Join our zoo community

South Lakes Wild Animal Park South Lakes 2014 #3

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by alfiethetortois, 3 Nov 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At least they are being honest this time, admission is £1.

3. John2584

John2584 Active Member

I'm going to the zoo this coming Wednesday, is there anything in particular people would like me to look for? :)

4. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Directors? :p

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zebras, I've twice this year and they have not been on show.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The extension area and what is being transferred out and what happens to the old digs of those species moving to the extension area.

7. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Any missing primates? ( Or has the Capuchin Monkey been re-captured yet? );)

8. alfiethetortois

Went to the zoo today... a few things may be of interest;

Rhino's and Girrafes are not on the 'paddock' now.

Couldn't see any Zebra's.

There seem to be at least three 'free roaming' Capybara which wander anywhere from the hippo's to the mixed South American exhibit and as far across as the Tyra.

Didn't see any lions in the morning. Found a keeper who said that they have had a new male lion delivered (!) They had today put the new lion out with the females and locked the old male (Shirkar i think he's called) inside. The new lion was out in the afternoon, but the females seemed to be giving him a wide birth. Anyone know where this lion has come from?

You can no longer go inside what was the old lion house and now homes the snow leopards and the wolves.

The baby Jaguars were off show. Didn't see mum (Bonita) at all, and only dad came out at feeding time, promptly eating most the meat for himself.

The vultures and condors have been moved to the new Avery, leaving parrots, ibis and other smaller birds in the other Avery, which they have also expanded. You can no longer walk around the Avery and in the door to the donkey/bat/kangaroo building. There was a very friendly white bird, a cockatoo of some kind, which seemed to take great delight in being stroked - even lifting its wing to get a stroke 'just there!' - I assume that this must have once been someones pet as it's just so tame and used to humans.

The expansion seems to continue to be cracking on at a good rate. Beyond the bush (which is what currently separates the old site and the new site) there are paths and walkways all ready to go and there also seems to be enclosures ready for new exhibits.

A lot of the staff seemed to have changed. Either that or I came on a day where all the keepers I would recognize were off. Park seemed busy for a Wednesday, but the sun was shining so I guess like us they thought they would make the most of the weather!

I didn't see it last time, but there is a new Giant Anteater in an old tiger enclosure. It seems to be in there on it's own. Seems a bit strange....

There only seems to be one tiger in the zoo at the moment. I believe it's Padang - the male Sumatran (spelling!) after losing Nina and Alisha in the past couple of years. Anyone know what they are going to be doing with her?

Will try to load some pictures!

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Tigers - its upto the studbook and who will deal with Gill. Padang is well represented and not needed for breeding atm so it maybe that he is simply retired and possibly a none breeding female is placed with him should one become available in the longer term

Last edited: 5 Nov 2014
  10. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

DirectorS - Christ no! - one of him is enough !!:D

11. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I cant understand why they would get a new male lion when they already have one .:confused:

Is shakar moving to another zoo???

12. alfiethetortois

They said that both males were staying, and that they were going to be rotating them with the females on a day to day basis. Seemed a bit of a strange move to me! Though maybe they might move one male and a female into a separate enclosure and then have two pairs? Who knows!

13. banham.tiger

Actually i remember them talking about breeding them at one stage however this will be difficult with another male in the same facility.

14. dancharlie29

dancharlie29 Member

Seems an unusual decision to take another male lion? And a brave one considering why happened when they last tried a lion introduction at slwap!

Has anyone got any pictures or more information on the new lion?

15. banham.tiger

what happened?

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Or even what happened when they tried to re-introduce Kadi the Tiger cub,back with her parents!But then to lie about what happened and say she had been sent to a zoo deep in europe,even to her adopters I thinks says it all!

17. alfiethetortois

I loaded w picture of the new male lion but don't know anything else. Hoping to head over weekend after next so I'll ask keepers then in nothing materialises in the meantime!

Last edited: 10 Nov 2014
  18. dancharlie29

dancharlie29 Member

A similar thing happened to with Kadi. They received a third female who was slowly intergrated with whilst. Then upon her first encounter with one of the females she was killed before keepers could intervene. Unlike with kadi there was no lies told about this.

Where did you upload the picture too alfiethetortois ? :)

19. alfiethetortois

[​IMG]

It's here.

I'm confused about what you say about Kadi - dancharlie29 - they didn't 'receive' Kadi, she was born in the park and ended up being hand reared. At the time, there was no real space for her. Snow leopards shared with jaguars and the two tigers subspecies had to share on rotation. They put Kadi in with her mother and she subsequently mauled her to death.

To my recollection, I can't remember SL having two female Sumatran tigers? Alisha and Padang were the only breading pair. The other tigers (Nina and Egor) were Amur. I also can't remember there being three female lions?!

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The problem is Kadi might still have been alive if she had been sent to Dudley,as that was recommended by the studbook at one point!But somebody didn't want to send the first Tiger ever born at the park away!

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Nov 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.