Join our zoo community

"Sorry, no photos!" - Asian pet store aversion to photography

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by RatioTile, 22 Nov 2019.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Not only do I take a lot of photos of animals in zoos and in the wild, but I also take a lot of photos in pet and aquarium stores. However, I’ve noticed that in Asia (at least Taiwan and Hong Kong), many (40-70% in some shopping districts) aquarium store shopkeepers tend to prohibit photography of their fish/animals/merchandise. No matter how hard I reason with these folks they won't relent, even if I offer to pay them to let me take pictures. Whereas in America, PetCo and PetSmart and most mom and pop shops don’t mind and even let you hold and take pictures with bunnies, lizards, etc. The stores aren’t doing anything visibly illegal, so why might they be so strict about this? Is this cultural?

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  2. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

im not sure about Asian stores but the main reason shopkeepers including pet stores prohibit photography is for safety reasons. A photographer could easily take pictures of the animals giving robbers proof of what’s there but more importantly they get the photos of the layout such as where cameras are located etc.

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps some pet shop owners forbid photography because some of the animals have been obtained illegally and a photograph could be used against their business.

Wisp O' Mist and Terry Thomas like this.
  4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Knowing the love of Asians of mobile phones, probably legitimate buyers and animals would be disturbed by lots of people coming only to take selfies. Especially flash can panic some animals to kill themselves.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

As I understand it Hong Kong and Taiwan are hubs for the illegal pet trade and so there is a lot of traffic of wild caught animals coming from both Asia and more distant regions such as Africa and Latin America.

I've seen a number of documentaries dealing with this topic where film crews have actually obtained footage of this trade going on quite openly. Some of this footage must have subsequently led to increased international pressure for closures and crackdowns by the police.This may go some way to explaining some of the aversion you have encountered.

Also, there is strong rivalries that exist between different pet shops and (again as I've read) there is a particularly strong competition by shops that breed and trade exotic fish , apparently a very popular and lucrative hobby in the region. This is a notorious problem and has led to organized crime with some shops poisoning the stock of rivals and robbing (and even killing to obtain) the highly prized arowana "dragon" fish. If you are filming then perhaps this is interpreted as being done covertly on behalf of their rivals ?

Again , this is just based on what I've read , I actually have no real idea of what is going on in East Asia other than that it is ultimately a really crappy situation for conservation.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2019
  6. RatioTile

Today I got into an argument with fishmongers selling live fish who had an interesting fish for sale today. They weren't willing to reposition the fish at a better angle for me to photograph, and then they got angry I went behind the counter to get the fish from an overhead angle, even though one of them (the eldest) said I could. Some people just really hate photography.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  7. RatioTile

Has anyone else here been yelled at for taking pictures of animals in a store, or even a zoo? I’m curious what parts of the world are more against this than others.

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My memory is that @Chlidonias had some similar issues when he tried to view and photograph wildlife markets in some of the Asian countries that he traveled through.

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  9. Yoshistar888

I have been politely asked to not take photos at my local bird store. The reason in Melbourne that stores prohibit photography (thats the only one that I have encountered that hasn't let me take photos) is theres a surprising amount of theft and break ins at pet stores all over the city, most stores I know have had at least one break in the last three or four years.

I know @Moebelle has an interesting story to tell about the Lincolin Park Zoo.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  10. RatioTile

By the way, what kinds of birds are kept at bird stores in Australia? All local ones?

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  11. Yoshistar888

In Australia you are allowed to keep exotic (and a good amount of native) birds without a licence yet exotic reptiles are banned and Native Reptiles such as Bearded Dragons require basic wildlife liscences which are easy to get but add extra cost onto your purchase for seemingly no reason.

Exotic birds in stores are declining and I’ve only seen exotic parrots, no exotic waxbills or finches.

Exotic birds that I have seen in Australian Zoos

Java Sparrow (Melbourne)
    Buffons Macaw (Melbourne)
    Common Ostrich (Weribee)
    Blue and Gold Macaw (Melbourne)
    Green Winged Macaw (Melbourne)
    Black Capped Caique (Melbourne)
    White Bellied Caique (Melbourne)
    Mute Swan* (Formely at Melbourne)
    Red Fronted Macaw (Melbourne)
    Crimson Bellied Conure (Melbourne)

Yep Melbourne has 8 exotic birds............. All but one parrots.

To compare I have only been to my local bird shop three times and have only seen exotic birds (excluding canaries) at one other pet store (a sole Indian Ringneck)

So three visits to the local bird shop has.......

Blue and Gold Macaw
    Indian Ringneck
    Alexandrine Parrot
    Green Cheeked Conure
    Nanday Conure
    Kakariki species
    Slate Headed Parakeet
    Plum Headed Parakeet
    Scaly Breasted Manakin
    Peach Faced Lovebird

Due to a lack of photos I cannot remember much else (exotic wise) from the visits but I am certain there were more.

As for natives, when I went they had

Bourkes Parrot
    Star Finch
    Double Barred Finch
    Diamond Firetail
    Chestnut Munia
    Red Rumped Parrot
    Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
    Eclectus Parrot
    Budgieragier
    Peaceful Dove
    King Quail
    Superb Parrot
    Cockatiel

Once again possibly more

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm quite sure the main reason shop-owners forbit taking photos of their animals will be that they are affraid you could take photos of sick or dead animals and put these on social media.
    Activists like PETA just are waiting for such publishity ( and shop-owners of course not ! ).

Terry Thomas likes this.
  13. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

I've never been to a dedicated bird shop, but a pet store I go to regularly has budgerigars, canaries, cockatiels and a few different types of parrots.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.