Join our zoo community

Sony DSC HX20V or Sony DSC HX200V --- who's got them?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by stacey101, 15 Dec 2012.

1. stacey101

stacey101 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone !
    Im getting a new camera for my wildlife photography and moon photography on boxing day and have narrowed it down to these 2 amazing guys, anyone got the camera(s)? if so please share a photo or two.
    Also, opinions on which you think is best for the job?

Stacey

2. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I have a HX20V and used it for a few weeks. It's an average point-and-shoot, but the images are full of compression, upscaling, over-sharpening and (finally) JPEG artefacts. There are combinations of settings to minimise these, but I still didn't like the images it produced and therefore the camera has been sitting in its box for the last few months.

It's redeeming features are the large amount of optical zoom and the panorama function, but personally I don't think it's good enough for any type of wildlife photography, and you're probably going to struggle with noise with any type of astronomical imagery.

3. stacey101

:( aw really? In that case I might go with the 200v
    did you have any suggestions in the $300-500 price range?

4. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

If you are going to do any kind of astrophotography, then you pretty much need a DSLR. I've got a Canon T3 that I've very happy with, which you can get for close to $500 US.

5. stacey101

I took your advice! and bought a Nikon D3200...had to sell an arm,leg and 2 kidneys BUT im excited to learn this!

[​IMG]

6. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

What did you get in the end, and how much did it cost?

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Oh, and I hope you got a tripod for night photography.

8. stacey101

Well I got the nikon D3200 + 18-55mm lens VR (package deal for $539.99 Org. $700.00),clear lens filter ($39.99) so I dont scratch the lens and a small 16gb class 4 SD memory card (org. $59.99 got it for $23) For a grand total of $673.84

I was going to get the 2lens kit (the other lens being 70-200mm) but they were out of stock :rolleyes: So saving for a 55-300mm VR in the newyear, along with a new NG camera bag.

EDIT: Tripods (thankfully) in my dads house come by the dozens LOL his friend keeps borrowing them ..not returning them for a year or so. Therefore dad buys another....and the cycle continues

Last edited: 30 Dec 2012