loris and says singapore expoted a pair.....what happend to the female?

that's great bout the duskys. again though, another "phase-out" species, maintained until there are enough francois' to replace them. the plan is that eventually the vietnamese leaf-eaters will be the only langurs in the region. adelaide was to aquire some francois' this year but it desn't look like its gonna happen.

7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Monarto is getting 3 hyena from singapore

8. patrick

i'm glad about the hyenas. zoos zoos are supposed to consider giving the space to wild dogs instead, but i think hyenas are a better choice for a longterm collection than say dhole. although they are not recommended, a few zoos have expressed interest in hyena. i find them facinating since they are not dogs, but moreso aggressive overgrown binturongs in a family all of there own.

why does perth not breed their hyena? are they too old? desexed?

9. Zooish

Pardon my ignorance, but is it Striped or Spotted? We have excess of both species, they're prolific breeders. They have been segregated to stop more births.

10. patrick

my assumption is that any hyena will be spotted. monatro has 0.1 spotted already and are planning on expanding to a breeding group. as i said earlier there is no formal breeding plans in place for hyena's but numerous zoos have expressed intrest in holding this species in the future.

monarto is expanding super-fast at the moment...

11. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yes yes it is, and they are spotted, they are now making many many Raised wlakways and bus stops, you can now pat a rhino at the keeper talk, THey are also planning exhibits for COlobus at the Waterhole and lemurs at the info centre, the colobus will have a moat and then a perspex fence, so the animals get lost in the bush

12. Zooish

Spotted hyenas

Update about the hyenas heading to monarto. Yup, everyone's right, they're spotted hyenas. They are ready for the move but they can't get airplane tickets because of the holiday season! No kidding, all flights are booked!

So tentatively they will be moved to Oz in early Jan.

Not entirely sure, but some of the animals heading to Monarto are supposedly wild-born, surplus animals from Kruger National Park, S.Africa.

13. patrick

hyenas

hyenas, or hyeanas (can somebody please tell me which spelling is the correct one, even books use both!) are a good addition to our collection and i'm hoping other zoos get on board. what this implies for the (i'm assuming) non-breeding pair at perth i don't know.

monartos will make a nice contrast to the wild dogs, so often reffered to by virtually everyone visiting the zoo as "hyenas" andyway. who knows maybe monarto will finally teach some people the difference. certainly i think adjacent exhibits might be idea from an educational perospective, though they are arch-rivals of lions, so there is another interesting option.

they are certainly pretty facnating animals, even if the females do have psudo-penis'! :confused:

14. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

A quick update on hyenas Vinnie (lone female hyena) will not be intergrated with the new ones 4 boys and a girl i think, She is to set in her own ways and tame

15. patrick

thats a shame. why is it that being "tame" would dis allow her to be integrated with the others? do you know if monarto intends on breeding hyena and will perth be involved?

16. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I am sure they will try and breed them another problem is vinnie is terribly overweight, at Whyalla Zoo (where she was sent from perth) she was fed Pal dog food and kept in a small concrete exhbit. she weighs 89 kgs she should weigh 60kg. They dont beleive she woudl cope with them face to face, being elderly aswell