Join our zoo community

South England Trip

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jackwow, 19 Aug 2014.

1. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Now, you can tell me to bugger off. But you could combine a trip to Birdland on your way to Gloucester from Cotswold.

2. Tomek

Tomek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you are interested in a very rare species of birds you may want to visit the WWT Arundel . Still lives there the last surviving specimen of New Zealand Blue Duck (Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos) in Europe (and probably in the world outside New Zealand).

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that, all things considered, your itinerary is pretty much perfect now -though I'm sure some might disagree. The only very slight tweak I'd consider is visiting Marwell first on the 9th in case it takes longer than anticipated -it'd be terrible if you find yourself short of time and having to rush things and, worst case scenario I don't think (Giant Otters aside if they still hold them) you'd miss much if Marwell overran and you had to knock New Forest on the head.

It's been interesting watching your itinerary evolve and I look forward to reading about your thoughts on the places visited and the itinerary after the event. :)

Happy travelling & visiting.

4. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bugger off! :D

I was about to reply that Birdworld isn't on the way from Cotswold to Gloucester! Then realised you said Birdland not Birdworld!

Actually I was at Birdland and Slimbridge on 13 March this year. In hindsight I wished I'd just spent the day at Slimbridge as Birdland seemed quite limited.

5. Jackwow

Thanks for that, would like to see it so will look into the possibility on my last day.

6. Jackwow

Noted about Marwell/NFWP, thanks.

Yes, my itinerary has evolved quite a lot since I first posted it and I'm glad it has!

Although this won't affect the itinerary as such, my brother may not be available the weekend of 11/12 October so I may be visiting him first and starting my trip on 6 October instead of 1 October. That will give me a chance to visit London Zoo and Whipsnade as he'll be working the first few days.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is he still alive?

8. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

A bit of a memory lapse there - I went to Shaldon and Paignton last year, but of course it was only one of three visits to Paignton in seven days. Plus it did not count as an "away day".

9. Jackwow

Paignton must be pretty good then!

10. Parrotsandrew

It is my favourite large zoo, but I stay in Paignton and my usual holiday formula when arriving and leaving on a Saturday is to dash to the zoo for a couple of hours after checking in at my guest house (I usually get there just after 3 p.m. and am at the zoo for 4 o'clock), and then have a relaxing first full day at the zoo. I then have "away days" from Monday to Thursday before a relaxing final day at the zoo - it also means there are no potential travel problems on my final day. Last year was different as I travelled down on a Friday thus having an extra night, so on the Saturday I had breakfast at the guest house (usually I do this only on Sunday and Friday plus of course Saturday before coming home - the other days I am off too early, circa 7.40 to go to Tropiquaria {my usual Monday although I did not make it there in 2012}, then circa 7.05 for the other outings {last year Wingz, Axe Valley and Paradise Park}) before heading to Shaldon and making it to Paignton zoo for about 2.30 p.m. for my picnic, an ice-cream (a first and final day treat) and then the 3.30 Bird Show. It was a mad dash from Shaldon to Teignmouth Station and if the train had not been late I'd have missed it. I could probably spend the entire week pottering around Paignton Zoo if there were not the other places to visit. Last year I also visited the Welsh Mountain Zoo for four successive days and was very sorry when they came to an end.

11. Jackwow

Thanks Parrots, can you recommend a guest house, as I will have one night in Paignton/Torquay.

12. Parrotsandrew

I normally stay at The Mayfield on Queens Road and have done bar once (see next but one sentence!) since 2004. It is a very friendly place but it may be closed for the season by the time of your visit as it does usually wind down fairly early. Following a problem contacting The Mayfield in 2012 (a long story) I stayed at St Edmunds which is only 50 yards or so up the road but is on the corner and has a Sands Road address. It is definitely open all year round and I can recommend it too. Good luck and enjoy your tour.

13. Jackwow

Thanks Parrots, looks nice and £30 for a single :)

14. Parrotsandrew

My pleasure. Hope you get sorted out all right if you decide to give it a try.

15. Jackwow

Booked it, thanks.

16. Parrotsandrew

Good, you are all set for action! All of this talk of Devon and Cornwall, plus the fact that we are into September when I usually go, is making me wish I was going this year! And I should not have started watching "The Zoo Keepers" (inspired by West Country Peregrinations) again.

17. Jackwow

One of my sisters just emailed me and asked if I was going to Longleat on my trip. TBH I had no idea where Longleat was and as nobody suggested it it never crossed my mind. I had a look at their website though and it looks a bit adventure parkish for my tastes.

18. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is just that. However it's a good safari drive and if you like large grand historical old houses and gardens too it's worth a trip. It's about five years since I visited the place. Just turning off the main road and travelling to the entrance you could think you have turned wrong somewhere, at least I did!
    It was at Lomgleat where I saw to date the only black squirrel I have ever seen, wild on the safari drive.

Personally given the locations of Longleat and Cotswold Wildlife Park and your present itinerary, given the choice I would go to CWP if you hav time. At very least half a days outing.

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have only been there once, two years ago and have no inclination to return any time soon! Over priced, nothing much that you won't see elsewhere and much of it resembled a kids theme park. (Sorry for repeating myself, I think I've already said this more than once elsewhere!)
    There are plenty of better & cheaper options available.

20. Jackwow

Thanks Pootle, thanks Pipaluk.

I have no intention of going to Longleat, I think my itinerary is pretty much perfect (thanks to Zoo Chat members) and almost set in stone, although my Jordanian employer might have something to say about that if he knew!