Join our zoo community

Sourcing a Matschie's tree kangaroo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by beccabecca7, 6 Nov 2012.

1. beccabecca7

beccabecca7 New Member

As part of my degree I have to do a project which is a proposal to introduce Matschie's tree kangaroos into a zoo. One part is I have to say where I could source one from and I was wondering if anyone knew of how I could find that out?

I have done a lot of research on zoos where there have been successful births of Matschie's in the past year or so but I am not sure how zoos go about discussing which animals they will transfer to other zoos and which they will keep?

I am a newbie to this sort of science and any help would be hugely appreciated! :eek:

2. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In case of Matschie's you made it quite difficult for yourself. There are very few animals in Europe. Cologne and Beauval are the only places in Europe with this species. Beauval has a breeding pair, but I m not sure if they have surplus animals. Cologne has not bred with their pair yet.
    In the case of this species it gives you two options: Import from the U.S. or importing wild-caught animals from Papua New Guinea, although there are some captive Matschie's in Port Moresby but I do not know how the breeding results are there.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  3. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The U.S. has a good amount of Matschie's Tree Kangaroos.

4. beccabecca7

beccabecca7 New Member

Thank you very much for your help! Luckily for this project we have an unlimited budget hypothetically so sourcing from the US wouldn't be a problem!

5. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

Matschie's tree kangaroos are being phased out in Europe in favor of Goodfellow's. This action is being taken to best serve the interests of both species. Your best bet would be to contact the studbook keeper who could guide you in your quest, perhaps convincing you to re-think your decision.