Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo South East Asia Precinct

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by driftaguy, 2 Mar 2016.

1. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some tenders have been issued for a project called South East Asia Precinct, which will include a new Darwin's Restaurant. Does anyone have more information about this project?

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Yay! Have you got a link for this?

I don't have any further information, but have high hopes. I'm hoping for a new South-East Asian zone that basically covers everything from the otters to the orangs, including the tigers, old bear pit exhibits and Willow Lake (and apparently the restaurant too). I don't think the tiger and otter area needs much work, just something to tie it into the new zone, but I rather expect the rest will be changed radically (except perhaps the Lake). I'm also hoping for new species to be added. Looking forward to seeing what eventuates!

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there is nothing online. The links are just the basic skeleton.

https://www.gets.govt.nz/RFAL/ExternalTenderDetails.htm?id=17091017 (Dec 2015)

https://www.gets.govt.nz/RFAL/ExternalTenderDetails.htm?id=17161415 (Jan 2016)

For the first link you can "subscribe to this notice" to get a pdf but I don't know if a general person can do that.

The second one has a couple of lines:

4. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm going to try and request the document plus more information/plans using the Official Information Act. Hopefully that'll get somewhere.